BeautyHacker

ITEM Clinic - Bad Epicanthoplasty and Crooked Nose

Hello everyone. I just wanted to share my honest experience and outcome with ITEM Clinic.
I got epicanhoplasty, outer corner lowering, and revision rhinoplasty with ITEM Clinic in the fall of 2016.
I am not truly satisfied with my results. While some can say there was an improvement (and I agree to an extent), I believe the results are not very ideal.
Concerns:
They advertise a dolly-nose. My friend and I both had revision rhinoplasty here, and she's already gotten another revision. She told me her old nose was exactly the same as mine. I believe in pictures, they are cute, but they definitely follow a cookie-cutter method that doesn't work out well for everyone. For me, my nose was adorable for the first 3 months, but slowly the asymmetry and sharpness revealed itself.
There was a cute slope for a while, but now my nose is more straight and pointy, and it is very off-center, especially between my eyes.
The outer corner lowering was OK and was a fairly easy recover that was overshadowed by my depression from my epicanthoplasty.
I believe the consultant should've advised me better, as I was working with a budget and could only do DES or epi/corners. I believe I should've been advised to simply get DES.
My tall implant along with the over-done epi makes me look so harsh and exaggerates how close together my eyes are. I am truly unhappy with how it has affected my esteem, and regret this procedure deeply. I am looking into reversal surgery (Eve Clinic- Dr. Chung.) Maybe this look would be suitable for others, but I believe how round/open and deep the corners are is unacceptable and unnatural for most Asians. It definitely ruined my cute/youthful appeal and makes me look harsh.

Rebuttals:
I believe ITEM is still skilled in different areas. My friend received forehead augmentation with osteobond, and I believe the results look very good, and she is satisfied with her results. She also is satisfied with her epicanthoplasty and DES. Her breast augmentation also looks very natural (she attained a big B, small C cup.)

Price:
If I remember correctly, my epi and corner lowering was I think ~$600 each or so. I think my rhino (silicone+septum cartilage) was $4k. It was almost 2 years ago so I don't remember clearly.

I have not contacted them regarding this. I do not wish to return to them for eyes/nose again. I am interested in osteobond, but I am more willing to check out MVP Clinic's fat grafting before then. I consulted with MVP prior to ITEM, and I deeply regret not going with them, as they were definitely more friendly and comforting (the layout and staff.)

I've attached some pictures of my results. I will have to dig for my before pictures, so I will update this post when I have them.
38864876_894131520772821_110531799406346240_n.jpg 39024173_834840063573265_4372130051374710784_n.jpg 38975518_1865253860199981_5104534628039917568_n.jpg 38928969_261549797906846_1903218305141833728_n.jpg 38914375_219145952108620_6867554076675014656_n.jpg 38910349_657436057968484_8824069803518984192_n.jpg 38869553_2104194953178691_6705307778648375296_n.jpg
(Sorry, some pictures got flipped. Also, my nose looks different from different sides due to the asymmetry.)

And here is a photo of what I wish were my results instead. I will be showing this to the doctor I go to for epi-reversal. I may be looking into my third (and hopefully final) rhinoplasty with possibly an American doctor. I've been let down too hard by two Korean doctors and am losing faith in them.
wish.png

Feel free to post questions (do not PM me, I want everyone to have access to information that I put energy into posting.)

Hey Dollhouse, I see what you are saying about your nose. It does look a little slanted. But honestly, I think your eyes look great! Wouldn't have thought you got epi done. Wish you the best of luck in the rest of your journey! (:

I haven't contacted them, but it was crooked from the start, but was masked by the swelling. By the 2nd-3rd month, it began to be very apparent as it deswelled. Yes, it's most crooked/off center near the top! :sad:

I do not agree! One was cut more than the other. My eyes look way too centered on my face, which you can't really tell because I cropped the image closely to privacy reasons. Thank you.

Giving the crookedness, it's surprising to hear it wasn't noticeable until months 2-3. For example, this guy's nose was noticeably crooked by day 8: www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmTifgxFZqE

I know cartilage can change shape over time, do you think that might have happened? I would send them an email, I'm sure they will offer to fix for free however whether you want to them touch your nose again is the question.

I have to agree with the other person, I think your eyes look fine, I wouldn't touch them. I would focus on fixing the nose asymmetry, once that's centered you'll be better able to judge the balance of your face.

I noticed it was off-center the first week, but brushed it off, but it became more prominent as swelling subsided.
I just emailed them, but am wary of getting my third nose procedure at the same place. I plan on saving to go to an American doctor and using rib instead of silicone. I'd like the convenience of being able to drive to the doctor if any issues arise vs booking an international trip.

I'll update on what I decide to do!

Not sure if I can help, but honestly, I think your eyes are gorgeous. I wouldn't touch them, but maybe you see something we(I) can't with a few pictures. But I feel mesmerized looking at your eyes haha.

Your nose does indeed seem a bit crooked. I think you can get it fixed to what you want and yes, it's probably smarter (even if it is more expensive) to get it fixed in America. Be sure to give it time to heal before doing it a 3rd time! I hear Dr Donald Yoo and Dr Charles Lee are good with Asian Noses. Good luck!

Thank you! And I agree, they look good but seeing my transformation was hard for me to accept. Some people think I'm mixed when I'm not. I wasn't trying to lose my Asian appeal. I don't want a complete reversal, I just want the corners to be a bit more subtle and graceful. I would like to mention I do struggle with dysmorphia and am a perfectionist. But I definitely know the difference between being overzealous with surgeries and a bad mentality. I think 2 years is a good amount of time of me severely feeling uncomfortable with the drastic change.
Thank you, I will look into their clinics!

Ok you guys are clearly dismissing my real concerns. My inner pink tissue IS overexposed.
Here is a better picture. I don't believe this is a good epicanthoplasty result whatsoever. I've been disturbed by the deepness since the moment I saw myself in the mirror with a nosecast and these deep new corners. Deswelling never took away my disturbance nor dissatisfaction. I've learned to live with my disappointment for the past 2 years, and have tried to accept it, but it has been one of my biggest regrets. Top is my real eyes, and below is a photoshopped picture that I will be taking for when I get revision.
Of course they still look "Asian" as I AM Asian. However, I seriously believe I have a valid concern/issue with my eyes.
Hope you can understand.
Wish pic.jpg

Also, ITEM has contacted me and offered a free revision with anesthetic fee (~$300) due to silicone devation, but I'm still wary about getting my nose done by them again. I don't know if I feel mentally/emotionally prepared to go through another risk with my nose, at least not yet. I'm scared to do a revision at a clinic not known for revisions. I don't want to further complicate my face, which I only have one of..

I definitely want to get osteobond with them, but their prices have seemed to have increased or something.. Maybe I am wrong.
I feel very conflicted now :/

Oh I see what you mean... :sad:. Maybe because I'm a guy and I can't really tell about the subtle things. I still wouldn't have figured it out until you mentioned it. Try to find another eye doctor that specifically can do revision.

I'd do nose revision elsewhere too. If you don't trust them 100%, then don't do it again. Not worth it at all.

If I were you I'd look at doing revision in America. I feel they are better at revision in general.

Thank you. I'm definitely looking into American doctors! And yes, right now I'm considering Eve Clinic for epi revision!

• 5 months later...