BeautyHacker

patient DIED yesterday at MVP.... warnnnnnnnning

I thought it was 12 hours of no food and water to avoid any possibility of regurgitation while you are under GA. That's the standard for Australia.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly my point

@jphuoc
I was told that my tip/alar reduction (first-time) rhino could be done under sedation not GA by JK, a clinic that I am looking at.
Is that unsafe? Please let me know as I am flying to SK soon for consults.

I never had GA before, only local anesthesia. I think I would just voice my concerns to the clinic honestly and see what they say.

Thank you for your advice @MissOrange

Thank you so much for all these tips. I’m going to forward all these important advice to my friends who wants to get PS in Korea

OMG I just saw this. Poor lad and his family.
I am amazed at the flow of events. 911 or 119 took too long to arrive or was not called right away. I guess with the 1100 ps clinics relying on them for emergencies like this , they must be swamped.
The family being local, they were able to secure a lawyer within 24 hours. But still I am amazed how MVP is already declared innocent roughly after 48 hours. The autopsy and/or investigation are too quick like in the movies. I mean, you can’t ecg the dead patient for abnormalities so their pathology/forensic lab can turn around faster for a compete autopsy so fast. Cardiac arrest on young patients need not just a regular autopsy but a detailed neuropathological and cardio with toxicology autopsy.

So is it like “business as usual” for them? I mean, you gotta question the characters of these caregivers who you hand your life to. They may behave more professional from now on (Like act harried in front of cctv) but really the true characters of people show in knee-jerk/life threatening events.

I hate to imagine this happening to any foreigner like me, unaccompanied with love ones thousands of miles away. I’d probably just be a statistic.

American Society of Anesthesiologists recommends at least 2 hours for water/clear liquids and 8 hours for meals, excluding patients with uncontrolled diabetes who have delayed gastric emptying. But I mean, of course play it safe and follow clinic recommendations. 12 hours without water is overkill in my opinion. Most anesthetics cause a decrease in blood pressure... and being severely dehydrated definitely does not help.

I am not familiar with anesthesia practice in South Korea. I have never seen a rhinoplasty performed under conscious sedation, but it depends on the depth of anesthesia used. If the surgeon relies primarily on injections of local anesthesia at the surgical site, and you are kept relatively awake, there will be a lower risk of aspirating blood or stomach contents into your lungs since your body is “awake enough” to protect itself. However, the greater the depth of anesthesia, the higher the risk of aspiration without an endotracheal tube secured in your airway.

I'm saying its just a possibility. Its like if you never come across something, most peoples reaction would be scared or wary right? So if a clinic doesnt train their staff to be well versed in emergency, their reaction can be one of panic. I'm not excusing their behaviour, but suggesting a possible reason why they behaved that way. Some people when they get nervous or panicky, they laugh. Its just a personality trait that some people have.

Like missorange said, some of them are nurses assistants not even RN. Therefore some of them may not even be hospital trained. Therefore, they may not have been exposed to medical emergencies and do not know to conduct themselves. I dont know the standard of training in korea compared to here. But even here as registered nurses, we run through sim scenerios every 2nd week, so we know how to deal with different situations.

Hence why I stated, if they were well trained and KNOW what to do in emergencies. Then this would have been a different story.

Thats just my point of view. Take it as such.

Haha. We do. We have 200 staff in our unit. So do sims on a bi weekly basis. So by end of the quarter at least most if not all has experiences in an sim environment. And we take it in turns. We grumble about them. But see the benefit of it. It really helps to see what needs to be improved on so its a good thing.

I find this so surprising as even my local community centre has one!

So scary. They don't care about safety. Money is important.