BeautyHacker

what is the point of living after my disfiguring surgery?

I cannot find words to describe how crippled, devastated, depressed I am. I curse the day I walked into that Korean Clinic. I was a pretty girl, I just felt my cheekbones were wide, but I could still cover them with my hair and I was pretty nonetheless. Now, I look 15 years older. My whole face is disfigured. I curse that unscrupulous surgeon. I did my research and consulted so many clinics and he was the one who seemed the most knowledgeable and was speaking good English and answering my e-mails personally. I was put off by the other clinics who had staff responding to my e-mail inquiries and their responses were irrelevant. Also, the surgeon I ended up choosing told me he has been doing this for decades and has never had a complication.

I cry every single day. I haven't dated, gone to a hair salon since my disfiguring surgery. I cannot put into words how horrible I look, and much much much older because that bastard severed all of the facial ligaments and tissues and everything collapsed. A simple face lift won't even do anything. I had to go through bankruptcy as a result of this because I lost my job, I couldn't pay my bills and I had to consult several surgeons.

The good news is that my health insurance would cover 100% of corrective surgery to fix the malpositioned fractures. I would need hip bone grafts to close the huge gaps that that bastard created. This is a nightmare.

So, the other reason I wanted to stay in the US is because the insurance is going to pay. But, you people told me that in Korea they are experts, so, I contacted Korean clinics and they say they can do the operation, but they want lots of money. How do I know they are not lying and they are not as bad as my original surgeon? My original surgeon has a very famous clinic and yet every single craniofacial surgeon who has seen me is shocked. They say "why didn't even use plates?"Should I just kill myself? I know there are people with deformities, but, I am angry because I brought this on myself. Also, the problem with Korean clinics is that their pictures are fake, so, it's hard to gauge if one is really good or not. I am attaching again the cat scan image to remind people of what can go wrong. Look how huge the bone gaps are.

I’m sorry that you are feeling so terrible and are going through a rough patch. There is every reason to live. You are healthy right? You have insurance right? Those two things some don’t even have. You can get through this, don’t give up.

Thank you. Yes, physically I am healthy but the insurance can only be used in the US, even a plastic surgeon from the US. I want to fix this as soon as possible.

I’m sorry you are going through this. I wish you the best of luck in your search. I’m glad you are able to get it paid through insurance although it limits you to a US Surgeon. At this point, you need to do your research. Contact surgeons who specialize in craniofacial surgery that that this type of experience. I saw your other post about wanting to go to Charles Lee. I’ve spoken to someone personally who had her cheekbones reduced by him and literally did not see a difference at all. Now she is getting a revision in Korea. I don’t know if Charles Lee is the best surgeon for what you need. Please reconsider other doctors as well.

I know it is hard to look on the bright side right now but don’t give up! I’m sure it can be fixed! Just need to find the right surgeon. I will do some research and post here if I find something for you.

Sassygirl, thank you so much for your nice words, it means a lot to me. I actually consulted Charles Lee and he said he can't take my case. He was very honest. Too difficult for him. He said any craniofacial surgeon who does facial reconstruction for traumas would be able to take this case. The problem is that my case is too big for typical plastic surgeons but too small for craniofacial surgeons who will operate only if your face is missing due to cancer or accident. In any case, I appreciate your words and I would give anything to trade with your friend who saw no difference. Better to see no difference than ending up botched like me.

Don’t despair. You are young and the world lies ahead. Everyone ages, faces will sag (mine does). It’s great that insurance will cover it.
I don’t think cranio doctors will discriminate between accident/cancer and revision. If you are worried about the aesthetics of cranio docs then maybe do it in 2 steps: have the bones fixed in us then later do a lift somewhere else.

I'm sorry that you have to face such horrible experience but please don't give up. The insurance will help and everything will be better soon. I wish you the best for your revision and I hope you get a new even greater job as well.

can you name the clinic ? TFD ? :0 it might help other too....

I want to thank everybody who has shown support to me. It means the world to me. I am 24 and I look 41, at least. I am not exaggerating. When people hear my age they are shocked. I get comments from anybody asking me what happened to my face and why it looks so weird. Yes, the fact that insurance will pay for the surgeries is fantastic, but, I need to find a doctor in the US> I can't believe craniofacial surgeons are able to reconstruct faces from people who were disfigured by accidents and are not able to help me. As for the name of the clinic, you can contact me privately and I will gladly tell. The cat scans prove the damage that was done to me.

one girl said that we all age, and that is true, but this is much more severe than simple aging, because the ligaments, tendons, facial muscles were severed by that bastard. This is not simply aging. It is waaaay worse. This is literally a deformity. I tried to take several pictures to show, but, you can't really appreciate in pictures, you need to see me in real life, there are all sorts of shadows, disfigurements, dislocations in my face. It's absolutely horrible.

I'm so sorry that you had to go through such a terrible ordeal, we all try to make the most informed decisions we can and there is always heartbreaking news of this happening. Thankfully you have corrective measures, I did send you a pm asking for the clinic so we could stay far away. As for now, just self love and simply more research is needed for the new change. Lots of love and support! :heart:

I wrote another thread and i included my picture and specified the clinic

• 5 months later...
I'm sorry this happened to you, it makes me rethink hard about where I get it done or not.
Can you tell me.the name of the doctor that did you?