BeautyHacker

Fraudulent Clinic: Paid surgery not performed

Hello everyone,

I have a problem with a clinic in Japan. I've paid for 2 surgeries thinking that I would get both done at the same time. While I was under the general anesthesia, my doctor decided to perform only one of the two. After the surgery, I was told that I could come back to finish the rest. Now, I try to contact my doctor and he refuses to reply to any of my emails. I know the emails have reached him and that the clinic still exists. I'd like to get a refund for the surgery (about $2k USD) that was not performed ASAP. What do you ladies recommend that I do?

Thanks in advance!

I'm sorry to hear that. That's kinda weird how they do not process the surgery you've paid for without any reason. I suggest you to ask via phone call instead because e-mail sometimes does take a while to reply as the doctor or assistant might be too busy.

Hi I actually tried calling, but their phone is a toll free number and won't accept foreign calls :-/ Thanks for the suggestion though

I am actually shocked too. Since he doesn't sound like he is willing to go forward with the second surgery, I just want a refund...I don't see anything unfair with asking a refund. I actually tried calling, but their phone is a toll free number and won't accept foreign calls :-/ Thanks for the suggestion though.

You paid for services and one of them was not performed, you should definitely receive a refund. It sucks you'd need to come back and go through the whole trauma of surgery, being under GA, and recovery all over again. I would not be happy if this happened to me.

Did he discuss with you he might not perform the second procedure depending on what he observes while doing the first one? What reason did he give for not performing the second surgery that day and instead wanted to have you come back? For example did the first surgery run longer than expected and he didn't want to keep you under GA that long? When were you suppose to come back for the second procedure?

I think you'll need to up the threat level since they are ignoring you, if you can find someone who knows Japanese, I'd email them in Japanese and threaten to take the case to the Japanese medical board and whatever consumer protection agency or better business bureau type places they have there if they keep ignoring you. Another thing, mention you'll post your experience to the review sites they use in Japan (their yelp, realself, etc), thus you'll need to write them in Japanese for them to take that threat seriously. Those things will affect their business so they may finally respond to you.

Sorry to hear that @GPR i think if he did ended up not doing any surgery it has to go with your consent, and communicated to you directly no matter what the reason might be. They told you to come back, did you try to go back to Japan and go to the clinic to undergo the procedure?
I agree with @Gats you should email them in Japanese / hit them up on every SNS they have. Or ask someone's help who willing to do that for you if you don't speak the language. Ask politely first and then if there is no good will from them, you can always upping up the ante.

Clinic is located in Ginza, Tokyo, Japan. Definitely avoid!

I had blood test before the surgery and apparently I was anemic. He told me that I was anemic but he did not tell me that he would only perform 1 surgery.

Thanks for the advises. I had blood test before the surgery and apparently I was anemic. My doctor told me that I was anemic but he did not tell me that he would only perform 1 surgery. Since I visit JP quite often and the surgery is not on the face, I thought I can come back and get the other surgery on my next trip. He told me since the second surgery is only 1 hour, he told me that I can "come back anytime for the second surgery." He would not respond at all, so I asked for a refund for the surgery that was not performed. I actually contacted them with a friend who knows Japanese but still won't reply. I will ask the consumer protection agency for help.