BeautyHacker

Dr Baek(H plastic surgery)

I have a consultation booked at H for cheekbone reconstruction and maybe chin reconstruction in approximately one month. I haven't been able to find any surgery reviews for him on Korean websites like Naver, but I checked him out and he is a board-certified plastic surgeon. His youtube videos and explanations seem legitimate and look hard to fake (especially all the before and after x-rays) and in the videos with real-life patient photos, you can see that the patients wear the same black/white headband to pull their hair back. His reconstruction blog also has like 10,000 followers so I thought a consultation wouldn't hurt to see if there's any connection as a potential patient and doctor. If there isn't no connection or I feel like he doesn't fully understand what I want, I'm not sure where I would go.

According to one of his blog posts, google translated, it seems he tells every reconstruction patient not to write a review post on Korean social sites. He writes you can bash him online if you don't like the result or whatever but that ultimately good reviews aren't "helpful" to the surgical patients themselves. That is, he says in his blog and on his website that if you are happy with the result, it should be the last surgery and patients need to fully move on and live their lives without constantly thinking of reconstruction surgeries. And writing reviews is a sign of them still holding on to the surgery or something.

That’s very interesting. It def wouldn’t hurt for people to see him for a consult. I’ve seen his YouTube videos and I agree he seems very knowledgeable. I noticed he uses custom pmma implants. I’m concern if these implants can cause issues later in life and if they’re toxic to the body?

Wish you all the best on your consult. Please update us on how everything went.

According to what I've read on Realself and whatnot, non porous implants like pre-fabricated PMMA and silicone seem to have very little long-term risks. The general consensus seems to be that such implants, if they /were/ to get infected from contamination from the surgery, it would occur in the first month post op. They could get infected years later but predominantly if you caused it somehow by ways like poking the implant with filler needles (skin bacteria gets into the implant) or like dental anesthetic needles poking the implant. After the initial healing of two-ish months, it seems that getting a non-porous implant infection for no reason is very rare.

I do worry about the risk of infection, short-term and long-term. But on his blog, Dr. Baek writes he's done roughly over 2000 facial contouring reconstruction cases in the four/five years he's transformed his PS clinic into a reconstructive PS clinic. He writes only 4 of those 2000+ patients got infections caused by direct contamination from surgery but there are several patients who go back to him with implant infections from getting botox/fillers above the implant area at other PS clinics.

Infection is my main concern. But at this point, it's a matter of wanting to look normal and eliminate the sagging I have. With there being people who've had silicone chin implants for like 20 or 30 or 40 years, I wouldn't worry about toxicity in the body. PMMA has also been used for reconstructions in the early to mid 1900s, and surgeons still use it for forehead implants and stuff so I don't really worry about toxicity.

Do you mind sharing why you want to get reconstructive facial contouring surgery? I am considering this too.

I received cheekbone and chin reduction surgeries. Unfortunately it was over-reduced too much in my opinion and I want to improve the aesthetic result. Rather than cutting the bone and building it back out blindly, I believe a more accurate and aesthetic result can result from preformed implants.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Hello do you have any update from chêk recontruction
Thank you

• 1 month later...
Did you end up having the surgery ?

• 1 month later...
So sorry that your surgery was not successful, Remodelling. Can you tell us more about your experience? Which area did you reconstruct?

I am hoping to rebuild my cheekbones after a disastrous surgery. I watched many of Dr Baek’s YouTube videos and he sounds very knowledgeable but there aren’t many reviews online and it would be really helpful to hear back from real patients.

• 2 weeks later...