BeautyHacker

My insecurity..

Have you guys ever overcame your insecurity through the plastic surgery?
I never liked my flat face and small nose.
I'm still not sure of getting plastic surgery but people seem more confident after the surgery.
Can you guys please share your stories if you can relate to me?

• 3 weeks later...
Yes. I’ve actually never talked about this in my life lol, not even to my own plastic surgeon. Anyway, I was always cute/pretty from the front, but I had a massive nose so if I turned my face even a little to the side, I would feel hideous, almost like a monster. This started when I was about 14 years old. It was so twisted too, like a weird S shape in certain views. Trust me, it WAS hideous. One time in class, my own crush commented “wow, you have a really big nose”. It really hurt! I already knew it was huge, and to hear that confirmation was devastating.

I always wanted it “fixed” as I grew older. It came to a point where I felt extremely nervous whenever I had a passenger when I drove my car, because they would see my side profile! It was also an awful time speaking to someone across from me, as I would do my best to only look at them from the front and not move to any angle. I started obsessing over it in the mirror. I began photoshopping my pictures and eventually I had a friend tell me, “you look so different in your photos...” in front of a huge group of classmates! I was mortified. Believe me, this whole nose thing was never something to do with vanity for me, but rather, everything to do with insecurity. Rather than just my face, it had started taking over my life. It sounds dramatic, but I’m sure you know what it’s like to have a personal insecurity start to feed on your spirit.

So now I’ll skip to full recovery after my rhinoplasty. I could not even believe that really was my own new nose. It was so cute, and so natural looking! Only those who saw my everyday noticed, while others who saw me after a year or so, told me I looked so different but they couldn’t tell what changed (again, it was a very natural result). Rather than feeling nervous about my side profile or other angles, they became my absolute favourite. Not only did I look mostly the same from the front (which I had wanted), but in addition, the massive nose was now small, scooped and adorable from every view. When I visited Vegas, believe it or not, I had two girls (together, they were friends) tell me I had an adorable nose. Imagine going from someone insulting a feature, to having someone praise it! I couldn’t resist, so I did tell the girls I had my nose done. They were shocked!

However, it’s not about those 2 comments on my nose (the mean one and the nice one). This was all about controlling my own insecurity. I must say, I’ve never felt more confident and comfortable with not only my nose, but my entire appearance. Sometimes an insecurity is like a smudge on an otherwise nice canvas. I’m so surprised how my outlook shifted so much. If anything, I regret waiting until after college grad. If I had only known my life would feel so different for myself after this, I would have done this after high school. I feel a lot of my years were, no, I KNOW a lot of my years were wasted with my low self esteem. Obsessing over something so insignificant in life, but so major to my brain. If I had dealt with it sooner, I would have gone out more. Not have been so shy with guys. Not constantly feel like dying while driving with a passenger or presenting head on to a class. I would have been able to enjoy my conservations with others instead of hyper focusing on whether my nose angle was off or not.

I know my surgeon always says to everyone to only get plastic surgery if your confidence is at least a 7/10, otherwise he recommends counselling or to really look into improving mental health first. I always believed I was at that level, but clearly not, since now I feel so good that looking back, it must have been more of a 3/10! Anyway, it’s hard to explain to anyone why this was such an important issue for me, so I’ve never spoken about it.

I can tell, people are kinder to me, treat me better and I myself feel miles better. It’s silly, for sure. However, I’ll never feel vain for having gone through with all this. It’s more like finally I truly fit into my skin, and if society and its modern beauty standards were always going to be this harsh, then I’m glad I didn’t live my whole life letting those standards crush me anymore.