BeautyHacker

Heavy swelling after doublejaw/v-line, almost 2 months post-op

Thank you for sharing this. I'm getting v line and double jaw this spring, and I want to be mentally prepared for everything. I'm not a professional, but according to your scan the result looks nice! I've read thousands of reviews here and on realself about double jaw, and the recovery experience is so different depending on the person. Some people do blow up like a fish, and it takes a lot of time for swelling to get down. Speedy recovery!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on the direction of jaw movements. Many clinics in Korea like to move the jaws back which actually causes sagging and can cause airway problems. VLINE can cause sagging because you're losing volume. It's pretty much guaranteed to have some sagging iirc with any sort of shaving procedure

As a nurse and someone with sleep apnea, this was a major concern for me and I'm getting both of my jaws advanced at TFD because they're the reason I have apnea. If you are worried about sagging, get them advanced.

Swelling also is going to be a thing for 6mo to a year from what I've been told, but most of it should be gone within a few months

Please wait for at 6 six months to a year. I know it’s not easy but residual swelling can take many months to disappear. Hang in there.

• 2 months later...
Hey everyone. Hope you're all doing okay. I am now 6 months post op double jaw and v line surgery. I suppose if there's anything good at all to come from the horrible coronavirus right now, it's that I can get plenty of time inside to heal... I hope nobody has gotten sick. It's very scary right now.
As for my swelling, I'm still not very happy. I am in the process of trying to lose 30 lbs right now and hoping that may help me. I'm already at a healthy enough weight but I hope that by a years time post op, I will be both skinnier and my swelling will have gone done nearly entirely. I read that some of the problem can be too much soft tissue, and maybe if getting rid of some of the fat will hope my face shape better.

What my face looks right now is as if invisible hands are dragging it down constantly. Lol, I'm sorry, I don't know how else to describe it. I can definitely see the shape of my jaw it I move the skin up and back, but otherwise, my face is still very long-appearing and squareish at the jaw due to all the sagging. I have incredibly chubby cheeks and a double chin, and on the right side of my face I realized that I have persisting nerve damage. The soft tissue around my face has draped poorly on the new shape beneath to say the least, but the right side of my face is the worst. If I touch the area of my cheek beside my nose, there isn't any sensation at all, except strangely I feel it in the inner corner of my eye. I hope this nerve damage goes away with more time.

I've looked into face lifts/cheek lifts/thread lifts. I can afford thread lifting, but would want something more permanent. If anyone has any recommendations, let me know. I may post before and after pictures if anyone is interested in the future. Like I said though, I want to give this another 6 months time so that it's been a year of healing... To anyone reading this, I hope I am not scaring you away. TFD was very caring, as was Dr. Lee. I fear that I am just unlucky, as my healing time is taking longer than others.

Hi I feel the same way as you have been feeling
I had my two jaw surgery in Dec 2019 too. I am almost 5 months post op and Dr. Oh from Regen illegally did a full v line on me without my consent. My neck has been severely swollen since , esp on my right. I had an ultrasound today just to make sure if it is my normal lymph nodes or submandibular glands exposed or if it is still swollen. I am 95 lbs and was 108 lbs. My neck is abnormally long now. He really went overboard and over shaved my jaw. He brought back my jaw too much now and I have a severely narrow airway, sleep apnea, choking. I have to get a revision surgery.

Did you move your jaw forward or backward?

I cry when I write posts too. I have therapists and also don't like to go outside to show my face.

I don't think my neck is sagging but it s just too much bone got cut off.

I think they did warn for facial contouring you do need to get a threadlift, face lift later. Not sure about more permanent.
Yes please show us some photos or PM me.
You can see my photos on the other post called V line,neck swelling

Hope your recovery turns out well Soda.

As the other posters have said, Twojaw recovery can take a long long time. I've heard several people saying that they saw their swelling continue to go down past a year. You could take monthly photos of your face and see if there's any progress in the de-swelling process.

I'd also be interested in seeing your photos if you feel comfortable.

Have you reported this to your surgeon? 6 months in, you shouldn't be severely swollen. If anything you should only have minimal swelling or more like residual swelling as at 6 months mark you are close to your final result. I would recommend seeking a second opinion with an oral and maxillofacial surgeon or craniofacial surgeon locally after lockdown is lifted. It sounds like your facial tissues are drooping because of the lack of support. I've read a couple of posts on Realself where a patient had jaw and chin reduction and they ended up with very saggy skin. They went to a triple board plastic and craniofacial surgeon but for whatever reason she ended up with sagging skin. She had a facelift with another surgeon and it solved her issues. Another thing is it could also be scarring but if it feels like actual skin and soft tissues then yeah it is sagging and you may need a facelift.

Do you know which surgeon she went to for facial contouring and facelift surgeon? I’m in the same boat.

If you can provide a link or dm me that would be appreciated.

It was a male to female transgender patient who went to Deschamps Braly in San Francisco for the initial procedure. She was very happy in the beginning but after a few months her skin started to sag. So she went to see another surgeon in the US for a facelift and she is now very happy. I think the jaw and chin reduction were done well but due to the lack of support her facial tissues started to sag.

Dear @sodapops, please hang in there! Sending you my love and good wishes.

Thanks for warm messages everyone. Here are the before and after pics.
As you can see, I had a very heavy jaw, so it only makes sense that there would be a lot of sagging with less bone underneath.

From the front image, it feels as though my face is still quite long which bothers me. I am hoping that after a facelift/threadlift, I could help with that and make it more how I originally intended.

Does anyone have any recommendations for what I should do here? I'm 25, and some doctors may not want to perform a facelift on me, but do you think this would cause an exception for that? Thanks everyone.

Your face seems to have been reduced a lot according to some pics angles. facelift could help but you need to wait a year in order to deflate totally

I also got twojaw and swelling lasted more than a year...
I’m not even 30 and planning to do a facelift