BeautyHacker

DES in Sydney, Australia

I 100% agree, if I'm going to go through all of that I definitely want it to last. I've briefly looked into a few clinics in the past and I know exactly what you mean by none of the B&As looking 100% right compared to photos of those who have gotten the procedure done overseas. It wasn't until I saw yours and looked into Dr. Leo Kim, that I felt a bit more confident about having the procedure done in Australia (also felt iffy about getting it done overseas). As I'm from Adelaide, I need to figure out how many days I would need to spend in Sydney and how much time I would need to take off work etc. I just have some questions:
- Do they usually take the sutures out 6 days after or is it just dependent on the person? And when do they want you to return for a check up after the sutures have been taken out.
- Also kinda of a silly question but do you have normal lid closure now (no lagophthalmos?) as thats something I've always been worried about with DES and I've also thought whether it can damage the glands in your eyes causing dry eyes as well
- Does the clinic that you went to offer payment plans?
Sorry for all the questions, I haven't previous had much time to look into this seriously until recently spending more time at home.

All good with the questions - I'm here to help and know that there's a lack of info around Australian surgeons on DES, which is why I posted this whole review! :smile:

It'll never compare, I think, in terms of the best result from Korea vs best result from Australia, since Korean surgeons just get more experience in general. That's still not to say that it'll be better to get it done in Korea for all the mentioned concerns because foreigners (non-Koreans) are always going to feel a level of uncertainty - some more than others (like you and me).

I can't answer for certain and I definitely think it's worth emailing Dr Kim/the clinic those questions since I can't answer them 100% for you but I can tell you what he told me so hopefully this helps.

- Interstate patients: With special cases, Dr Kim will do a video consultation and then a face to face one the same day of surgery depending on how the video consultation goes. Again, like I mentioned, he needs to feel like you're 100% on-board with his vision before he decides to perform the surgery. Please note also, you may still need to pay the initial consultation fee and video consultation will obviously still hard to judge the anatomy of your eye without physically seeing you.
I think this will also be the case for after your surgery - given you're interstate, you can voice that you won't be able to keep travelling back and forth for check-up's, Dr Kim is really flexible.
The pattern for me was 1 week after stitches were out, then 2 weeks after that (1 month after surgery) and now we're booked for June (3 month post-op).

- Taking out sutures: I'd say 6-7 days. I honestly think that's just the normal time-frame in general. My 97 YO grandma had to get 12 stitches near her eye and also took those out in about 6-7 days.

- Normal lid closure: From my pics, it looks like after the 3rd day, my right eye was able to close without an issue. I haven't noticed this as a problem but checked now, and it closes fine. Dr Kim did also mention this in the consultation and that he avoids cutting too much skin off to prevent the eye from not closing properly. I think that is obviously dependent also on the amount of swelling you'll have post-op.

- Payment Plans: Definitely need to ask Dr Kim about that, I wasn't informed of that when I went.

I did also ask heaps of questions in my first email to the clinic. I think it's important to do so especially since you're paying for the initial consultation so if they don't tick your prerequisites, you won't need to waste your money and time (that was my mentality going in so I didn't feel bad bombarding them with questions).

Let me know if you have any more questions/concerns :smile:

Hi
How much time off did you take after the surgery?

Hey!

I took 1.5 weeks off work (as sick leave - which should be acceptable at all workplaces if you tell them you have a personal surgery). I was really open at work though about the surgery so I wasn’t really worried to look more swollen going back to work. Dr Kim recommends 2 weeks before returning to work/school and should be willing to write you a dr cert for that amount of time.

Hi

• 2 weeks later...
***Update***

Officially 2 months since my surgery!!

Attached eyes open and closed close-ups, comparison to 1st month and selfie version of my eyes too (comparing 6 weeks to 2 months).

Definitely settled more in terms of swelling but happy that the crease hasn’t dropped too much! My left eye is more a in-fold now and right one is parallel... if you look at the photo of my eyes closed, you can see my left eye fold under the incision line. There are small bumps (if I look really closely) on the incision line, assuming it’s still healing and that may be the reason why it’s folding under and making it more an in-fold now. When I run my finger along the incision lines though, I can barely feel anything which is so promising!! The scars are evidently less red as well! Otherwise, definitely looking more natural now.

Thanks!! :biggrin::biggrin:

Are you from Australia? If you are, I’d definitely reconsider.

I had those exact thoughts too and that’s why I originally wanted to go Korea! But honestly, everything adds up if you do it overseas.

The surgery itself might be 2-3k, but you have to include flights, accom, visa and food. That’s probably another 2-3k or more (estimating since I haven’t been overseas in ages). Worst part is you’re paying to be in another country and you’ll be staying around your hotel for at least a week.

Obviously just my own opinion and I know a lot of people do that and have no issues. But it just seems like a waste to me and a shame to miss a good opportunity to tour a foreign country, even if you’ve been before.

Hmmm yeah I wouldn’t recommend doing it in Australia if you don’t live here.

Honestly, you’ll be surprised but there are good surgeons for DES in A LOT of different countries - it’s just a matter of finding them and filtering them out from the crowd. It is definitely possible, just takes a lot more work.

Australia is far from being a well-known place to get DES done but I just put in 1-2 years of effort and research to find the clinic I found in my hometown.

• 2 weeks later...
***Update***

2.5 months since my surgery!

Today I noticed that my right eye is starting to normalise into an in-fold now!! It’s really starting to look more and more even! It’s definitely still slightly higher than my left and may stay that way, but I’m extremely happy with these results!

As much as I know it won’t stay this height, I actually really like how high it is currently and hoping that it won’t drop too much more from here on out.

Also, managed to have a face-to-face follow up with Dr Kim on Monday and he says that the crease heights are measuring up to be very even despite my left eye folding below the incision line. Swelling is still visible to him but my healing process is looking really good so far!

PS did a 1.5 month vs 2.5 month comparison since it looks visibly less swollen + right eye’s out-fold looks more obvious.

Thanks for your informative post, your eyes look great. I wish I’d seen your post before I got my eyes done in Sydney in 2015 by a so-called reputable surgeon. He charged me over $7k and caused all sorts of problems from the crease being placed way too high. I’m hoping to visit Seoul soon for a second revision stemming from the problems he caused. I kick myself everyday for not doing my research properly as it would have saved me a lot of money and heartache, so posts like yours will really help others avoid the mistakes that I made. Would you happen to know if Dr Kim does eyelid revisions at all?

Thank you for the positive feedback!
I definitely do feel there is a huge lack of reviews for Australian surgeons so decided to do a comprehensive review on my own experience.

Dr Kim does do revision DES which he says is quite common (not as many as revision rhinoplasty), however, in my latest follow up (25/5) he did mention that he is considering to focus on skin cancer only to allow him more time to spend with his family. So I do suggest that you book a consultation in soon if you want to do it with him.