BeautyHacker

How can I make my calves smaller?

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm from Italy! Since I'm going alone and I'm a little scared, I really wanted to find someone to go through this, and support each other. Are you also planning to go alone?
I still have to write to Dr Park, anyway I hope it wouldn't be a problem to have the surgery done in summer, althoguh it would be more annoying.
Have a nice evening!

Ah Italy. You need to email Dr Park as he needs to set aside a time for you. You will need to stay around two weeks in Korea as well. He only finally books you in when he has seen your confirmed flight details but he appears to be very flexible.

• 2 weeks later...
It's been 6 months since i had my surgery in taiwan so i'd like to share my progress. My initial measurements were 37.5L/38R and now both of my legs are sitting at 37 steady. To be honest i'm quite disappointed with the results. My boyfriend and friends told me that they couldn't tell the difference.... which is very discouraging! I did email dr. Jong to find out if it's still too early to tell (which i doubt) or if there's anything he can do although i would really hate to go through the same operation again.... I can't say that i should've gone to dr. park instead because dr jong really is a good doctor and he had his reasons for not removing too much muscles. I'm not sure if he just didn't remove that much, or if the muscles grew back...? The circumferences were a lot smaller a couple of months ago and I was so happy with the results but again I'm not sure if it was because I wore compression socks 24/7 or because the muscles grew back.
Dr. jong has not yet gotten back to me but when he does i'll let you know what his opinion on this is. But right now i'm not a happy camper!

Dear Hallychallenger

Thanks for the update and it was too much to go through for so little. Unfortunately it appears that Dr Jong is a lovely person but that does not cut it. You wanted slim non bulky calves and from the responses on this forum only Dr Park creates that. If you decide to go ahead I would use Dr Park.

It seems like I'm not the only one on the same boat, which isn't a good thing, but I do hope we both get it resolved. I'm at about 10 weeks POST-OP now and I honestly don't see a difference either (along with everyone else), ASIDE from the fact that I'm wearing stockings 24/7 when the weather is hot xD. As of these two weeks, I probably wrap on the compression bandages about 3-4 times a week, this is Dr Jong's recommendation as he believes my legs could still be swollen.

What I did notice about my legs that was not the case in the past is that when I squeeze my calves when it is relaxed, it is actually hard. Before the procedure, when I squeezed my calves in a relaxed position, it would jiggle around and feel like a ton of fat, while now it feels like I'm squeezing an orange? Basically a lot harder than before, I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but I'll see what happens in a few weeks. As of right now, it's still hard for me to get off of bed and walk normally right away and when I do wrap my legs in the bandages, my whole leg becomes extremely sore, stiff, and numb, very very uncomfortable.

Like HappyChallenger, I would NOT want to go through this procedure again, this is not an easy procedure and recovery was difficult, I couldn't ever imagine having to do it over again, those three days not being able to move on bed were hell.

Hi both Happy and Queen, so sad to here such a trauma for nothing. I was speaking to a lipo doctor and he said mine was muscle and lipo would not do any good. He said I should put my legs in cast for 6 weeks and muscles would reduce naturally. I have heard similar. I think hearing your stories the casts are starting to sound appealing I would rather hobble around in casts (£10,000 RICHER with travel and expenses and procedure

Ok so Dr. Jong got back to me and this is what he said, I'll copy and paste:
"legs of some women are prone to swelling. Please continue to wear compression stockings and send me some pictures after three months.
For me, excising too many muscles is impossible to convert. So I did the surgery in a more conservative way. I saw the size was getting smaller in some of my cases when I compared the pictures and ultrasound measurement in a few years after surgery."

ok so I think what he's saying is my legs are still swollen and it's best for me to continue to wear compression socks for a few more months? but I don't think my legs are swollen at all. I think he's probably saying that to make me feel better. Dr. Jong did not deny the fact that my legs don't not look like they have reduced in size and altho he said some patients' legs are still getting smaller few years after surgery, I feel like this is probably a minority if it happens at all....
Anyway, I will continue to wear compression socks for a bit longer but hoenstly don't think it'll change anything. SIGHBALLS!

Happy Challenger I have no doubt he is a conservative doctor and does not take too much BUT that is not the purpose of the operation - whereas a lot of girls seem to sail through it this is not regular stuff and recovery is long. There has to be significant reduction to make such an operation worth it. I agree your legs are sounds like a cop out to keep wearing the stocking - OK at this stage probably necessary but it is clear to me he has not taken even to justify such an operation.

Camber, yes i completely agree with you. After so much money and time and trust put into this whole procedure and seeing absolutely little to no improvement to the appearance of my legs really depresses me :sad:

Happy the doctor in his email is not apologetic. I wonder why he thinks women are flying away to Taiwan to have such an operation for no results. I inferred from his response that he felt it was acceptable and he was happy to leave it at the legs are swollen. So that is not what I call a caring doctor. I would rather have a doctor who did a great job and had absolutely no good manners.

Walking! Really tones the legs. However, running keeps you looking young. ;)
All the serious runners I've known look years younger than their age.

Annaleesa
I think everyone has genetically bigger than normal calves therefore it has nothing to do with tone and all to do with bulk. Yoga, running and all the usual things do not work. Thanks.

Hi guys, I did my calf reduction in 2014 by selective neurectomy and I'm re-doing the surgery this summer!!! This time, I really need to get it right, because I'm not doing the surgery a third time.

I'm trying to decide if I should go to Taiwan or Germany or California. I consulted with a doctor in Toronto, but he really wants me to do ANOTHER selective neurectomy, and I'm not willing to take that risk. However, after reading that two members got their legs done in Taiwan and see no results, I'm starting to feel a bit wary about going there. In theory, I don't understand how you can remove mass from your legs without your legs shrinking in size. I'm not a scientist, but it doesn't make sense, so maybe he's right and your legs are just swollen? I also understand why he has to be conservative, as it's probably a liability issue for him. I can understand your frustration, though. That said, it's very discouraging to hear!

The doctor in Germany doesn't perform partial resection and only does total resection of the medial gastrocnemius. Has anyone done the total resection method? It sounds really scary, but I'd rather lose an entire leg muscle than do another surgery and see no results.

Princes I went to see the doctor in Germany and he told me I did not have muscular calves and wanted to laser lipo. I DO have muscular calves and have told so by a number of other lipo doctors. He will suggest selective neurectomy but as you know it doesn't work. The Dr in California also does not appear to have the skill to do the resection and will suggest a form of Selective Neurotomy called RF. Same thing. Doesn't work, hit and miss. It takes more skill to do the partial resection and only Dr Park seems to have the skill to reduce the muscles in size. I understand the Taiwan doctor is being conservative but that is not the purpose of the surgery. I have ruled him out completely. No point. Keep in touch.