BeautyHacker

How can I make my calves smaller?

I can't say much about Botox as I don't have experience with that procedure. However, I can share what I found from my research on Botox targeting slimming of the calves. Botox is generally used on facial muscles which are smaller in size. In order to slim calves, which are bigger muscles - would require large amounts of Botox. Botox is also a temporary solution as effects will wear off around 3-9 months. And this of course depends on the person as everyone's body is different. I can't say how effective the treatment is. But I did read a forum (I will link it below) and many surgeons do not advise or recommend the procedure. This is mainly due to the amount of Botox required to shrink the calves.
On the other hand, I found a news article on a woman who chose to do such a procedure and was very satisfied with the result.

As for me, I chose calf reduction because in my personal perspective, I would not want to go with something temporarily that would require me to go through many procedures to keep slimming my calves. And since it depends on body, I'm not sure how effective Botox is on me. Of course this is my personal opinion for my body. I do understand that Botox does seem less invasive as it does not cut open the skin. But injecting large amounts of Botox that requires multiple sessions, might be dangerous too. So you might want to consider that or consult with a doctor about the long term effects it would have with the body.
If anyone has any research or thoughts on Botox, please share too. I'm pretty interested in learning about it.

References:
https://www.realself.com/question/botox-slim-legs
https://www.realself.com/question/botox-kalf-smaller
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2864709/The-women-having-Botox-fit-boots-promises-shave-inches-chunky-calves-doctors-warn-cripple-kill-you.html

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there.....not sure where you're from but if you do decide to have the procedure done with Dr Jong maybe we could go at a similar time. I've been in touch personally with several of the people you refer to and also with Dr Jong ....and yes overall shape is clearly more important than the amount taken to avoid depression in the leg. The majority of people appear happy with the results.

Thank you for sharing useful info reg Botox !

No problem! :biggrin: Let me know if you have any more questions on this or calf reduction. I might not know everything about these things but I would be happy to help you find the answer together :smile:

• 3 weeks later...
haven't visited this site in years, but came back to report my beautiful calves to hopefully be of help to others. I am 5'3 and always have been about 108 lbs with 38mm calves. I am extremely athletic and was a state gymnastics champion in high school.

You (since u are looking at my post) can all relate: avoided shorts, skirts, dresses. dreaded swimwear... So I started researching about ways to reduce my calves. for 2-3 years, I read everything related to calf reduction including medical journals, blogs, text books, etc. Thereafter, I went to Seoul on a business trip and met with 3 doctors who specialize in this procedure and after much deliberation and second consults, I chose Dr. Park from OZ.

Result? Since 5-6 years ago, I've been wearing nothing but short skirts and dresses and have been absolutely thrilled. I have lost no power in my legs as I still hike several hours at a time and bike all day long. all that exercise has not compensated the other muscles as some claim. absolutely no lingering pain, nothing.. I have been 32/33 since the surgery and am thrilled. it's def the best investment I've made for myself.

I have posts from 5-6 years ago with more details. I just want to help all those beautiful athletic ladies who worked so hard to build their bodies and are left with bulky calves. I hear your pain; let me know if I can help: [email protected]

I don't work for him; in fact, I haven't been in touch with him for years. When. saw him a year after the surgery, he thanked me profusely for sending ladies to him via this blog, and I just thought I spread the word to benefit both parties. If you decide to consult with him, however, just tell him "sexy legs" from a blog sent you. I told him my nick name---not sure he'd remember. I might go back for another procedure; perhaps he might give me a discount.

I often get comments like "you have beautiful legs--so slim yet tight and firm." cost me several thousand but certainly worthwhile.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi!!! I'm going too in the same period. Where are you from? Give me your email address!

I'm so happy for you! Update soon. Wishing you a breezy recovery.

Thanks amici1992 :smile:

Hi guys! I'm leaving Taiwan and going home in a few hours. My recovery is going alright. I can walk in elevated sneakers. I had been in a wheelchair, mostly, until yesterday afternoon, when I returned the chair to the clinic. Unfortunately, after I started walking last night, I stretched my right leg too far when going down a slope and pulled the muscle. I was in considerable pain. I feel better today, but I think it's set back my recovery.

Before I left, the doctor told me he'd taken out out 200 and 180 grams of muscle from my legs. My left leg was more muscular, so he took out more. Compared to what he took from other forum members, I think it's a bit more, but I think I'm a bit taller (163 cm). I had specifically asked him to take out more muscle. He didn't really say yes or no, but I hope he took my request into consideration. I tried not to be obsessed with measurements and numbers, so he could do his job without pressure. I trusted his judgment, and trusted it was sufficient to put forward the request to be more aggressive with muscle removal. After surgery, when I was asleep, apparently, he let my mom take a picture of the removed muscle before they threw it out. The picture is truly disgusting, but I had to see it. If anyone is curious, PM me.

I'll update you guys on my recovery and results. I think it's still too early to say if I like the results.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys,

I didn't write much after my surgery. But thought I should be sharing my experience of this whole ordeal. So let's start.

I will start with saying that this: The whole process - from deciding to book my appointment and flight to having the surgery and even to recovery (now) - was not easy.
For me, the hardest part of it was from an emotional aspect. I have been on this forum on and off for years till I decided to do the surgery. Despite the research and speaking to the ladies who had the surgery through this forum and email, it's very hard to feel entirely ready.
My experience might be harder too, as I didn't have much support when I decided on the operation. My boyfriend was flat out against it, telling me he can't support my decision as he thinks it's 'wrong'. And by wrong - he means 'unnatural'
This weighed further onto my self consciousness and doubts on the operation. But long story short, after all these years of reading other people's experiences and research, I decided go ahead with what I wanted instead of listening to what other people thought was right or wrong.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, support (at least in my experience) was very important. Without it, there will be moments through the process where you'll feel very lonely.
Luckily, I was fortunate enough to meet a girl who had the same surgery as me a few hours earlier from my operation. We became good friends, supporting each other while we were in Korea - and still keeping each other updated on our recovery even when we're back home. (And we live in different countries too!)
I'm very grateful for meeting her, my trip definitely wouldn't have been as smooth as it was without her. Thanks for keeping me sane buddy.

I'm back home now. Still in recovery. Still doing my stretches. I can walk, bending down (low squats) are still a little difficult to do but not impossible, and running... is it still running if it's not fast? But overall, I do feel like I'm getting better compared to when I was in Korea.
I haven't measure my legs, but they definitely do look slimmer. I'm still keeping them tightly wrapped. I have this fear that if I loosen them up for a long time, they'll get bigger haha.

About Dr. Park:
If you find my previous posts, I was quite skeptical of him (even despite after choosing him...).
From the shared experiences of the wonderful ladies that had the same operation, what I got was that the two main doctors that are mentioned are Park and Jong. And the main differences between them are what muscles they cut.
I picked Park because he seemed to be the doctor that cuts out the most out of the two. And I picked him even after reading experiences where a few ladies commented on him being not very compassionate and understanding of his patients.
Dumb right? The reason for this thinking process is while I was still deciding on doctors, I thought to myself that he if does his work well, I shouldn't care much on how he treats his patients. (I'm laughing at this memory right now)
Well, after I decided and booked my appointment and flight, fear grew inside me. The whole - not caring how he's gonna treat me or if he's gonna show me compassion for the pain I will be in - was thrown outside the window.
Of course I cared how I was going to be treated! It's an operation, with results that will last with me for the rest of my life. How could I not care if the doctor I picked won't listen to and care for me?!
But by then, I already booked my appointment and flight - flying out in 2 weeks. (Background story: There wasn't much time between the decision, booking the flight and doing the operation - think Shia Labeouf shouting 'Just Do It' - this was how I was feeling at the time so I went with it.)

When I first arrived at the clinic, the impression the receptionist gave me was rude - It was the way she asked me for money for the surgery that gave me that impression - felt like she was demanding it. Park was okay, told me what muscles he was going to operate on and what risks there are. Can't say it was a very positive impression, more like neutral cause it's just a plain doctor's visit. But this changed as the time I spent with them grew. After the operation, I was in pain and a nurse took care of me overnight.
And let me say, I wasn't the best patient or even ideal. Cause I puked, cried and complained of the pain like a child. But this nurse took it, helping me whenever I called for help. She taught me how to stretch - painful - but she was very patient with me throughout the whole process and kept smiling to lift my spirits.
The receptionist that I thought was rude at the beginning is actually a very nice and caring lady. She welcomes me whenever I go for follow ups, and helped me call a taxi - even walking me downstairs and waiting with me - all while holding by the arm to help me walk. We exchanged contact info and she texted me on the day I was boarding the airplane, telling me to have a safe flight home.
She gives me an assertive Asian motherly figure vibe - strong at pushing you to do stretches but also looks after you and takes care of your needs.
And Dr. Park was not the un-compassionate (is this a word?) doctor I thought he was. From my experience, he really cared for me and my friend. Reminding us to do our stretches and scaring us with the point that we won't be able to walk if we stop. (It doesn't sound as funny in writing but it was funny in the way he told us.) He's not the warm kind of doctor that would baby you but more like the kind where he has expectations, and he expects you to do it.
My friend and I are a bit silly, especially when doing stretches at the clinic, so he'll come out and watch us, joke and laugh with/at us. For my last follow up, I hugged him goodbye!

About the surgery...
Right after surgery, you won't want to move around much. Your calves are in pain and it doesn't feel good. It's not any kind of sharp pain, but just a dull numbing sensation. Standing up is going to be tough. So walking to the washroom will be difficult. Tip toeing is easier but should not be relied on - it'll hinder your progress on learning how to walk flat footed.
On top of this, you're going to be asked to do stretches with feet flat on the floor away from the wall then putting your lower stomach on the wall in front of you. In my experience, I hated it at first, it was hard to stretch the muscles and on top of that - with the pain - its very hard to find motivation to do the exercises. (but highly recommended as it really does help you walk better faster)
Tip for stretching: It worked for me so if you're finding it difficult to stretch you can try it too - I usually start close to the wall and have my lower belly touch the wall. After 30 secs or so (depending on how comfortable you are), regain posture and step back a little further. Then have your lower belly touch the wall. Repeat until you get to your ideal distance away from the wall. For me, this helps warms up my body and muscles, and by slowly increasing the distance away from the wall, I believe it makes the transition easier.

For the surgery, you'll be asked to bring a pair of wedges which will help you walk easier right after the surgery. For me, I brought a pair of wedges but I didn't wear it. In my honest opinion, I think not wearing it helped with my walking. Heels do help only at the beginning of recovering because it makes it easier to walk - but imo, it will also hinder your progress later on. But then I didn't like wearing heels anyways so I asked to borrow the clinic's flat slippers for a couple of days. (I couldn't wear my own shoes as my feet were swollen).
With flats- getting up every time, you'll have to adjust your feet and legs to be flat and straight but soon you'll be able to walk after they are stretched and adjusted.
Tip: Bring shoes that you can stretch out in, or even better, get a pair of larger shoes. You feet will be swollen for your duration of the trip. You can either buy shoes in Korea or bring shoes that you can increase in size (like loosening up shoes laces). For me, I wore my converses (but they were already half a size larger for my feet), so I just loosened up the shoelaces and was able to put my big feet in.

I went over the 1000 words limit , So I'll post the second part here.

Living Arrangements:
I lived at the hostel - Kimchee Gangnam Guesthouse. This is two subway stops away from the clinic or around a 8 minute taxi ride away. I do not recommend staying here - as its not very clean. I also heard from other travelers that the shared rooms smelled like piss. Though they are a cheap option if you want a private room with your own washroom. Breakfast includes toast and cereal.
My friend lived at the clinic's recommended hotel - and despite it being double of the cost of my single room, she had a driver drive her to the clinic and back for every follow up as well as a American style-ish breakfast every morning - and what i consider real food haha.
I really like the idea that she had someone drive her to her appointments - as I can tell you, first couple of appointments after surgery - you'll want to taxi to the clinic cause walking to the subway station from the hostel I was at, took double or more the time it would take a normal walking person. Also there wouldn't be the hassle of the walking up the slanted roads - (walking up a hill was hard on the legs)... And there were quite a few slopes around the hostel area to the subway station.
Tip: After surgery, it'll be difficult to walk up slopes - walk side ways instead. You'll look weird and be really slow but walking like crab does help get you up to the top.

While recovering:
I highly recommend exploring Seoul even though I know it's not easy at first. But it's something I did - went exploring, go on tours and watch shows. I'm not that into shopping, though I did read that some ladies on here did a lot of shopping, so that could be something you'll like to do if you're into it. People in Korea are friendly and helpful, I find. So don't be afraid of getting lost! Exploring definitely made this trip that much more worth it and enjoyable.

** Hmmm, I'm sure there are a lot of things I didn't cover so reply to this post if you have anything you want to ask or know about my experience there. **

After every workout, I stretch the muscles of my legs to maintain the flexibility & elongate the muscles to them leaner. It works for me