BeautyHacker

How can I make my calves smaller?

Hi everyone,
I'm very much interested in calf reduction. I'm Korean and I want to get it done soon, but I need parental permission first since there's no way I can get it done without them finding out about it.
How do you guys measure your calf circumferences? I'm 5'6", 110 lbs and when I just measured my calves, they were around 40 cm! I always knew I had big calves but it's worse seeing solid proof of it like that.
My main concerns about the procedure have been voiced here before. I'm worried about any long-term side effects that would prevent me from high intensity / impact workouts, loss of motor control, etc.
My calf muscles seem to start lower on my leg than most people's. Does anyone else have this too? I haven't done enough research to see which method will address this best.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Misswallflower,
I've been following your posts and I have to say that I'm in the same boat.
I'm very insecure about my calves. When I brought it up to my mom, she shot it right back down as a lack of confidence. I have plenty of physical attributes that I love about myself. But I absolutely hate my calves.
Being Korean American, I've just started doing some research online. I've read about a lot of cases where complications include constant pain when walking/standing and can't help but be a little apprehensive.
Have you decided to get this procedure done for sure? If so, when are you planning to get it? How did you manage to convince your parents?

I'm currently trying to convince my parents too! Their biggest concerns are safety and "morality". My mother, in particular, is unbelievably stubborn and hard to convince. :sad:
BTW, where exactly did you read about those cases? I can't seem to find any.

I dont know anything about this paralysis. The intense stretches are necessary because post-op, the muscles will have the tendency to want to shrink aka contract which is why Dr. Park tells you to bring 2 inch wedge heels. You have to slowly stretch your muscle back out. By week 2 I was able to be back in sneakers. Really know what you are talking about before posting scary stuff. if you read stuff somewhere, post a link so others can see if it is legit for themselves.

ooh_la is really scaring me. xP

I have not heard of this surgery causing paralysis, and none of the people who have said it is an issue have presented any evidence or links to where they have read that information.

I had the surgery 16 months ago and I can walk, run and jump just as well as I did before the surgery. The stretching is so that you can heal faster as the muscle will contract post-surgery - it has nothing to do with paralysis.

Same here. She thinks it's entirely vanity and that once I get one feature fixed, I'll develop an addiction to plastic surgery.

Are you Korean? If you search for "Calf reduction surgery side effects" in Korean, you'll get plenty of results ranging from news articles to forums. Of course, you'll need to take any of this info with a huge pinch of salt because so much depends on the expertise of your surgeon. In Korean forums especially, you never know if a lot of the information is based on hearsay or if anyone's being paid to subtly advertise a clinic.

I'm sorry, I didn't intend to scare anyone! I want this surgery as much as you guys do.
I wasn't aware that I was voicing any concerns that haven't been expressed in this thread before.
Although Dr. Park has an amazing reputation, if I ever get the procedure, I also want to consult other clinics favored by local Koreans. That being said, I think it's better to be aware of all the possible side effects, especially considering the invasiveness of the procedure.

Again, I don't mean to scare anyone!
But someone mentioned the lack of evidence regarding side effects.
http://english.donga.com/srv/service.php3?biid=2008121550508
http://www.valinew.com/bbs/board.php?bo_table=1_1&wr_id=113&sca=���Ƹ������Î
http://cafe419.daum.net/_c21_/bbs_search_read?grpid=zptZ&fldid=J8Q8&contentval=0001Hzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz&nenc=&fenc=&q=&nil_profile=cafetop&nil_menu=sch_updw
The first link is in English.
The next two links are Korean, both from the news channel KBS.
They talk about side effects including paralysis of the calf/ankle which forces women to walk on tiptoes.

ooh_la said:
Same here. She thinks it's entirely vanity and that once I get one feature fixed, I'll develop an addiction to plastic surgery.

Are you Korean? If you search for "Calf reduction surgery side effects" in Korean, you'll get plenty of results ranging from news articles to forums. Of course, you'll need to take any of this info with a huge pinch of salt because so much depends on the expertise of your surgeon. In Korean forums especially, you never know if a lot of the information is based on hearsay or if anyone's being paid to subtly advertise a clinic.
I'm totally on the same boat!

Edited by girliciousgirl

I can't read Korean, so I only read the first one. I wish they would have indicated the names of these two plastic surgeons! :mad:

So you feel completely normal?
And do you have any regrets?

I'm glad that your surgery went well. :smile:

so i read the article online and this is what it said"The cosmetic surgery clinic received two million (1,457 dollars) to three million won (2,185 dollars) for non-incisional calf reduction, which reduces muscle bulk in the calf, and partial resection of gastrocnemius muscle by using ultrasonic waves."

So the two methods are ultrasonic waves and non-incisional calf reduction in the article. The one that dr park does is endoscopic, which is different from the other two methods I believe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Nevertheless, It does not mean the endoscopic method does not carry the same risks.

Thanks for pointing that out, Jackkki--I didn't notice at the time :smile:

Has anyone ever experienced hard spots in the calf where the muscle was removed? My recovery has been sooo slow... Dr Park says its because of poor circulation. Anyone else experienced a very slow painful recovery and then developed hard spots? I just can't wait to get back to feeling normal...any sugestions would be so appreciated.