BeautyHacker

How can I make my calves smaller?

are you saying that your calves grew back to same size, became hard and painful to walk?

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi dancinmama, massage for sure will help circulation. if Dr Park said can massage, then you should massage. Also, soak in hot water? Can you do that? You must massage the hard spots. Thats what my masseuse does with my back and she says poor circulation. I just booked my tickets. I dont know why it took me so long to decide on which airlines. I mean, it's not like I can take the Concorde so it would always be at least 14 to 16 hours. Can I ask you some practical questions on what to bring etc? Will email you.

jackkki, you are right. i actually wrote to Dr Park about this. Going to look for reply now and will post.

my question to Dr:

Also, please tell me that this article below is not the procedure we are looking at? http://www.zimbio.com/Cosmetic+Surgery+News/articles/164/Class+action+Suit+Prevails+Against+2+Plastic

Dr's answer:

The article was written wrongly because the jounalist couldn't differentiate partial resection of Gastrocnemius muscle and nerve ablation.
As you can read, the doctors who were suited performed nerve ablation which can cause severe neuralgia and many complications.
That's the reason why I don't perform nerve ablation which is not effective and is more dangerous.
Partial resection of Gastrocnemius deals only muscle, not nerve.

hello girls, shall we start a THINGS TO BRING and THINGS TO DO post? We have this post in this thread so no one will miss it and all the girls who have done the surgery could also post their advice. I am just thinking we are all individuals so it will be helpful to have as many suggestions as possible even though no one will take everything! I will just start and if anyone likes this, please just expand by adding on.

THINGS TO BRING FOR SURGERY:

1. Wedges
2. Sinnech (Yllom told me this)
3. DVDs!!
4. Books!!
5. Probiotics
6. Knee guard (im bringing as I am sure knees need to be strong since calves will be sleeping...)
7. Money (surgery, food, what else???)
8. Compression stockings (do we get them or would Dr Park have them?)
9. Computer

THINGS TO DO BEFORE TRAVELLING
1. book air tickets
2. change money into USD or EUR
3. ask Dr Park to book hotel
4. book transport (any advice anyone?)
5. check temp in Seoul (5 deg celsius now)

Thanks for asking Dr. Park about this!
My main concern, however, is not the english article, but the two Korean links I attached below. What does Dr. Park think about them?

Hi girls,
For those of you who have undergone the surgery, I was curious if recovery is complete enough at around 2 months post-op for you to climb stairs without discomfort. Thanks!

Hi girls,

I have spent months to finish reading this post. I am EXTREMELY OBSESSED with calf reduction surgery. I have been very self conscious about my calves. I will never wear skirts/shorts without boots. I hate how I cannot wear nice dresses especially to WEdDINgs/ balls/ etc..

To be honest, I feel very uncomfortable while reading this forum. All the muscle spasms, and pain, injections.. etc.. makes me feel dizzy.. But I just know I have to overcome this fear in order to reduce my calves..

I believe I am born with big calves, since both all my family members do have this trait. Not only I have the problem with big calves, but also BUNIONS.

Because of bunions, this creates the 'bow' shape for my legs. I also know my knees aren't performing perfectly. Because I was an athlete before and I have injured my knees a lot. I was also told that the weakness of my knees causes my calves to appear more bigger

So far, in order to reduce my calves non-surgically is stop exercising (except yoga and pilates), using slimming gel (evenings & mornings), and wearing slimming socks. I actually think they work (temporary), but I am still not satisfied by my bulky muscles. I know the ultimate solution is to do surgery. (I don't have time to massage my calves for 30 min everyday)

I have a couple questions to ask you girls who did the surgery.

1. Which doctor did you guys go to?
2. What is your before & after calve sizes
3. Do you guys have bunion problems?
burlingtonorthotics.ca/orthotics/images/bunion.jpg
4. Do you feel that you use more strength on the knees?
5. Do you feel unbalanced while walking?
6. For those who went to Dr. Jong. He emailed me saying how you can't jump as high and stuff. Is that a big difference?
7. I am considering saving $ to go to Korea/Taipei for surgery, if I were to go, how much $ should I save for surgery/food/hotel/transportation/shopping(just a bit)

.jpgThanks!

I feel better than normal - after years of hiding my legs I can now wear short skirts and skinny jeans and not feel self conscious! My only regret is that I did not find out about the surgery earlier.

gingersnaps99 said:
I feel better than normal - after years of hiding my legs I can now wear short skirts and skinny jeans and not feel self conscious! My only regret is that I did not find out about the surgery earlier.
I'm happy for you. :heart:
what are your before and after measurements? And is the visual appearance of your calves obviously different than before?

I hope you don't mind all the questions!

Edited by girliciousgirl

currently,
did your calves get any bigger from the initial post op of 32-33cm?

Just a FYI, in the calf resection procedure, muscle is REMOVED.
Once part of a muscle is removed, it can't grow back, so for anyone who is worried about whether their muscle will grow back to 42cm from 36cm or something, do not fret, because those muscles cannot and will not grow back.

From all the feedback I've read on Dr. Park's calf resection surgeries (OZ clinic), it is the best option to choose.
The recovery period does last around 10 days, and it will be the most painful of the options, but few, if no complications have come up in his patients.

For those considering nerve ablation or some other method, understand that complications include having one side of your calves actually get bigger or even paralysis.
Some patients who get those other procedures eventually end up going back to the clinic to get the calf resection anyway since it is the method that removes the most circumference around the calf area.

I am actually considering getting the surgery this summer, and my mother (who is Korean) has been chatting with Dr. Park. I've also been talking to him as well. My mother knows I've struggled with my huge calves (42m in circumference)... I even went on to run 7 miles a day in hopes of leaning out the muscle and removing fat, but they stayed the same while the rest of my body got skinnier. I feel that I'll finally be able to feel comfortable in my own skin.. It's so embarrassing to go to the store with my mom and try on leather boots, only to have the zipper get stuck halfway... I'm a really sensitive person, too, so sometimes I'll let out a little tear or two. It's the same thing for pants; I want to wear normal pants!! I'm tired of bell-bottoms lol.

So I'm also wondering what I should bring for the trip. I'm not sure if Dr. Park offers compression stockings for the calves post-op, but I think the clinic sells them. I do believe you can get same quality compression stockings at a more affordable price via Amazon.com, so be sure to check all options beforehand if you want to save more money (and spend more while in Korea lol).

hi i've just been trying to find out as much information as posible, cos actually finding impartial advice is VERY hard!!! so i've been asking a plastic surgeon some questions, maybe it will help some of you: http://www.lookyourbestuk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=46513&p=476441#p476441

Also I found a blog of someone detailing the process for the first few days, to be honest there aren't many pictures but it is still useful: http://get-smaller-calves.blogspot.co.uk/

actually this is one thing that bugs me apart Dr park's post-op pictures, the curvature of the inside of the calf is always much lower, i guess beggers can't be choosers though!! :P

Also please be careful on the long haul flight and remember to do excercises because the risk of blood clots is increased after surgery :smile:

Gsykes,
I'm in a similar situation! My calves are also 40 cm-ish. They were always out of proportion with the rest of my body, even when I was severely underweight.
May I ask how old you are? I'm college-age and am hoping to get this procedure done over the summer in the next few years. This summer is definitely out of the question. My parents (who are Korean) are completely against it.

Hi,
for everyone who was asking about compression stockings.. Dr Park will give you one pair for free (you may normally choose the color as well :smile:) If you want second one you will have to buy them. But you also will not be able to put them on already the first days after the surgery due to the swelling. Also, Dr Park advises to start wearing them only if your calves don't need to be aspirated anymore.