BeautyHacker

How can I make my calves smaller?

I definitely agree! I've grown in my confidence, and I'm fine wearing shorts and shorter skirts, but large calves are definitely not what most people desire. I'm also 5'3", which makes their largeness more noticeable.

I'm obsessed with boots, but 90% of them don't fit. I have yet to find a pair [aside from my Uggs] where I can comfortably wear jeans tucked into them. What's worse is that I also have wide, small size 5/6 feet, so that adds to the difficulty of finding a good pair.

If that's not enough for you, I'm not the biggest fan of my knees either. Haha. =/ I find them to be 'crooked' so to speak, they almost look pushed out, which adds to the awkwardness of my calves. So when I put boots on, my knees kind of stick out as well.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Alana Rose,

I tried to message you, but apparently I have to post on here 5 times before I can do that -.-

I'm Korean but currently living in Chicago. I don't think that the North/South situation is anything to worry about in terms of personal safety.

Are you going by yourself, or do you have someone who can take care of you? I may end up going alone if my boyfriend can't get off work. I don't really have anyone who can take care of me in Korea- some elderly aunts and uncles whom I wouldn't want to impose on, and male cousins that wouldn't know what do. But I'm really determined to go and finally get rid of my huge calves! I've e-mailed Dr. Park a few times, and read the Korean comments on his website, too, and I really feel like he is the best doctor for the job... so, I've decided to go this winter.

I'd love to be able to talk to you a little more about this. If we happen to be there at the same time, I can definitely help you out with basic things since I can speak Korean. :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, thanks for this tip! I would love to be able to tuck jeans into my boots but have a hard time finding boots that work. Looks like I'll need to visit the Glass Slipper forum for more brand ideas, as well. :smile:

You can even do a google search on "wide shaft boots women" and it will bring up lots of different companies that sell them.

hey guys!!

I'm in seoul right now and had my surgery with dr. park 24 hours ago. i was able to walk with flats to the toilet just after surgery (but with pain). since i'm doing the stretchings regulary now, my right calf feels really good for the fact i had surgery just a day ago, but the left hurts like crazy!!

i will keep you updated;)

how are you all doing calf-buddies??

Hi there Marshmallow. Good to hear that you have done it now! I'm still waiting for January to come around so I can go too. Are you by yourself? It'll be good to follow your progress. I wish that the other girls would put a little more input into the forum , especially their before and after pics. Take care and hope to hear some more from you soon.

Hey Alana rose
This forum seems kind of death but I might give you and other interested people a short summary of my surgery/healing process/experience. I mean, this forum and the experience of others helped me a lot with my decision.

The surgery went just fine and I was able to walk to the toilet after I woke up from the anesthesia. Walking did hurt though and it felt better when I walked with heels. Time passed really slowly in this little room and I was so happy when I finally could go back to the hotel on the next morning. I could walk by myself without big problems. I could stretch without big problems, I think I had more problems with the side effects of the anesthesia than with my calves. Well, the right calf was always doing really well, the left did hurt more and it was more swollen. Day 3 was even better. I walked around with flats for over an hour outside of the hotel and I walked normal.

On day 4 I had my first check-up with Dr. Park. He was amazed by my fast recovery and when I had to show him the stretching he was like “you’re even more flexible than I am”:P

But then….I noticed already in the evening of day 4 some tightening, but I just pushed myself and stretched like crazy. In the night I had cramps all the time. Well, not really cramps – more like burning worms swimming through your legs. My thighs started to hurt like crazy and my feet got numb. My calves were swollen like crazy; they felt like they will explode every second.
All in all, day 5 and 6 were horrible. I had to force me to every stretch and I limped a bit. On day 7 I still had problems, but at least the “burning worms” were gone.
Today is day 8 and I guess I’m almost back on level of day 4. my right calf does even better. my left is still really swollen, it feels blocked and the incision is really red and burns. I had my check-up with Dr. Park today and he said there could probably be an infection on this incision so I have to come to the clinic every day now to change the plaster etc. I also had my first aspiration today. It didn’t hurt, but I didn’t notice any difference in my calves afterwards?!

It’s really strange but I noticed my calves feel the best when I’m walking or when I’m lying. I get the worst feeling and cramps whenever I elevate my legs (how crazy is that?!) I told this dr. park today and he said I should not elevate my legs then!

I really hope my left leg starts to feel better now, but at the moment it gets worse. I just went out to buy some food and even the ankle area did hurt now and it feels so blocked under the incision.it feels like my left calf is gettin weaker...

By the way, I’m alone here and I don’t know if I like it or not. On one side, being alone means you have to get up for going to the toilet, buying food etc. I could imagine when I had someone with me I would let do the other person everything for me or at least help me. Since I’m alone, I have no choice to do everything on my own. On the other side, I feel pretty alone. At the moment, I have seen most of the area around the hotel, but I just don’t feel strong enough to go on a longer excursion (both mentally and physically). It’s like my legs are too strong for just being passive all day, but to weak for serious sightseeing. Not really into crowded places at the moment. I feel so floppy, I hope this will go away when I can stop the antibiotics, they have the worst influence on your body.

About the before-after pictures... I do understand that the girls probably don’t want to upload personal pictures on a public forum. I took pictures of my calves every day since the surgery and if you like, pm me your e-mail address and I sent you some. I guess it doesn’t really make sense though, they look like before the surgery at the moment – just with some nice bruising/swelling.

Wish you all the best and will keep you all updated…

Thanks for getting in touch marshmallow. How are you feeling now? If everyone else's experience is anything to go by, you should be over the worst of it now hopefully. I'm just really interested in knowing wether the virtual photographs that Dr Park does, actually resembles the end results, no one seems to say. Anyway i've gave you my e-mail on pm so I look forward to SEEING you progress. Thanks.

Hi can you tell me where your friend got her botox? Is it possible to give me the website?
Also, how many sessions have she had now? And is it effective?

Thank-you

I'm thinking of getting this surgery done...however, did Dr. Park give you any other alternatives? rather than going under the knife?

Hey all!!
Since I’m leaving soon, I thought I would update you on my healing process.
The last time I wrote on this forum I was on my 8 day post-op and at this time, the worst part was over. On day 10 – day 15 I always had consultation with dr. park in the morning and then I went sightseeing and shopping the rest of the day. I had no problems with walking at all (I was on my legs for 4-6 hours every day at this time), my legs didn’t feel weak and they didn’t get more tired than before the surgery. The only problem I had was the incision on my left leg. I already said before, that this incision would be infected. It started to hurt around this area and the stretching got painful so on day 14 dr. park told me he would “do surgery once more”. I would have won a price for the best facial expression in this moment and got really frightened when the nurse prepared the instruments and syringes. It was less painful than I had anticipated though. I got local anesthesia, Dr. Park opened the wound again, cutting away the scar tissue and then stitches. He already took them out again yesterday. He also gave me antibiotics for 5 days again, but just for prevention. Later this day I went sightseeing and shopping but as soon as my leg waked up, it did hurt around the wound and I had to limp a bit but nothing I couldn’t handle.

At the moment, I’m still wearing the bandages and Dr. Park said I will have to do this for 2 or 3 weeks more before I can change to the stockings. He also gave me two syringes to do the aspiration at home. I think he aspirated me almost daily on my right leg, but never on my left leg. The reason is, my right leg has fluid build up while my left leg hasn’t. I remember when I had to aspirate by myself in front of dr. park, it was ok on my right leg because a lot of fluid was coming out but as soon as I started with the left leg, I almost passed out, I had to lay down on the surgery table, everything went black because I pulled on the syringe so hard but almost nothing came out and it felt like I’m pulling out my bones and muscles…I thought I’m going to vomit.

My right and my left leg are completely different when it comes to healing. My right leg had no problems with the surgery, felt already normal after a few days while my left leg was more swollen (and still is, I measured my legs this morning and there were over 1cm difference) and did hurt a bit more. I can’t say if the problem here was really the removed muscle or if it “just” was the infected wound which was painful.
This fact makes me worried though. I mean, my left leg is bigger but when you aspirate it, nothing comes out while my right leg is already smaller and you can easily do the aspiration with fluid coming out. I really hope my left leg is just “behind the right leg” in the healing process and will improve over time.

All in all I can say I had a really fast recovery. Dr. park told me a few days ago that normally taller people would have a faster recovery than shorter. (I’m close to 170cm by the way)
I have to say, I did sports for several years almost daily so maybe this had an influence on the flexibility of my muscles as well and last but not least I would describe myself as having a big tolerance when it comes to pain.

I found the YD-Hotel really good as well and their shuttle service to the clinic was always on time. The clinic itself is really small but clean and the staff is great!
I ask myself why I waited so long with this surgery and why I worried so much leading up to the procedure. I can only say, GO FOR IT GIRLS!!
Don’t skip on the time here because the city is beautiful and there’s a lot to discover out there!! Ohhhh and bring an empty suitcase with you, I still have to figure out how I can put all my new clothes and souvenirs in my suitcase.:P

I would stay away from botox in the calves. It is a temporary solution and you have to get large amount of it to be effective in your calves.