BeautyHacker

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey MKRYU, how long did ur chin heal. Was the area of your chin swollen?

I am not Asian (as the title of this thread reads) but I had surgery with Dr. Toriumi on June 25th. It has completely changed my life. I had terrible problems (more than I can even get into) and I never dreamed ANYONE would ever be able to help me. Not only did he completely rebuild my nose out of rib cartilage, he completely got rid of all the garbage (an infected implant, dispaced ear cartilage grafts, silicon, etc) that was in my nose from 4 previous reconstructive surgeries, that caused my nose to collapse on each side rendering it virtually useless in terms of function.
For the first time in 7+ years, I can breathe, smell, taste food, ENJOY MY LIFE AGAIN! I never dreamed the outcome would be this good.
It does cost a fortune, and I joke that my existing 6 yr old SUV better hold up because my new nose is my "new car" and I will be paying it off for at least the next 10 years!!! LOL!
Seriously, Dr. Toriumi is a surgical genius for those who have major problems. I am not sure it is necessary to go to him for a primary rhinoplasty, but for someone with serious internal problems or who has had multiple revisions, he is the best.

I went to Toriumi 3 years ago and was quoted 18k for the nose plus hospital bills (about 6k I think). I'm not sure if I want to pay that much, but maybe it might be worth it?
So far I've met with Dr. Edmund Kwan (Got a chin implant from him, and i'm satisfied with it), Dr. Edward Kwak (He does rib grafting as well here in NYC but I didn't see enough samples to be sure to go with him but his staff was very nice, he might be the next Toriumi some day? Who knows, still early to tell. I was quoted at 11k), and i'm meeting with Dr. Eric Choe this Wednesday.

Even though I saved 30k, I was thinking the chances of a infection is 1-3% if I went with gortex or silicon over the rib grafting by Toriumi but i'm still concerned about the long run. I'm still doing some more research.

Oh yeah, I speak some basic Korean. Anyone in NYC? Email me if you want to chat.

The most serious part of my problem was an infected artifical implant. The problem was very serious! It is not as low risk as you think. I wish I was more educated before I did it. Toriumi removed the implant, all the scar tissue and displaced old cartilage, and started from scratch. IMO, if you have consulted with him in the past, there is no harm in a re-consult just to keep your options open.
Good luck!

I think it took about 6-7 weeks for mobility to return 100% in my lower jaw. I can still feel a very slight tightness/soreness in the area. The chin didn't look noticeably swollen but I remember it took at least a week for me to be able to shut my mouth completely. I wasn't able to show my lower teeth for about 5 weeks.

Are you guys talking about a chin implant? I was swollen for a week, but presentable after 7 days. When I woke from the surgery, I was shocked to see how puffy my lower face was but after most of the swelling went away I was satisfied. He implanted silicon through the inside of my mouth.

I think most surgeons do it inside the mouth so that no one can see the scarring. I had to eat liquid food in the beginning but I don't think that's a big deal. Just a inconvenience for a short period of time. There also wasn't much pain afterwards, but maybe some soreness the first day but there's medicine for that.

Thanks hammerofdawn, that was very helpful.. im guessing it lengthened your face therefore slimmer? Yeah when i consulted dr toriumi via email..well his PA answered on his behalf.. he also uses silicon for the chin.. i thought that was quite funny seeing he's so against it for the nose but doesn't mind for the chin haha!

So my turn to share my experience. I had surgery last friday! So today has been 3 days post op... I must say I am unrecognizable! I look like a big swollen balloon! heh. I had my double-eyelid, nose, and chin. I just wanted to do the nose and chin, but the doctor told me that I would have a better result and would benefit me. So you can imagine how swollen I must be having 3 surgeries! The worst swelling is coming from the chin, my whole mouth area is swollen, also my cheeks (from the nose) and eyes. The worst pain for me was the chin, maybe just mostly due to discomfort and something "new" inside my chin, a different feeling. I did not brusie much, or from what you can see on the outside, but like I said swelling is a different story. I know its all part of the process.

When I asked for my nose I did not want anything poity, I specifucally told him that. Basically, he used Goretex to raise my bridge and cartilage from my ear to place on the tip of my nose. The reason why I didnt want much tip work is because raising the bridge woudl already slightly alter the tip plus the cartiage. I wanted it to look like my old nose (slightly more definition on the tip) with a higher bride.

My eyelids are swollen, but thats expected, the swelling is similar to what Dr. merink had on his website. Looking at nose right now, with the splint, it looks like my old nose, but I can tell that it is more even and sysmetrical. I will have the cast removed in Wednesday. As for this chin, it seems to have given me a better profile, especially from certain angles. I was thinking of removing the chin, just because of the significant amount of swelling I have. Its look a little bit better everyday, but I know this is a process, no pain no gain right! I am depressed just because I cant really go outside and its a long prcoess.

I will most likely post pictures 2 weeks from now, I just don't its beneficial to post pic so early on. So I will most likely post some pictures after majority of the swelling has subsided.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. My doctor was Charles Lee, he is a very nice guy. His staff is amazing. I had one of the nurses call me personally during the weekend to ask me if I was ok and if I felt any pain. Overall, the staff is very welcoming and they made me feel comfortable.

Glad your doing well despite all the swelling lol
I do have a question, since i've been asking about dr lee alot and I am thinking about having my nose done by him.
How much was the nose alone for you with dr. charles lee? And he used gortex, I thought he mostly used silicone? What he tell you abour gortex? and did he mention anything i shape and l shape implants?

Sounds exactly like my experience! Except, I didn't get my eyes done. I was so swollen and my chin hurt the most. The following day, Dr Lee used a needle to extract trapped blood from my chin. Afterwards, my chin felt alot better. My mouth looked funny for a while, I guess because the chin implant was stretching my face. I couldn't close my mouth completely for a week and when I could, I looked like a grandpa because it created marionette lines .

Did you specifically ask for the Gore-tex implant or did Dr. Lee recommend that?

Don't worry, you will start to look like yourself again in about 7-10 more days. I accidentally ran into one of my friends on the street 10 days post-op. I felt that I looked weird from all the swelling but he thought I just looked different but couldn't figure out what it was. Most people will not know you had any work done in about 4-6 weeks. Only you will notice. People will notice something different about you but they usually think you had a new haircut or something. I get alot of compliments on my looks now but I don't think they realize I had work done. Most people tell me "you look great!" My face looks slimmer and more angular from the chin implant + botox to the jaw and my nose looks more refined. You're also going to look great in several weeks.