BeautyHacker

simply.jake -- thank you for all the useful information! I am trying to look at the before and after pics on the grand site but I need a username and password? Do you have anything that we could use to see the pictures?

Is there an email so I can email for a consult?

Thanks!

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey wannabepretty18,

Not in Korea, I had it done within the country, so no language barrier encountered:smile: The surgery went well, took about 1 hour, then as for the post op, my healing was quite fast, I think it also has something to do with the medicine that I took, they were quite expensive so it was a good thing they really worked.

By the way, if you're going to bring your laptop to Korea, maybe you can just save the pictures in your computer that way you don't have to produce prints outs:smile:

Hey simply jake,

Thanks alot for sharing your info its much appreciated. I also wanted to ask how much did they charge you for the Rhino and is the grand surgery clinic in gangnam gu? Also would you please be able to send me a pic of your after :biggrin: thats if you want to, [email protected] thats my email and it would be really nice if you could share a pic =] One last question is did u use implant if so silicone?
Thankyou so much for your info XDDDD

Asin, i think Toriumi's work look very natural. I think i'm considering mine done with him as well. Were the negative reviews particulary from asian patients?

Needles just pinch a little. I wouldn't worry too much about it. They gave me a pill first for sedation, then they put an IV in my arm for General. Just felt a pinch. My doctor didn't require a blood test. Extracting blood is more difficult to bear if you hate needles because the needle stays in your arm until they extract enough blood in the vile, about a minute or so.
I think the pain from the soreness of the rhino hurts more but they give you pain pills for that. I have a pretty low threshold for pain but I managed so you will be fine.

Hey simplyjake,

thanks a lot for your input! wow, they sound so professional, they actually have translators within the building? that definitely puts my mind at ease, thank you! i'll be sure to check them out. right now i've narrowed down my choices to dream, cinderella and grand. did you consult with the other 2 clinics? just wanted to know what you thought when you were going around doing your consults. :smile:

okay, so some of the better clinics have wait lists - how did you score your consult? did you have to wait in the lobby or did you call in before hand? i definitely want to get everything done within the first few days i arrive so i can focus on healing for the rest of the trip, so should i make some calls to book appointments before i arrive? well, i'm glad there's a waiting list - shows how trusted the clinic is. :smile:

thanks! right now i'm starting to get down to the nitty gritties of the planning and i'm so excited, it sounds like it'll be an experience. sorry, i'm not sure if you posted this already but how much was your surgery? did they charge you in won or usd? i heard some clinics charge in usd.

and how long did you spend in seoul? did you manage to get around and experience the city after your surgery? :smile: when did you feel well enough to do so?

sorry for the questions, i just am so excited about hearing from someone who's done it first hand!

hi just_a_thought

lol. okay that's cool. :smile: hopefully i'll encounter some nice translators in korea or something. heh.

i heard we should take some health supplements while we're healing to speed up the process. was your medicine prescribed or were they recommended to you by previous ps patients...?

yes! i'll do that. i think the pics show up clearer on a laptop than they do print outs. :smile:

if you google his name there are tons of negative reviews about him. i don't know how many of them are from asian patients. but generally the reviews say that he:

-experiments on patients without their consent
-builds huge, wide, "caveman like" noses with grafts
-the noses all slant to one side
-results look nothing like computer imaging
-uses grafts for a primary rhino (not augmentation)... takes apart natural structure and adds unnecessary grafts

it's pretty scary.

LOL at the Ai-ai lookalike at the main page of grandsurgery.com
grandsurgery.com/main/images/img_after_movie1.jpg

BTW just wanna tell everyone first time kong maglog-in dito after my sis' successful rhinoplasty (augmentation). L-shape ang sinabi ng doctor niyang si Dr. Danny David, cosmetic surgeons ng mga beauty queens (Bb. Pilipinas, Mutyas etc). Dr. David has been carving L-shape silicones with no problems arising whatshoever in his almost 30 years of practice. He did all the work of past beauty queens including Pitoy Moreno (a friend of mine told me so coz ayaw aminin ni Doc due to ethics), the mentor for Bb. Pilipinas. Gusto sana ng sister ko ng gortex pero Doc Danny said na iba pa rin daw L-shape silicon. The secret to lasting and successful silicone implant is not the material used but the competence and experience ng cosmetic surgeon.

Look at this site:
http://www.asiantropics.com.ph/gallery.html

Sabi dito silicone remains to be the gold standard in nose augmentation kasi raw goretex is fairly new at baka raw mga 10 years pa raw malalaman ang efficiency ng goretex.

After looking at my sis' results, grabe gumanda siya at more importantly hindi halatang ginawa! Nasa galing talaga ng carving ng doctor ng silicone material. May isa nga doon (sinamahan ko sis ko sa clinic) magpapafacelift and she had silicone sa nose niya 20 years na pero in-place pa rin at hindi gumagalaw. That's why when I read all the stories here nagtaka ako bakit hindi pinaguusapan si Dr. Danny David pero siya ang gumagawa sa mga beauty queens. Mayroon ba ritong nakakakilala sa kanya.

I'm looking to get a revision some time at the end of the year or in January. I want to use rib cartilage to subtly augment the bridge and give it more definition. At the moment I am considering Toriumi, Nassif, overseas, or anyone else I come across who is skilled with Asian nasal augmentation with rib grafting. If I go overseas, I would like a travel buddy, so if you're interested let me know.

A little history/update: I got rhinoplasty with silicone implant and ear cartilage graft back in October 2008. I hated the results... I thought my bridge looked too high and unnatural. Also, the implant was crooked. In November, I had the implant replaced with one that is supposedly smaller, but thicker on the top. I didn't like the way it looked either for whatever reason. I thought it made my nose look huge, and I didn't look Asian anymore. So in January, I took the implant out, and left the ear cartilage in.

It's been 4 months since I took the implant out and I'm not very happy about my nose. It usually looks okay to me in the mirror, unless I view it from different angles. In pictures, it looks really bad. My bridge is now wide and blobby looking from the scar tissue. The ear cartilage left to my tip makes my nose looks overprojected.

I've been looking at old pictures and realized that I didn't look that bad when I had the implant in. However, I think I looked the best pre-op. I didn't need a nasal implant. But now that my nose is tweaked with scar tissue and ear cartilage graft, I think I will need to "reconstruct" it somewhat. I am looking into getting a revision at the end of the year/early next year, to wait a year, as advised. I think the best thing for me to do now is to augment the bridge slightly (not too much, because I recall hating the way I looked with a high bridge) probably with rib cartilage. I might consider gortex... but silicone seems to be out of the question since I've had two unsatisfied trials with silicone already. I really want this to be my last rhinoplasty, and rib seems ideal.

So I suppose for the rest of the year I will work hard to save up money. This revision will likely cost me about 20k if I do it in the U.S. and maybe $15k overseas. I've already spent 9k on rhinoplasty... Like I said, I really want this to be the last one, so I will consult at a few places, look at many before and after pictures from each doctor, and make my decision carefully. If you have any recommendations for doctors overseas who are skilled at rib grafting, please let me know. I'd prefer one who speaks Cantonese or English though, so I can effectively communicate with him.

Thanks for reading.

Hi Asin

I also had a similar experience as you. I had a silicon implant put in years ago to augment my nose but had it removed at two weeks out. For one, it made me look like a different person from the front and I liked the way i looked better without it, perhaps because it was a little too high for my face. The other reason was that it just made my nose look bigger.... I have a pretty wide alar base, and having the implant seemed to emphasize this flaw.

I've learned that in my case augmenting my bridge wasn't enough since i have a flat nose. There's other things that I should've had done with it to make the result a good one. These things include tip projection, derotation and alar reduction. I've also learned that in terms of bridge augmentation, only a very slight raise would work good in my case, since I still want to look like the same person.

I've narrowed my search so far to dr. nassif, toriumi and anil shah. Dr Shah was mentored by Toriumi and is one of the few dr's here in the states using coastal cartilage. I'm trying to avoid artificial implants and am looking to build my nose with rib and/or ear cartilage. He has an article about asian rhino here....

http://www.shahfacialplastics.com/asian%20rhinoplasty.html

I'm planning on consulting with him soon to see some asian rhinoplasty pictures.

Please keep us posted on your search.