BeautyHacker

Oh Aussie_nose,

What ever you do, don't bring fresh fruits like me. I did try to bring oranges and persimmons in the bigger luggage and they cracked open the suitcase and removed that bag of food. Taiwan is very strict on that. I saw signs in the airport that they have sniff dog and use X-ray scanner to wean things like fresh fruit/meat, soil, live plant and illegal drug. I brought a lot drugs like Tyleno and Tyleno 3, Advil, Gravel, Duculax (its a laxative 'cause I know I always get problems when I travel for some reason but I don't use this drug that often since it not good for you), and Vicks vapour and they were fine. I did brought a 1 liter prewrap (never open) Oloe Vera Chinese drink and that was not taken away either so I think any food that is prewrap from the market (can food or instant noodles), it is probably fine. I don't know if its wise to bring food that's not prewrap from the market. I think you run into a risk of getting them confiscate. I really can't speak valium drug either, so I am sorry. Maybe you can explain to them about the purpose of valium drug if they do find it. Don't worry I don't think they will put you behind bars but probably might get taken away from you if they find something that is against their restrictions.

There are food stand/fast food restaurant everywhere around Deja Vu hotel, you won't be stranded. In fact right next to the hotel, there is a Japanese-like restaurant which you can do take out from. The price is like $3-5 USD / meal. You can also call to order food from the hotel and a whole meal is $150 TWD. But ah hem, I did not like it much J. The meal was really home style however it kept me alive.

Don't be so worry about the nose surgery :smile: It is really a breeze.

It’s my pleasure to help out here since I got so much from this forum.

Oh if you have a laptop, take it with you since Deja Vu have free internet access in every room. Even if you decide to go with different hotel, I am pretty sure they will have such service as well.

All the wish with our journey.

Want2change

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Maskd,

As someone who is quite scared of needles (ie. i usually faint after every one) and even more scared of blood and blood tests (ie. i definetly faint before i even have the blood taken out!!) is there anything that Dr. Jong will give us to calm us down before the eyelash implant surgery?? (I'm thinking along the lines of valium or some other muscle relaxant). I really would not like to freak out as soon as i see that big needle thing coming towards my eyeball!!

I understand the concept of no pain, no gain and i'm sure this will definetly be worth it (!!) however needles are just not my thing (you might say!!) ... Did you ask Dr. Jong for any kind of 'medicinal help' in this respect?!! :lol:

Thanksss

for prescription drugs, i think if you bring your prescription you should be fine and can prove that it is only for personal use.

over the counter, i think they should be fine.

of course every country differs :smile: i am not actually very sure about their laws, but just in case, it would be good to have your prescription.

Hey NicoleGrey

I'm not sure how long it takes for the lids to de-swell for after eyelash implants because remember, I had double eyelid/upper bleph and medial epi procedures as well. I think the de-swelling rate depends on the individual & how religiously you used the cold and hot compress. The lids could very well look more or less normal (if you are not doing other eye procedures) by Day 7.

My eyes were looking considerably less swollen at less than 14 days and I was going out with friends in Singapore on Day 10.

I was a bit lazy and naughty with using the hot compress -- I didn't use it that much at all. At 21 days post surgery, my eyes are looking pretty normal now, though the lids just above my lash line are still a tad swollen. Just a little. Let's put it this way -- unless I close my eyes, people can't tell I have had anything done to them.

I'm not stressing about how long it takes to deswell nor for the double eyelid and epi cut lines to fade. They'll both take time. I have heard pure Vitamin E oil/cream might help in fading scars.:smile: I might use it 2 weeks from now. I'm giving a little more time for my eyes to heal naturally.

I can't remember the red dots on my eyelids -- perhaps on the first few days? I have stared hard at the mirror, just -- I certainly don't see any red dots at all.

Did you get your double eyelids and epi done in Singapore by any chance? I remember from a previous post this is where you're from? I used to live here, well, I grew up in SG :smile: It wasn't Dr Wong was it, by any chance?

Best of luck for your sugeries with Dr Chuang! When will you be going to him?

AbFabCat

Hi Kimosa

Yes. Taipei has a subway/train system. Not sure about other Taiwan cities. The bad news is -- the signs are in Chinese. I can't recall if there was much English at all because I read the Chinese signs. Having said that, I do vaguely remember some English signs at selected spots.

The names of the stations in Taipei are printed in Guoyu Pinyin (English spelling) as well as Chinese characters. They also have electronic dashboards in the train that prints the name of the next station in English -- it is also announced on over the speakers in English as well. The typically announce it in Mandarin first, followed by 2 other Taiwanese dialects and English the last.

Hope this answers your question.:smile:

AbFabCat

maskd

lol my fault for askibg so much but its not easy going thru 238 pages to look for something specific and mind u i've already read all the posts.. anyway thanks for ur help! its always appreciated ;=)

Jong just emailed me back and i saw some pics of his procedures.. I'm def doin my eyes (upper/lower and epi) and getting s ome tip work done...

Again i may have asked this before but for the experienced ones that have heard about or had first hand experience, i'd like to know which doctor is better with what so I can start making decisions because i dont have a lot of time..

SO far theres: Dr Jung/Jong, Chuang, Chang

Which one of these dr's have great reputation in performing eye/nosetip surgeries? Mind u i dont want conservative changes so there has to be some nice changes that fit my face at the same time

I read somewhere in this thread that u should go with someone that knows mandarine.. this pretty much means that u'll be screwed if udon't know mandarine and u'll be going by urself correct?

Hi AbFabCat,

Yep, bingo! You are so right! I am a Singaporean and went to Dr. Wong at Gleneagles!! Right now, I am not staying in Singapore as I got posted off base for work purposes. I'm thinking of mid March as my leave have been confirmed, the earlier 26 Feb that I was talking about was the dates that I wanted to change but the leave department haven't quite substantiate the changes (though it's already reflected in the company's system)

So, to make things a tad easier, I shall settle on my original leave allocation.

Great news that you're recovering so well and with the blink-blink* as your bling-bling*! haha!:smile:

When I had the steriod injection for my epi scar, I screamed too!! I was so painful as it's so close to the eyeball. I really would like to think that have raisen my threshold a tad higher to cushion the eyelash implants pain.

Do you think it is possible to ask for so much anaesthesia that I would feel at least 90% numb during the operation. I would really like to deal with the pain part post-op, at least it gives me the comfort of time and space.

AbFabCat, so does your friends notice the differences in your pretty eyes now that its into the 4th week post-op? :smile:

Hi Ataraxy,

I'll be going in mid March as that was my original leave allocation, 26 Feb was the date that I was hoping to change onto but somehow the leave department haven't confirm it yet and I have no intention to bug them, when I'm already so pre-occupied now (making arrangements, research, booking).

By the way, which hotel are you planning to stay? I think I'll stay in Deja Vu (but insist on a non-smoking room facing the main road) due to its proximity to both clinics.

What are you planning to do at Dr. Chuang's?:smile:

Hi Beauty07

It should not be a problem getting around if you speak only English but if you want precise communication, that might be tough. This is especially the case for lower-end/cheaper shops and eateries which are staffed by non-English speakers.

You will find that some people are mutter a few words of English here and there, enough you to more or less get/purchase what you want.

However, what is most important is your communication with the surgeon of your choice. This is where both of you have to understand each other clearly and perfectly.

Dr Jong writes fluent English. I have written him many emails before deciding to go to him, so I know. In terms of spoken English, he is not as good, but still comprehensible. He spoke to my partner in English and he understood Dr Jong perfectly. I communicated with Dr Jong in person in Mandarin.

Dr Chuang speaks and writes okay English as well. This I know from my email exchanges with him too.

As for Dr James Chang, I am not sure because I only found out about him in Taipei.

AbFabCat

Hi Beauty07

Mmm...I don't know about great work. But Dr James Chang might just be the most famous, just because he has operated on a number of Taiwanese celebrities.

From what I read on Dr Chang's website, quite a number of Taiwanese celebrities have gone to him. However, this does not necessarily mean that he is the best, as there is a certain "celebrity surgeon" in Singapore whom I have read about on other forums with less than desirable feedback.

The link I sent you of Dr Chang's website has the name of his clinic on it.

I would be careful to conclude that Dr Chang is the best of the three I mentioned, just because he is more well-known. His popularity could well be due to the fact that famous people have gone to him for procedures. That does not necessarily mean it is good. It is just great advertising that helps his name circulate.

Yes, Dr Chuang, Dr Jong and Dr James Chang are all surgeons in Taiwan, Taipei to be specific.

I know it is really a difficult decision. That is why it is important to email the surgeons to ask lots of pertinent question. This will help give you a feel of whether they are able to help you achieve your goals (as long as they are not too far out).

I have to say that my gut feel of Dr Jong is that he is more conservative than Dr Chuang. That is not to say he may not agree to creating a certain look for you, unless he thinks your exising facial structures are more suitable.

For instance, in my case, I like a thick double eyelid fold -- this is something I discussed with him at length. After examining my facial and eyebrow bone structure, we came to an agreement. I had a 11mm incision, while most Taiwanese/East Asians go for a 6-8mm fold (which is the current trend). The interesting thing is that even with such a thick incision, my eyelids don't look un-natural. So I give credit to Dr Jong and his skills for achieving natural, yet thick eyelid folds for me.

The important thing I would like to stress is, go with the surgeon who is not only reputable but with whom you have a clear understanding and communication AND whom you think is able to achieve what you want.

As you might have read before, even the top surgeons don't always produce good or excellent results. There is, unfortunately, always an element of luck. But what you can do to minimise unhappy outcomes is CLEAR COMMUNICATION from the initial enquiry to when you are still awake under local anaesthesia during the operation.

What I like about Dr Jong too is that he isn't at all pushy. I have heard of other surgeons who like to sell you a whole lot of other procedures that you do not need.

And, finally, if you are paranoid, it is always better to schedule a surgery for earlier in the day, rather than later, when the surgeon is presumably, at his freshest, unless he had a bad night or insomnia.

AbFabCat

Maskd!

Great to hear from you! :smile: Thanks for sharing your experience!

Yes, I have to say once again -- that the eyelash implant procedure IS the scariest. For those not in the know, my surgeon used an eye shield for each eye to protect it during the implant surgery -- this is akin to a contact lens, but bigger and thicker I think. I was quite uncomfortable. I have never worn contact lenses so I guess I'm not used to it. What was scary was that it was tricky removing the one from my left eye post-surgery! :wtf: But all was fine in the end. phew! And yes, you can feel the tugging at the end of each strand to secure it and even when it didn't hurt, it felt FREAKY!!!

Good to hear your lashes are doing great Maskd! :yes: I know it is normal for implanted and natural lashes to shed post surgery (just imagine the trauma you've put the lash follicles through!) But the thought of some of them (the implanted ones) not growing back is just a little sad. :sad: I guess, one can't be too greedy! I was stressed when I saw a couple of them fall out from my right eye when I was washing my face 2 days ago. *Sob-sob*

I will be patient to see what happens in half a year's time, when the lashes would have re-grown and stabilised. If it is not as full as I'd like them to be, seriously, I'm almost half tempted to go for a 2nd round of lash implants! (except, I probably wouldn't get past my partner as he was already so horrified that I wanted to do all 3 procedures at once recently!)

Maskd and anyone else,

Do you know of any websites where we can view pictures of good lateral epicanthoplasty (kai yai wei) outcomes? I have read before that it does not produce a visible difference. How true is that, do you know? How many mm can it widen and lengthen each eye?

AbFabCat

Hi there again :smile:

I actually flew from Singapore to Taipei, as I was visiting family. I flew Jetstar! Very basic, as I'm sure you know about. I wouldn't recommend itfor flights more than 3 hours.

Thai Airways is generally okay. I have flown with them before. Is there a direct flight to Taipei from Sydney? If not, it could be due to the distance. Transiting at either Bangkok or Singapore is fine.

My luggage restrictions was 20kg. This is the case for most airlines these days. I'm surprised you got away with 32kg to Europe! You smart-lass!:lol: How did you do it?!?! I know for North America, you are allowed 2 baggages which is like, so unfair to the rest of the world?!!

My suspicion is that luggage limit for air travel within Asia might be a bit stricter hun.

My boy got slightly different treatment in Taipei alright! Not better, just --- different (which is strange, cuz in most other Asian cities, they really treat white tourists better somehow). And yes, he did stick out for there weren't that many Caucasians around the city. Not when we were there at least.

Yes -- you have to pay for the communal dryer and washer at Deja Vu -- with coins. They seem to have washing powder but we found it a little dodgy so we bought our own. You might want to buy a few small satchels from Woolies or Coles and bring them with. That would be handy. :yes:

AbFabCat

Hi again Aussie Nose

Dr Jong is a minimalist in that he does not believe in using sedatives/GA and other pain-numbing aids during surgery, other than the required local anaesthetic. You can't really see the needle thing coming towards your eyes. Just around your lids.

I was a little chicken and asked if I could have sleeping pills for the eyelash implant procedure and he said, well, it wouldn't help that much and you will be fine. (Mind you I asked when I was already on the operating table and he did say it would be too late for the drug to take effect -- and then when it did, the operation would be over!!)

Please Aussie Nose, whatever you do, DON'T go ahead and swallow a sleeping pill without him knowing. Just go with the flow -- ask for more anaesthetic (local) when required. Tell Dr Jong and nurses when you feel pain and if it is a long time between the LA, they will inject more.

Also, PLEASE don't ever move or even flinch (As far as you can manage) during the surgery. Try to keep still. I am not sure if it is the fault of the surgeon or my moving that caused my 1st double eyelid/upper bleph surgery in Singapore to be unsatisfactory -- it gave assymetrical eyelids! I remember flinching a little when the surgeon was working on my right eye. So, PLEASE do yourself the favour -- if you have made up your mind to go ahead with surgical procedures, just bear with the pain a little -- and don't move during surgery!

Finally, how many procedures are you considering doing in June/July? Remember Maskd and my advice -- the more you undergo, the riskier. And may I add, the more swollen the parts of your face, the longer the recovery...etc. Okay, I'll stop nagging. But please do take this into consideration before undertaking multiple procedures all at once!

xxAbFabCat

Hi fellow Singaporean :smile:
(I'm Singaporean but now half-Aussie since I've been living in Oz for awhile :P)

I know about Dr Wong cuz I did think about going to him too.:smile: I also know people who have gone to him before. Do you mind me asking if you are happy with what he did for you?

You should feel 100% numb during the operation (i'm assuming you are asking about lash implants). However, as it is a relatively long procedure compared to double eyelids, the anaesthesia might wear off during the process. When it does happen, tell Dr Jong immediately it hurts and ask for more LA.

As for my post-op pain, it really only hurt for the 1st day after surgery. I only took Dr Jong's painkillers ONCE. That's it. No panadol, no nothing.:smile: Although my eyes were swollen as, I certainly wasn't in pain from the 2nd day on, which was surprising.

My close friends can tell the difference for sure. It is a noticeable change yet natural. They certainly notice my long camel lashes! *blink-blink*

AbFabCat

Hi AbFabCat,

To be truthfully honest, I'm really not that satisfied..:sad: due to the epi scars that I mentioned previously but I try to see things rather more positively and realistically speaking, its only 7 months post sugery so I'm hoping the scars will fade in time to come.

The lids were nicely done, however! They are symmetrical and of a nice right height for my eyes. It's just the epi fold that I'm concerned about.

So, my 2 cents worth of advice to anyone who are considering doing dbl eyelid and epi is: choose a surgeon who is apt with the magic epi technique as the likelihood of scaring will be dramatically minimised.

May I know which doctor did you go for in the end? And if your friends who went to Dr. Wong were satisfied with his work?

How long was it between your first and second eyelid revision? You mentioned you need all 3 procedures at Dr. Jung's, could I conveniently assume that you didn't have your epi done in Singapore, together with your first dbl eyelid surgery?

I just emailed Dr. Jung with regards to the eyelash implants!!:smile: I am anxiously awaiting for his reply now! hehee!:smile::smile: