BeautyHacker

To do or not to do eyelid surgery...

I am Asian and I lack a double eyelid. When I was in high school, I woke up one day with a very very painful stinging sensation in one of my eyes. It got so bad that it would hurt if I would put eye drops in it. I immediately went to the eye doctor and it turned out my eyelashes had scratched the surface of my eye. The doctor said she could see the 3 gashes in the microscope.

Due to my lack of a double eyelid, my eyelashes actually grow towards my eyes. I've had to pluck my eyelashes since I was in middle school, but sometimes they get too long and will actually scratch my eye. I haven't had a repeat of what happened in high school, but sometimes my eyelashes do bother me and I have to go to the bathroom and pluck them. I constantly wear sunglasses when I go out to protect my eyes from debris. Another disadvantage is that my eyelid doesn't fully close when I close my eyes. There is a small gap between the lower lid and the eyelid where air seeps in and so I frequently get dry eyes after waking up.

I'm scared of getting surgery, the eyes are such a defining factor of your face...and what if I don't recognize who I am anymore in the mirror? Most of my other Asian friends got surgery for cosmetic reasons, but mine is clearly medical. I'm 22 now, and it's been about 5 years since the doctor recommended surgery for me. If I'm going to get surgery, it has to be within the year because I will be going off to Law School soon and thus I cannot afford to take time off to recuperate.

Does anybody here have the same experiences? If so, what did you decide?

I have several friends who have had the surgery, and to me, they don't look significantly different after the surgery (I'm sure they would like to think that it opens their eyes up, but it doesn't really. at least IMO). Maybe you can find a surgeon who will make a very subtle change for you.

Yeah that's another reason why I'm so reluctant to get the surgery, I don't know any good surgeons!

Did your friends get a double eyelid? What exactly did they do? Sometimes when I'm tired or wake up I get a double eyelid from the wrinkles and I look really different! LOL! I do just want a subtle change.

They ended up with a natural-looking double eyelid, but their eyes didn't look any bigger than before (I believe that's the main purpose of it, no? I don't know). As far as the procedure, I have no clue.. maybe you can find it on Google :smile:

I know that some Korean stores sell eyelid tape, maybe you can try that to see what it would look like as a temporary thing.

i never knew that hair would be strong enough to scratch the eye. im sorry to hear that you have this problem. Since it is for a medical reason, i think you should get the surgery

I don't have double eyelids either, more like 1.5... haha, but seriously, it's like a crease. The crease doesn't go across my entire eyelid, so the part where it doesn't, the eyelashes grow in towards the eyeball... so on occasion my eyelashes poke my eyeball (it's only one eye that has these 'half folds'). It hurt SO bad when they poke. I also went to the eye doctor and he noticed scratches/tears... I would get the surgery. It must be a pain to always be plucking your eyelashes! With me, after a while of rubbing it falls out.

I know a few people who got the double eyelid surgery but they did it for cosmetic reasons and they don't like talking about it at all. I used to have single eyelids when I was a child and I never had a problem with eyelashes scratching my eyeballs. Maybe it's because my lashes are sooo darn short! Anyways it was strange but I woke up one morning when I was around 24 years old and I ended up with double eyelids naturally without surgery! I don't really notice any difference because I never cared about it to begin with. My mom has double eyelids and her lashes are scratching her eyeballs because they're growing in instead of out. Maybe it has more to do with that than actually having single lids? She uses eyedrops a lot but the eye doctor told her the only way is to correct it with surgery but she's too afraid to have her eyes go under the knife.

Yeah....I mean I know the right thing is to get the surgery. I'm a paranoid that my vision will worsen if I don't, and I have really good vision which I want to preserve.

The doctor did say something about how they won't necessarily give me double eyelids, but flip my eyelid "out". Er..not sure what that means!! LOL! I'm assuming they're going to flip the lash line out instead of in, but I really can't imagine that in my head haha.

• 1 year later...
Did you get the surgery? At my last eye exam, my doctor told me that it was GOOD that I wore contacts because my eyelashes were going inwards and poking/scratching the lenses instead of my eyes. My eyes are pretty big (by Korean standards lol) so I don't think that's it...it is a pain though. I always curl my lashes when I want to wear my glasses.

• 1 month later...
I think you should get the double eyelids surgery since it's a medical problem. Since your eyes are already big, it will look really pretty after the surgery. Yes it will make u look different. Try to tell the doctor that you want just a small fold so you won't look that different. I do believed you will have good result since your eyes are already big. Good luck.