BeautyHacker

Avoid Cartilage for your rhinoplasty!

This is not very true what you have just said , do you live in europe?

let me correct it:

Asian patients undergo augmentation rhinoplasty in order to get a narrower, more defined, and higher nose, their nose will not get "bigger" , who wants a bigger nose? They naturally have a wide nose and with the help of a silicone implant on the nasal bridge their nose will appear narrower/smaller

We in Europe also want a smaller nose just as asians- and I would say the whole world? - do. Surgeons in Europe put cartilage grafts - either ear or rib - onto the nasal dorsum in order to make it look more defined and narrow. The consequence of this is that unfortunately many will have to do revision surgery few years postop.

Once again surgeons in Europe claime that silicone implants are "very dangerous" and prone to infection/extrusion, but I have discovered that the infection/resorbtion rate of cartilage is higher. Just as K Couture mentioned before.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course the nose becomes bigger. Augmentation rhinoplasty literally means making the nose bigger. Asian and Caucasian rhinoplasties seek to achieve different aesthetic goals. Asian patients typically undergo the procedure to add height and length to the nose. I don't know why you would contest this.

Refining a wide nasal dorsum in the majority of Caucasian patients involves osteotomies of some form. In cases where augmentation is required, onlay grafts are usually sourced from septal cartilage. In most primary Caucasian rhinoplasties, there is no reason to use any other material. Spreader grafts can be fashioned from rib cartilage, but, as the name suggests, are used to widen the bridge.

If Asian septal cartilage were sufficient, we would augment the bridge with it too. But that is rarely the case, hence the use of implants. Conversely, Caucasian nasal skin is much thinner than Asian nasal skin, making it less suitable for silicone implants.

I am sorry but I asked you before whether you live in Europe, since you gave me no answer I suppose you don't live there. I am an European and live in Europe. I have had several rhinoplasties on myself and do know many other people who have had rhinoplasties as well. Very very often Doctor's here use rib and ear cartilage and also fascia from the patients scalp. In order to make a wide nose narrower doctors here put a large piece of cartilage graft along the dorsum. They do the same to make a deviated nasal bride appear straight, as well as to correct a "saddle nose" . Please don't try to educate me on this I have seen it with my own eyes for many many years.

I get what you both are saying and it's really just a difference in terminology and perception. In a way the asian nose when augmented does get bigger in terms of the increase in height. But at the same time the added dimension to the nose gives it a more narrow appearance. You both are essentially saying the same thing but using different definitions

Exactly! This is what I said from the beginning I said the nose will become higher but at the same time narrower, the other user kept saying “bigger“ which is not true, you need correct terminology in rhinoplasty

She also claims that surgeons in Europe do not need to harvest cartledge since caucasians "have enough septal cartilage" ,but this is also not true, I know many people and very often cartilage is harvested from the ear or rib even at primary rhinoplasties on caucasians

Yes, you will have to get the implant replaced. I don't want to go back for a revision either, so I really wanted to use cartilage materials for the nose bridge but I heard it does absorb a bit. Has anyone heard of the "No Plant" rhinoplasty at GNG?

• 6 months later...
Sorry to reply to an old post, but I think it is a bit extreme to say you will for sure need the implant replaced. Of course there are complications that can come later on, but from what I've seen the implants last a long time for the majority of people (though it really has not been around long enough to give an accurate say of whether it will last until death). Most of the revisions with the implants (that aren't L shaped) seem to be because they don't look right for them personally rather than infection etc. I personally am thinking of opting for the No-plant rhino at GNG as I have had a friend who had amazing results with it.