BeautyHacker

Dealing with Irresponsible Clinics that Botch Surgeries

I read the thread on BK and was so upset by their lack of responsibility. Most clinics at least have the decency to refund your money if they botch your surgery.

As someone who has taken on some pretty big/tough organizations in the past, I'd suggest the following strategies:

1) Threaten to go public, and if they don't refund your money, follow through. Complain to your local newspapers as well as to major newspapers like USA Today, CNN, NYTimes, etc. Give interviews to every news channel you can find.

2) Take on social media yourself. Youtube, blogging, Twitter -- start a social media campaign against them. BUT, make sure you have evidence and are willing to show your pics (they can sue *you* for libel/slander if you don't have proof of your surgery + pics of the outcome). Start threads (don't just post a post -- that will get lost in the thousands) about your bad experience and follow it up with evidence (i.e. pictures).

3) Spam them with professional (NON-HARASSING! again, *you* don't want to get in trouble) letters and emails on a regular basis. One summer, I signed up for an online college class that cost $900. I dropped the class on the first day of classes because I was told specifically by the business department that I'd get a 100% refund, but then it turned out that policy did not apply to online classes. They threatened legal action/to send me to the collectors. I took them on, writing very firm letters to drop the charges every single week. I told them I'd report them to the Attorney General, and I also threatened to go to the press and sent them a sample news story that I'd pitch (i.e. "Struggling College Student Forced to Pay for Classes She Did Not Take.") They gave in after a couple of months and dropped the charge.

Basically, by making life very, very difficult for their business, you can fight back in ways that the legal system may not be able to effect. *Disclaimer: be prepared to use evidence. I myself am not a big believer in the whole "blacklisted" thing -- I like to see proof before making a decision.