BeautyHacker

YK Plastic Surgery

http://www.yk5151.net
Hi guys
I have never seen any posts about this clinic here but he has been featured on Real Self by a very happy patient. Furthermore Dr Yong Kyu Kim's English site is excellent. I love his work but unfortunately he doesn't do facelifts.
Here is the review on Real Self
http://www.realself.com/review/south-korea-kr-30yrs-rhinoplasty-facelift-restylane-cheekbone-reductionlift

This review is a good example of Korean plastic surgery review spam in cyberspace, but it looks like it's now crossing into the English realm of realself. I've often argued with Korean marketing agencies and also asian beauty startups and apps who are trying to churn out this fake review content and don't seem to think it's unethical.

I literally had a face-palm moment on how blatantly obvious this one is. It's not necessarily easy to spot to the untrained eye, so I don't mean any offense for calling this review out, it's not anyone's fault for being taken-in by this kind of content. Also, this is in no way a bad reflection of Dr. Yong at YK because 99% of clinics do this, and the 1% that don't usually don't survive. Also, it's usually marketing agencies or worse, unlicensed and illegal surgery brokers doing this, and the doctors or clinics are not really aware.

So again, don't take this as a reflection of the doctor's skill, and by all means consult with YK, but don't hang onto every word of this review either.

Here are the giveaways:

1) The person is clearly a native Korean or Chinese born in Korea.

2) The photos are very Naver Cafe, BabiTalk, SoYoung stylized, don't be surprised if this review is on all those communities.

3) The poor English and frequent line breaks is how a lot of poorly translated content from Korean to English looks.

4) The post-opp monthly updates do not sync up with the actual posting date, they're too frequent.

5) The person has clearly been in Korea the whole time and is not a medical tourist or a foreigner. In this 4 month update photo she's on a Korean bus, you can tell by the writing in the back.

ai.realself.com/full/7de4f587921e105a1af054d8c54e70c7/8/1/b/userimage-1091579.png

In the unlikely scenario that a native Korean with poor English skills, has decided to join an English and primarily US based plastic surgery community like realself to post her story with an immaculate 5 star review across the board with no vested interest in the clinic. Well, if all of that is true, then it's really a stretch and beyond belief.

hello guys..

I've been emailing back and forth with YK plastic surgery and will be doing consultation when I get to seoul in december. After an initial review of the photos I sent, I was suggested to have rhinoplasty, eyes surgery, jaw plasty and hair transplant.. that would add up to about 15 thousand euros or 22 million KW i think..

The price quoted was after discount if I pay 10% deposit payment.. is it customary to pay this deposit?

Anyway, my biggest concern is, am I going to the right clinic?? I have been researching for months.. having sleepless nights.. scared but determined to change my life..

Please advise..

Even if all that being true, I still like the doctor's work.
Here is a sample of his facelift taken 7 wks post op. He used Endotine clips for her nasalabial lines. A lot of the forumers will be interested in this as you get sagging post jaw surgery.
http://www.realself.com/find/South-Korea/Plastic-Surgeon/Yong-Kyu-Kim#photo-2030765

I understand your anxiety, and a lot of people on this forum can sympathize and I've seen it first hand with my users. You only pay the deposit when you are certain you want to have your procedure there.

Also these are standards for deposit refunds regarding plastic surgery:

Cancelling before surgery

3 days before 90% is returned back to you.
2 days before 50% is returned back to you.
1 day before 10% is returned back to you.
Day of surgery 0% is returned back to you.

Yeah, I'd say it's worth checking out. When it comes to looking at unauthenticated reviews what what you just did is a perfect. And it's similar to what a lot of smart Korean consumers do when they scan online beauty communities.

They've sort of developed a filter and just look at the reviews to pull out other useful info: available treatments, treatment technique, experience, price range, location etc...

My mantra for unauthenticated review content is:

"Don't take their word for it, go see it for yourself"

Thanks for the insight.. Out of all the clinics I've contacted, YK seems pretty legit. I still have to get quotes from a few others like pitangui n so on.

What strikes me the most is that YK clinic isn't run of the mill, factory like clinic like big names like ID and Grand. I get a personal communication with the doctor himself rather than the international patient coordinator. If that's a good thing, I'm not sure. I wonder if he'll do all the different surgeries himself or there are other doctors working in his clinic and the divide the work based on speciality of an individual doctors.

Anyway.. What a journey it's been so far for me. Booked a flight to Istanbul, turkey back in august but ended up not going thru with my surgery plan there as I feel Korean doctors understand Asian aesthetics better. It's so important to research n research n research.. I'd pay like half of the price I pay if I were to do it in turkey n spend half the amount of time flying! But I want to do this just once n it must be good.

Again, thanks so much for the advise.

Je vous remercie à fond de mon cœur!!! Bon journée à tous..

Matty

Where are you coming from? I haven't visited YK yet, but they're on my list to check out for my startup. I might try to stop by later this week.

YK is more a of boutique and mid-size clinic. Usually clinics like are either a specialty clinic in one or a few areas, or there might be doctor who does multiple face and body treatments. The larger hospitals tend to have departments and surgeons for each area, but the tradeoff might be facetime that one-to-one facetime.

Although this wasn't the case last month with one of my users who did revision facial contouring at one of the larger hospitals. they spent a lot of time with her in the consult, and the surgeon was one of the main celebrity doctors on the staff. I have a podcast interview with her that I'll publish soon about her experience.

These are the YK doctors as I see on their Korean website, so it looks like Dr Yong Kyu Kim will perform all the procedures, but the second main surgeon may also assist.

Dr. Yong Kyu Kim (the main plastic surgeon) and seems that he covers all aspects of face and body treatments.

Dr. Hyong Kyu Kim - Plastic Surgeon - (Stem Cell and Anti-Aging)

Dr. Sang Rok Kim (Orthodontist)

Dr. Woong Chul Lee (Anesthesiologist)

Hi again,

I'm Malaysian but I live in Brussels, Belgium. I would love to know what's your verdict of YK...

Thanks!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Hey,
Speaking of facial contouring revision would you know a clinic that does really good jaw revisions?
I have had lower jaw surgery here in my home country but im not satisfied with the results.
Also do you know something about hair clinics in Korea?, Im not getting bald I just want to lower my hairline a bit cause i want to make my forehead smaller.

thank you. I have plan to go to Korea for surgery, but I am in the stage of initial shopping.

I have to say that of all the clinics I contacted, YK is the only one that replied my email from the operating doctor himself.. probably because they are smallish and rather a boutique clinic.. but it's really assuring for me to be able to talk directly to Dr Kim..

His english is excellent, so it's really easy to communicate.. I'll be going somewhere in december and planning, as discussed, to have a minor jaw line contouring, chin augmentation, zygoma reduction, rhinoplasty and eyes surgery.. quite a lot huh... Im really a bit scared but hey.. no pain no glory hehehehe..

Okidoki, I'll keep you guys posted as and when it happens.. but if anyone of you has more informations about this clinic, do let us know..