BeautyHacker

Revision rhino for contracted nose at April 31st (Part III)

PART III

Anyway, after the consult with Dr. Kim, i got a price quote and went back to the hotel to think about it.

It did not take me long to think about it because here I was in Korea. I talked to Dr. Kim and he was serious and did not seem like an overpromising fake, he was an expert in contracted noses and I had no options for that particular issue in the U.S. I decided to do it and i texted Brian (he said they could fit me in as they make special accomodations for patients who travel from different countries who have surgery with them. He told me to come in Monday and we would set it up. So Monday, I went in, set up my surgery for the next day (Tuesday), went over again my surgery goals with Brian and Dr. Kim, got my surgical instructions (twilight with sedation only Thank God) and jumped head first in the deep water.

TUESDAY SURGERY DAY;

Surgery was at 1:00 PM, I got there and was lead to the surgery center, got undressed and redressed in surgical garments, washed face and waited to talk to Dr. Kim. He went over the plan again. Then I went to the preop room and laid down and the nurse put my IV. I had the most anxiety over this but this nurse was an expert and I did not even feel the needle go in which was a miracle. Brian and Henry were with me making everything went smoothly. After the IV was i I was lead into the OR. I was shaking like a leaf. Dr. Kim came in and said trust him. I was told to lie on my stomach because they were going to take the dermafat out first. I laid on my stomach and talked to Brian (it was comforting because I was scared to death) and soon enough the next thing i remember was waking up in the preop room. I was thirsty but they did not give me anything to drink because they said i had to wait. I was not in excruciating pain but my nose hurt and I asked for morphine. Well apparently morphine is illegal in Korea so they gave me another pain which was not so bad but it was not Morphine either. :biggrin: Well I was so happy because I was not dead and I did not have necrosis (a big risk when you have as many surgeries as I have had) . A half an hour later, Dr. Kim came in to see me and said that my surgery went well and he was able to open up my airways and derotate my tip and expand my nose. I was happy to hear it but at that point I just wanted to go back to my hotel room and eat and go to bed. Brian had a driver, driver me back to my hotel, went and got my medication for me and told me to return the next day for my first post op appointment. The next day I had my first post appointment where they changed my bandages and so far I have had three post op appointments in a week. One thing here is they are meticulous about after care which is good because they last thing I need is to get another infection. Tomorrow I go to have the rest of my nose stiches out. I am a little aftaid to look at my nose because I have gone through this so many times before and I am also so afraid it will contract again.I do think I made a good choice though in surgeons and I will continue to hope for the best and keep everyone up to date.

Please, if you have a contracted nose, I would love to talk to you and also anyone with multiples I hope this post helped you a little with information or otherwise. I will post again soon and let you know how things are going!

Best,

Nadine

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for your bravery in sharing. Please keep us posted on your progress and I pray you will have a nice, normal-looking and pretty result! I too have been through a lot of nose surgeries and disappointment in the U.S., and although our situations aren't exactly the same, I can relate in many ways. It takes a lot to put oneself through surgery again, and have HOPE. I am rooting for you!!
PS, does Brian have an email you could share? You can send me a message privately if you like. I emailed the April31 clinic some time back but haven't received a response.
Thanks!!!

Thank you ladies ( or gentlemen:smile:) I really hope so too. I got my cast off yesterday. It is SUPER SWOLLEN. For me this is a good thing because my nose was unnaturally tiny. My nose looks derotated now which was so important and most importantly, is the volume which looks more natural. I have to wear nostril retainers for about a month. Even though Dr. Kim said I had to wear them around the house and at night only, I will probably wear them 24/7 because I am paranoid my nose will collapse again.
Catelet, I have Brian's business card with all his contact info on it. I will take a pic and send it to you tonight. I will keep everyone updated on my progess. I go home tomorrow and today I will go to the National Museum of Korea and the Myeoundong Underground Shopping Center because all the kids in my family want K-Pop stuff. I dont even know what I am looking for lol but this is supposed to be the place to go for K Pop gear. Talk to you soon everyone :heart:
Nadine

Sounds good re: Brian's card, Nadine! ;) No rush--just take good care of you! Sooo happy to hear you are healing well, and that your nose is more to your liking already!! Yes, do keep us posted and get lots of rest!!!

Nadine, thank you so much for sharing. I have problems with my rhinoplasty from two years ago (the surgeon damaged my facial nerve so I am unable to smile properly on one side, the implant being so high that people could tell that it was unnatural and talked about it in a hurtful way) and can only imagine just how much you had to go through. Your courage and determination are incredibly inspiring. Please do take care and rest well!

Hi Muppets. First off, I reach out to you with best wishes and hope for your healing. I can completely relate about people saying hurtful stuff about bad surgery. Like it was our fault. Yea, right. What about the incompetent and negligent doctor? I am sad the surgeon damaged your facial nerve. Have you consulted any reconstructive surgeons (Like Menick in Arizona?) just to get feedback or some advice? Did you get your implant out yet? I will pray that you find a way. Thanks for reaching out to me, it makes me feel less alone in the world. :heart: Nadine

I'm pretty sure I saw you when I was going back for my surgery (heard Brian call you Nadine). Your nose looked very natural from what I could see. How are you feeling? Did you feel aftercare was adequate? I am only a few hours out from my surgery now but hoping for a good result like yours!

They do say sticks and stones, but I think words have the capacity to hurt so much more. But we'll emerge stronger from this.

I'm resigned to the fact that I can't smile fully on one side, so have not consulted anyone in those two years.

I wasn't happy with the nose when my cast was removed but felt I could live with it. My tolerance of the comments people make (on public transport etc) have reached a tipping point however and I've become terrified of facing people, so I'm hoping to go sometime this year to replace the implant (a complete removal would be ideal but imposible because of alarplasty) in the hope that this'll help me blend in. Am definitely reluctant to though, not least because the korea ps environment seems to have worsened - all the clinics seem positively dodgy. I wish I'd been in Seoul at the same time as you, you seem absolutely lovely and I'd have loved to hang out together.

Hope your recovery is progressing well. Tons of water, bromelain/arnica, a bit of exercise each day and tons of sleep. I look forward to reading more about your recovery.

Nadine you already done revision! I am relieved that you have pick a surgeon of your choice, i wish you happy healing! I've heard that april31 post-op care isn't the best but i surely hope you won't get the same experience! Hope everything goes well from here :smile:

Why does the alarplasty make complete removal of the implant impossible? What issues does this cause? I'm kind of in a similar situation.

My aim was for a complete reversal of my surgeries, and failing that a more natural looking nose, but the former would be outright impossible, and as for the latter, it's not so much the alarplasty but it is an extra factor - any scar tissue/shaved bridge would show up more prominently, and the overall shape of the nose would be unbalanced.

So no health issues (I think, unless someone can point me to more information), but more aesthetic concerns.