BeautyHacker

My Review on Wonjin Clinic

I've been on this forum for nearly five years now, and I thought I'd share my insights on Wonjin. It tends to have pretty negative reviews on forums, so I thought I'd share my input.

THE GOOD

-- First of all, I think they are one of the best places for silicone rhinoplasty, hands-down. Rib, I'm not so sure about, but they do a REALLY good job on noses using silicone + cartilage for the tip. I had a very difficult nose -- flat, wide, hideous, and they did an amazing job via closed rhinoplasty. I didn't even get it done by Dr. Park Wonjin; it was just some random doctor who did a really good job (considering the difficulty of the case he was presented with). He wasn't some warm or chatty guy and he couldn't speak English, but he was awesome. I actually wish I'd gotten rib rhinoplasty due to autoimmune health issues with silicone, but that's obviously not the clinic's fault. In terms of aesthetics, they did a wonderful job.

-- One of the reasons I liked them was that they are really good at doing both subtle/natural work as well as more dramatic effects.

-- Their prices are some of the most reasonable in Korea.

-- Their customer service for foreigners is exceptional. They have a specific floor for international patients, and there's always an English-speaking patient there. Both times I went there, I was helped by extremely helpful girls who used to live in the U.S. (and thus had a perfect understanding of the language). They went above and beyond in helping me, even with things that had nothing to do with surgery (like how to get around the city, which trains to take, etc.).

-- Unlike other clinics, they do NOT up-sell. They actually talked me out of several procedures both times I went there and always recommended the minimally invasive options (I actually ended up declining and just decided to do these extra things in the U.S. instead, since the prices are pretty even these days). Personally, I am surprised they didn't recommend some sort of jaw surgery or V-line contouring -- I have a fat, awkwardly-shaped round head with ridiculously fat cheeks for my age. I find them just extremely ethical. The first girl who helped me back in 2003, Angela, was so sweet. The current one, Ina, was incredibly nice and helpful as well. But even more importantly, they were HONEST and that's really something valuable when you're getting surgery in another country.

-- I've heard allegations of "shadow doctors." THIS IS FLAT-OUT UNTRUE. For my eyelid surgery, I was awake 95% of the time and believe me, it was the same doctor I was presented with (more on that later). The doctors are not only the same, they're extremely present, engaged, and actively speaking with you throughout the process. Another reason why I don't buy this allegation is that they are like, the most uptight clinic when it comes to rules and regulations ever. Both times I was forced to return home for stitches because they refused to bend in regards to even one day (I was 4 days out when I went home; you have to be 5 days out to get stitches removed). So no, I don't think they would switch doctors.

THE BAD

-- The reason I had to return was because the eye doctor did not listen to me the first time around. I told her that I had ptosis issues and she ignored me and said she was going to just do double eyelids. Because I was pretty new to the whole plastic surgery thing and didn't want to seem rude, I didn't argue. Within months, it became very clear my eyes were more asymmetrical than ever, and my vision on the affected eye actually ended up being blocked 4-5 years out (it was so severe that had I done this surgery in the U.S., my insurance had already agreed to pay). She was a very skilled physician and did not scar me at all, but it wasn't what I wanted or needed. Hence, I had to return for Round 2 just a few years later.

-- The anesthesia wore off both times and I was in EXCRUCIATING pain. I don't understand why they do not administer more anesthesia -- in the U.S., it is commonplace to completely anesthetize the area being worked on. From what I have read about other clinics, they don't seem to have this problem either. I felt every single burn, cut, stitch, and tug. I started crying and heaving halfway and the nurse had to push my chest down to stop me from moving. I don't know if this is clinic policy or just that particular doctor/that set of nurses, but it was awful in terms of pain management. If you choose to go there, I would be VERY CLEAR that you need adequate anesthesia and set up a system with them beforehand in terms of alerting them of your pain level (i.e. raise your hand slightly during surgery to signal the need for more anesthesia, the way you do at a dental office).

-- Again, I think the biggest issue I have with their practice is that you have to be very assertive (to the point of aggressive) to let them know what you want. If you're a timid person or gets bullied easily, you're probably not going to end up with the result you're seeking (I have read a LOT of revision cases on this forum dealing with this issue exactly -- they did not speak up enough and thus received results they were unhappy with). So don't even bother to go in until you've mustered the courage and conviction to clearly and effectively state what you want. If they disagree, LEAVE. I wish I had; I wouldn't have to go through Round 2 of hell.

MORE GOOD

-- That said, I'm very, very happy with the revision surgery. They had the same doctor operate on me again, and this time she did what I wanted and did a great job. It was an awful experience with the anesthesia (again), but I was very assertive this time around regarding what I wanted and she finally listened.

-- They have a lot of integrity in regards to revisions. A lot of places refuse to do it for free; they agreed to do it for free and did so without attitude (again, a LOT of places get pissy if you ask for a revision).

So yeah, after four years of dealing with them, I wanted to kind of "clear the air" a bit because I keep reading about how awful they are, and I just don't think that's true. They need better pain management procedures, but otherwise they have a lot of integrity, skill, and good customer service.

Thanks for the detailed review regarding Wonjin. I get mostly bad stuff about them and I was wondering whether patient's actually go there! But OMG on the anesthesia part... so scary!! I am NOT good with pain at all and that seems a bit traumatizing for me actually.. But anyways I am glad you like your results! :smile:

Thanks for sharing your experience. This is a very fairly written review. I don't think I've ever heard of free DES revision years later for a foreigner before. Did they at first quote you a discounted rate but then you fought to have them do it for free? Or was it agreed upon before the first surgery that any revision due to their mistake is free?

Just curious, what minimally invasive options did you decide to do in the US instead? I thought everything is much cheaper in like botox and filler in Korea so it makes sense to do it there since you're already there. BTW it looks like you have a small typo as you wrote 2003, so I initially thought you got your first surgery done a long time ago.

Oops, I meant 2013, not 2003!

Nope -- they gave it to me for free right away without haggling. Their policy -- I believe -- is that you get 2 years to return for free, and then after that 50%. I had to sign something like that during my revision surgery. However, I emailed them a picture of how awful the ptosis was and they offered it to me for free right away.

I asked them specifically about my face shape both times but was talked out of doing invasive procedures both times, so I definitely respect them for not trying to up-sell. The customer service there is by far the most outstanding I've ever seen. They have Mandrin speakers and English speakers and take care of you from beginning to end.

While I was there, I asked them for quotes on fillers (I have acne scars). I also asked a few other clinics for quotes. They were the same as what I'd been quoted in the U.S., though I'm a cheapskate and go on Groupon to get fillers so I have gotten fillers for under $300 easily in the U.S via Groupon/LivingSocial. You can also find way better deals on Botox in the U.S. depending on where you live. (For example, I don't live in NYC, but I've gone there several times to utilize Groupons for teeth whitening, fillers, Botox jaw injection, etc.). Liposuction is also the same or cheaper in the U.S., depending on where you live. I don't groupon for that (too risky); I go to a reputable plastic surgeon in Chevy Chase, Maryland... Though I'm getting disillusioned re: lipo. I had chin lipo in 2015 when I was in the 150-160 lb range. I lost 30 lbs and gained 7 and now the fat is BACK and looks nearly as bad as it did when I was in the 150s (even though now I'm only in the 130s... go figure)! The idea that fat doesn't grow back after lipo is blatantly false. I'm living proof :-/

Some other things that I felt were not cheaper in Korea:

-- Chin Implants (the staff at Wonjin talked me out of getting one, but the cost in Korea is pretty even to most places in the U.S., though I do know of some outrageously expensive places in the U.S. that charge like 5K). But in my hometown they are $2500-3000. Every clinic I got quotes from in Korea cited around $2700.

-- Revision rhinoplasty using rib -- this has steadily increased since the first time I went to Korea in 2013. I'm looking at 15K at this point regardless of whether I do it in the U.S. or Korea. I wish I didn't have to do this because I LOVE the way my nose looks (plus the doctor at Wonjin did something to help my breathing a lot), but I'm having autoimmune issues with the silicone (I don't mean to scare anyone with that; 98% of people won't have problems just because they get silicone breast/nose implants, I was just one of the unlucky ones).

-- Hair transplant (I've always wanted thicker eyebrows, but I got a quote of $3000 in Korea from each clinic. There is a doctor in Utah that charges $3500 and he discounts for travel, so it amounts to the same).

Agree with you. Wonjin was super popular because of their results and price, I think it's still quite popular among locals. People got scared because someone died there. It was a young girl of 21 years old who did double jaw surgery. I don't know if the doctors are still the same, but there was a time when they were so good at multiple surgeries.
Thanks for your update about Wonjin :smile: