BeautyHacker

Vertical sliding genioplasty at The Face Dental + minor canthoplasty at MVP. Another success story

Hello girls and some guys. It's your proverbial boy here with yet another thread on a recent trip to Korea. This time I'm gonna talk about the seriously needed sliding genioplasty procedure that I had at the Face Dental with Dr Lee.

Also I just wanted to be absolutely clear and say that I’m not being sponsored to write this review for any gain whatsoever because:
1) I’m 1 surgery away from my “perfect form”. It’s forehead contouring and I’ve already decided on running back to Jogak to fix this. And then I won’t need any more surgeries.
2) IDGAF. I once had my signature visible and show off 6 surgeries with the respective dates. My last surgery was in December for back of head augmentation. As you can tell, I’ve already gone off ahead to my next surgery in 4 months time. So that makes 7 total now. I’m either a) A fairly successful person whose lifestyle allows him to find the time and money to fund surgeries or b) a crazy person in debt and unemployed from the amount of off-days taken. I’ll let you figure out which one I am but either way clearly no amount of discounts from the clinics means anything to me at this point ;)
3) I really DGAF. Many members here know that from the Tony post I made a while ago that I have no problem with exposing the truth in the most brutal fashion (like with a recording). I laugh at the face of Korean slander laws. Ha ha ha ha.

Back to sliding genioplasty.

I really needed this procedure because at 25 years of age, I felt like a boy with my small chin. I didn't have a recessed chin. Actually I had an acceptable jaw line, but I lacked vertical length. My jaw and chin created a U shape that does not look flattering on men. Almost all Hollywood male celebs have a nice v shape from the jaw to the chin (Sorry Kpop, but I use Hollywood as my standard for judgement! Don't hate this American :sad: ).

I knew I needed this done and I've always told myself that this would be the last general anesthesia related PS surgery I'd ever do. In classically overpriced America, the procedure starts at $10,000. So I naturally turned towards Korea and narrowed down my options to 3 clinics: Banobagi, View, and The Face Dental. I wanted highly reputed doctors that could speak English—I needed to personally convey my Hollywood centric standard of chin proportions to the doctor. Many people in Korea want smaller chins and I was blasphemously asking for the exact opposite. I had considered consulting with EU Dental, but since they poorly handled the whole Katrinawhy incident, I decided to cross them off.

I set up the consults with View and The Face Dental with Kakao. Banobagi however caused some problems.

Banobagi: I had initially visited Banobagi for back of head augmentation back in December because they offered this procedure as well. But I had made the mistake of going to Banobagi with Tony. 4 months later when I inquired Banobagi for sliding genioplasty, the consultant said that she would need to inform my “previous broker.” I was shocked and questioned the need to involve Tony again. She told me it was “hospital policy.” I tried to reason with her and explain that I had no idea at the time that Tony was acting as my broker and pointed out the lack of documentation, but she didn’t listen. So I called her out, burned bridges, and cancelled the appointment…as a loud mouthed American would do.

I decided to contact a different division of Banobagi this time through the help of a good Korean friend who works in the PS industry. My bad experience did not improve. First, the consultant handed me bad solutions. She suggested 1) Mini-vline 2) A chin implant. I hated both of these and I made it very clear that I didn’t want a mini line. It looks horrible on men and honestly in my opinion on women too. I tried explaining that I want to adhere to Western standards of bigger chins and she couldn’t really keep up. At this point I just wanted to discuss details with Dr Oh directly. A couple of days later she surprised me with news that Dr Oh made holiday reservations during my trip. They tried to pawn me off to Dr Park, but I only wanted Dr Oh. I didn’t bother responding to cancel. I ghosted off on Banobagi and ignored all subsequent follow up emails from them.

I’m honestly very upset with Banobagi’s consultants. I actually think they are an awesome clinic, but the consultants play these stupid games and turn off their prospective patients. I cannot believe how a clinic with awesome surgeons and nurses are being screwed over by absolutely stupid consultants that have no idea how to conduct themselves properly to international patients. This is so sad and very stupid. Shame on you Banobagi.

The Face Dental (TFD): I noticed TFD's building wasn’t super fancy, but it still looked nice and modern. I really liked their cafe. When I went upstairs to the 4th floor, I met the consultants. They didn’t speak English but we communicated with the translation app. The girl that took my pictures was very cute. I then spoke to Dr Lee for about 45 min. He speaks very good English and we talked about achieving my ideal Western aesthetic. I showed him pictures of Chris Hemsworth, Jake Gyllenhaal, Sendhil Ramamurthy, and Eddie Peng (lol). I felt very comfortable with him, and I got a gut feeling that this was the guy.

I then spoke to the consultant. She’s a sweet lady, but her English is both atrocious, and annoying. This was by far the worst English I’ve ever heard spoken by a Korean in my life. I think Dr Lee should invest in getting her more fluent in English or hire a consultant specific for International patients. Otherwise, I enjoyed this visit.

View: I had set up View right after TFD. At first I was super impressed with the big building. Inside, View felt like a hotel. The English consultant was very nice and spoke American-level English which was very comforting. But then it all started to go downhill from there. A second consultant joined and I was very confused as to why. The two consultants didn’t really seem to have chemistry and second one seemed domineering over the first. I requested to see Dr Lee Dong Chan but the second consultant mumbled that he was a bit busy…but then she said she’ll try to fix the consult with him. This was concerning because I set up this appointment a month in advance. Anyway I hoped for the best. I was taken away for X-rays and ct scan….I asked for the protective garment but they denied my request for some BS explanation. I was getting impatient here.

When I came back to the consulting room, a THIRD consultant joined us. She looked very attractive. She looked like one of the talk show hosts in the Korean PS TV show that View is a part of. Her clothing was all white and clearly she was the boss of the other 2 consultants. She said that my surgery is NOT a dramatic case and so it would be better to visit Dr Lee Yoon Ho instead of Dr Chan. I insisted to see Dr Chan because I saw solid reviews about him, and I closely knew a girl that recently at the time had a successful surgery with Dr Chan. The second consultant said that actually Dr Yoon did her chin surgery…but I had KakaoTalk proof from this girl that it was Dr Chan who did her FC and Dr Yoon who did her nose. So someone was lying here, and it was most likely the consultants. I made up my mind then and there that surgery wouldn’t work here due to fear of shadow doctors, but I decided to go for the consult with Dr Yoon anyway. Dr Yoon was awesome and nice but the consult lasted barely for 5 min. He first suggested mini vline but I said no to it. He complied and suggested 6mm vertical movement of chin only. I asked how he would get the bone graft to fill the gap area, and he said he’d take it from the chin area. I asked him about Dr Lee from TFD’s method of taking the graft from the mandibular reymus area but Dr Yoon confirmed that this is an alternative technique that he wasn’t too familiar with. He naturally didn’t recommend it. I remembered Dr Lee from TFD however mentioning in my TFD consultation that he was very familiar with both techniques. I could clearly see that Dr Lee from TFD was the superior surgeon for FC here.

After the consultation, all 3 consultants tried to sell hard for the surgery but I said that I needed time to decide. All 3 walked me down and introduced me to the other consultants. All of them looked gorgeous from head to toe. They offered to buy me a free drink from the coffee shop. One of the consultants also kindly charged my iPhone which was almost about to die. They were very nice and accommodating but ultimately, I decided not to pick View.

Bluntly speaking, View seemed fake. From the modified, overly plastic looking consultants to the interior to the over the top way they treat you, I expected not more but less. All I wanted was a 30 min or so consult with the doctor of my choice but I felt like got everything but that. I don’t know if they thought I as an American foreigner would lack the intellect to see through this facade or if this is how Gangnam people conduct themselves in a superficial manner, but I feel unimpressed.

And so I went with TFD. I got a 10mm vertical advancement with 3-4 mm horizontal advancement of the chin. No removal of bone. No damn mini vline.

Before
[​IMG][​IMG]

After:
(5 days post op)
[​IMG]

Now I have a manly chin!
[​IMG]

I also want to give a special shoutouts to MySeoulSecret.com. I used their services and I promised the CEO (we've become good friends) that I’d voluntarily give him a shout out. It’s basically the scrappy Korean version of the RealSelf.com startup. As a tech guy myself, I approve.

I used MySeoulSecret for the following:
- Insurance policy in case something wrong happens during surgery. I informed the CEO who I directly worked with about my procedure. I gave them my emergency contact. They are committed to helping legally in case things go wrong.
- General directions to and from airport to Airbnb…where to find supplies/groceries/shopping…how to use KakaoTaxi and places to go check out, nightclubs to check out, etc. He gives detailed written and video instructions on things like this through Kakaotalk. I really found this helpful. For example, it was 11pm when I landed to Seoul. MySeoulSecret suggested I stay over at an Airport hotel/SPA for the night and wake up tomorrow and use the Bus to reach my Airbnb. Beautiful and frugal.
- General knowledge about the PS industry and insider information about clinics in general. He and his team are also great to hang out with. They were celebrating a milestone in the startup and actually invited me out on Saturday to check out the night scene (I couldn’t because I had an early morning Flight on Sunday).

Again, they were NOT my broker or anything like that. I never once revealed my clinics of interest or my DOB or even my full name to them and they never asked. I just wanted someone to confide in undergoing this procedure and some insurance in case things went wrong because none of my family, friends, or coworkers knew about this trip. I paid them $100 USD for all these services.

Also…..

I had a lot of time to kill, so I decided to correct my eyes. I had mid facelift + canthoplasty with Dr Taban in Beverly Hills last year. I give that procedure a low B- because my left eye was tightened a bit too much, and I had always wanted to get it revised. I went to MVP and consulted with Dr Seo. He beautifully opened up my left eye by 2mm which made all the difference. I’m very happy with my eyes now. Thank you MVP, but I have mixed feelings with their consultants. I was assigned 2 consultants, one an efficient British Korean consultant and the other a short and skinny consultant. I love their British Korean consultant, but I didn’t like the short and skinny consultant because she literally seemed brain dead. She answered all my questions wrong and misinformed me on multiple occasions. For example she tried prepping me for general anesthesia. When I told her to double check, she came back realizing its a minor local anesthesia procedure. She always seemed confused.
But anyway, gotta give credit to MVP.

Hope this helps! I’m currently writing this is a happy mood. Right now, I’m in my “nigh-perfect form” or "penultimate form" and I’m enjoying life. Plastic surgery does indeed work. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and with careful planning and PATIENCE, I'm sure everyone can do this too!

Thanks guys!
Yeah sorry...I didn't upload pictures of my eyes on purpose because I plan to invest on myself in Instagram. I wanted to put as little as I can of myself out in the wild Internet before it bites me back later on lol. That's why I'm scared to post. But honestly, the 2 mm incision is a small change but it makes all the difference to make my eyes look symmetrical. Just believe me! lol.

I had lateral cantho

@MissOrange Haha yeah, I love surgeons that do well but thankfully I haven't had the experience of a surgeon that messed up just yet. I rank all my surgeries above a B+ except for the eyes with Dr Taban, but thankfully Dr Seo raised it from a B- to an A.

Hi, I just extracted the email from Victoria at MVP. She recommended Dr Seo. “Price of Rhinoplasty,osteotomy, tiplasty and hump reduction would be start from 4,000,000KRW+10%tax.”

Wow if I include ptosis double eyelid surgery with canthoplasty, I reckon it will be 7.5m won. Which I feel is pricey. I will try and consult next month, for surgery in either Aug 18 or Apr 19. Both are primary surgeries. Thanks for the advice.

@mlydzz Hey, so actually looks like I uploaded them but somehow only I can see the pics.

Actually I'll keep it this way. I plan on investing in Instagram and possibly Youtube in the future. The last thing I want is pictures of me on the internet circling back to haunt me later on.

Also, I tend to be very brutal with my critique on clinics. In case there may be grounds of slander that I'm not aware of, I'd rather not expose my pics.

However, if you are a part of the Korean PS KakaoTalk group, I've posted my pics there as after a certain time, those pics cannot be downloaded. I've received positive compliments on my chin improvement.

Hello, I'm really new to the PS world, but i've been doing massive research. Is there any way I could also join that KaKaoTalk group? I feel like it'd help me out a lot.