BeautyHacker

Skin Care Treatment - Was I overcharged?

Hi, I recently was in Korea for business and because I've read that the clinics/doctors there are really good with skin treatment I went for a consultation. I didn't have much time and I'm a guy so I'm definitely lacking in knowledge on this stuff. My feeling is that I was overpriced a lot. I had laser toning (a laser for melanocytes and a laser for blood vessels) on my entire face. I have acne scars on my cheeks and for this the doctor used another laser called a fraxel etwo laser. Lastely, to help with the overall complexion, he injected Rejurjan (which is basically DNA injections). I know of all the treatments the Rejuran was by far the most expensive. I paid a total of 1,900,000 Korean. I'm certain I was ripped off. I did like the doctor though he seemed smart. However depending on the results and if I do return to Korea I'd like to bargain for a fair price. I'm sure you all are more seasoned than me so I'd love to hear your thoughts on the price I paid. Cheers.

Wow, I was severely ripped off. They claimed that rejuran was 1.6 million but they gave me a "discount" on all of the other procedures (the laser ones) to give me a total of 1.9 million KRW. May I ask where you were able to get those prices for rejuran? Also, the rejuran amount total was only 2cc. I had no problem with the ability of the doctor but I think being an American they just overcharged me like crazy. If I return to Korea again, I'd prefer to go to the same place as they know my history but I must admit I'm really upset that I was taken advantage of.

I'm not quite sure how much laser toning and fraxel etwo laser costs, so I can't say for those.

For rejuran mesotherapy from Seoul Leaguer Dermatology, they quoted me 660,000KRW while ME Clinic had it for 473,000KRW at one point. ME Clinic has all their costs posted upfront on their website, while I consulted with Misooda (an agency) for Seoul Leaguer Dermatology through kakao. I also mentioned that I was a student so that could have factored in a discount as well.

Yep you were overcharged. To give you some idea, people have gotten DES for less than what you paid for a skin treatment. I think with foreigners some clinics give a way overpriced quote which they would come down from if you negotiated but due to cultural differences where it's unheard of for some to bargain for medical services, some foreigners don't know this nor do they know the going rate for that treatment and just pay the overpriced quote, trusting the clinic isn't ripping them off. So what clinic was this?

Oooh! I was considering meclinic, how was your consultation, and what did you think of rejuran/the clinic?

Did you have to book an appointment beforehand or you just walked in?

My experience was very positive. They cleaned my face very well and are quite professional compared to the facials in my home country. I booked a consultation on their website before hand. Not sure about rejuran but I will definitely go for additional mole removal services. I have doubts about their freckle removal services though.

Also should add, I visited chungdam u to consult for freckle removal. I met up straight with their dermatologist who spoke fantastic English. There was no consultant in between, which I really liked. Anyway, couldn’t get my freckles removed as I just had lasek. The dermatologist at chungdam u refused to do anything for me, as she didn’t want to hurt my eyes. I thought that was very honest of her, unlike the other clinic I visited (4Ever skin care?). Something to keep in mind.

That's good to know! I was a little put off by how short their responses are through FB messaging, but it seems like you had a good experience. I booked an initial consultation on their website, so hopefully I'll get some better feeling vibes :smile: Was thinking of doing only petit surgery this time around, so thank you!

I went to me clinic for mole removal and aqua peel. I like how Me Clinic is upfront with their prices, and you can get a tax refund. When I went there in the morning, there were a couple of Koreans waiting for procedures. I decided to go to Me Clinic on a whim, after seeing their prices. I feel clinics like Oracle may be a bit too expensive for my simple procedure, and are generally marketed towards tourists. Results wise, one week later, the mole is gone but hopefully no scars (need to apply duoderm sticker for that).

I can’t comment about fraxel co2 laser, but I believe the same co2 laser was also used on my moles, at a much smaller scale. Anyway, it did sting a little bit, I got a “hot” feeling on my moles, which is normal.

That being said, definitely consult more skincare clinics. Chungdam U apparently is very popular with locals. I will be researching for more clinics for my next trip to Korea.