BeautyHacker

Why is the surgery cost more expensive than local in Korea?

I have heard that foreigner's surgery cost is higher more than 20 ~ 40% compare to local cost.
Is it because of their Agency fee or for marketing cost or English staff ?
Anybody know why?

Its because they think we don't know the local prices and so they want to take advantage of us.

I got my vline and zygoma reduction for 9 mil krw total and rhinoplasty for 3.5 mil krw. I was originally quoted 5-9 mil krw for each area (cheek, chin, jaw) and 4-7 million krw for rhinoplasty from different clinics when I first contacted them using English. Then I created a new ID on kakao and messaged them again in Korean and got the lower prices.

Its unfair but do your research and keep bargaining.

You do have to also keep in mind that foreigners have priority when it comes to scheduling, they also need to hire consultants who can speak English, hire and creating marketing information to cater to foreigners as well. Some of the mark ups are ridiculous but foreigners should eat charged more if the hospital offers special services.

Did you do with the lower prices?, Wonder what make foreigner's cost higher. it is not fair.

There are several reasons that can be cited, but the overall takeaway is that it’s a practice that will not change anytime soon. If you want low prices close to what locals pay, you’ll have to go to a clinic that markets itself as being low cost, like Opera.

From a legal and operational standpoint, foreign patients are a greater risk to take on and require more preparations. Clinics need to hire foreign language translators, write new documents, arrange for accomodations or transportantion, all while not knowing if the demand will be steady enough to justify retaining theae employees.

The patients also create a larger risk in that miscommunication due to language barriers, and different cultural standards, increase likelihood of health complications or general client dis-satisfaction.

And then lastly, it’s just business sense to want more revenue to grow the hospital. They know ps costs differently in other countries, so they tailor the prices to be low enough to entice you, but high enough to justify the extra risk.

Thank you for your detailed opinion and it is very reasonable.
So foreigner's cost includes Marketing cost + English staff + pre and post services that local patient doesn't need.
Then I guess Clinic pay the commission to their ageny for Marketing cost + English staff + pre and post services cost.
:smile:

But I suddenly got a curious about that idea. Clinic also spend their money for local marketing, pre-post services and staff.
Does English staff and marketing cost is more higher than local?

My calculation
1) local surgery cost 1,000USD = foreigner's surgery cost 1,000USD
2) local marketing cost 1,000USD > = foreigner's marketing cost 500USD
3) Staff cost 800USD = < English staff cost 1,000USD

30% higher = Surgery cost + local marketing cost + staff cost + foreigner's marketing cost + English staff cost....

It is not fair i think...
Ofcourse my calculation may wrong.

With the exception of with the Chinese, it's mainly because with the exchange rate we pay much less than we would in our home country. Most foreigners don't even know what locals pay or that there is even a difference in price. The cost of marketing to a foreigner is no more than it is for a local. They do much more marketing for locals since the majority of their patients are Korean. their bread and butter business isn't foreigners. It's locals. Foreign patients pay for their own translators or their cost is passed to the foreign patient from the clinic.

Again except for the Chinese, it's simply a business decision. Do the same surgery for 2-3 times the money.

well written!

I don't think it's anything new that, in tourist traps, foreigners are charged more simply because they're foreign. Often it's simply assumed that if you have the money to travel, then you have the money to spend on other things. It's the same in Korea. They charge you more because they can.