BeautyHacker

Is it better to bring your own currency to Korea or convert all currency into Korean won first?

In my case, I am bringing SGD of about $14000, most likely in cash, to cover the costs for my procedures and accommodation! But I was wondering if it's better to exchange everything into Korean Won before entering Korea, or is it better to simply exchange in Korea after I've arrived? Is one more convenient than the other? Sorry, it's my first time planning for plastic surgery in Korea and I'm a bit of a noob here :biggrin: Thank you so much in advance for any replies!

If you are worried about losing the money, i suggest that you bring Korean won worth of usd 9k (as we need to declare to immigrations if we bring in usd10k). For the rest, you can withdraw cash from any Korean atm bank with the "Plus" logo as found in your SG atm card.

Thanks so much for the info! I almost decided to go to one of the banks in Korea to exchange :biggrin: Will definitely go to one of those exchange vendors!

Thank you so much for the reply! :biggrin: However I'd like to ask if it's very troublesome to declare at immigrations? I think I would prefer to clear everything with cash as it's more clean-cut, but if it's too troublesome to declare at customs I may not opt for that then :sad:

I have never brought usd10k into Korea before as I am scared that I will lose the money. On the arrival card (white card), there is usually a declaration box for that. I usually bring my SG atm card along in case I need to withdraw Korean won from the Korea banks. However, not all atms have the "Plus" logos.

Hey! I’m currently in Korea and brought over $10k usd and declared it without issue. You just have to write your estimated amount on the customs declaration. I’d recommend exchanging money in myeongdong in front of the Chinese embassy. However they only take specific bills, in my case they only take the newest $100 usd bills. So I’ll have to exchange the test at a bank (their rates aren’t as good).

hi @purrrina , thank you for informing us. I didn't know that the money exchanger in myeongdong only took 100 usd bills. may I ask what you mean by the newest 100 usd bills? I thought the newest 100 usd was from 2013?

I see! Thanks so much for the advice :biggrin: I shall just bring in cash then!

i think what she means newest bill = good condition.
some asian countries doesn't take ur money if ur bill has some mark or even folded at the top side.