BeautyHacker

Food for thought. Largest study on breast implant outcomes to date

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah. I don't need BA.
The only plastic surgery that i will do is, to take something out from my body and not introduce foreign stuff into my body.
I am a scaredy cat!

That's why I need mine out! With my luck, I will be the small % who gets it. When Dr Ion said his rhino infection rate was only 2% I thought wow small risk and then wham! I ended up in the 2% with a bad rhino infection. Cancer is another story all together and there is 0% risk of lymphoma if I get these implants out vs small % again which increases the longer the implant remains in situ. No way do I want chemotherapy. Yes @Fortunecat I agree our immune system wants to reject foreign bodies and in the end wins. I am now counting down the days to see my original surgeon in 13 days. I need to book an op date and can only do this after my consultation. When there is a completely safe option ie fat transfer minus the risk of a GA, there is no reason to risk one's health with breast implants and I now have less faith in US fda approval as Allergans were FDA approved!

I hope you can get them out asap. They are like a time bomb.
Most people thought the stats is so low and hence, no way will they get the infections/cancer etc. But then and again, its good to know of those risks and make an informed decision about plastic surgery. And after getting those surgeries, we have to be vigilant and listen to our own bodies and seek medical help asap if something is amiss.

Good luck @MissOrange on seeing your surgeon. Let us know how it goes!

The Dr. who removed my implants (he wasn't the one who placed them), wanted to just replace them--he even sat me up during explant (I did it awake) to show me how small I was going to be without them and wanting me to pay for more implants! I said no, I only wanted them out (mine were saline btw and they weren't old, and they weren't my first implants). I actually like being smaller-breasted and I'm so much happier without them. I couldn't stand the idea of more surgeries on my breasts down the road as I age to replace old implants, let alone any health risks in simply having them in my body.

And you know what? I have seen a lot of b&a of women with their implants removed (procedure is called explant) and they look fine. You can instruct the surgeon to give you a mini LIFT if he thinks you need it while he is at it to ensure you have perky teenager's breast. As you get older big breast can look matronly especially if you go up to DD.

I know I keep talking about Kao but I have to show this. He says his first love was to reconstruct breast post mastectomy and it is still his passion. He's also a master of fat grafting with stem cells.

Breast Cancer Reconstruction After Partial Mastectomy and Radiation: This 40 yo woman underwent 6 lumpectomies to get clear margins, followed by radiation therapy. She was left with a very large and deep partial mastectomy area. Breast implants do not work well in an irradiated breast, also implants are not made to reconstruct a partial breast defect. Tummy flap or back flap would be too invasive for use for reconstruction of a partial defect. We performed serial (4x) stem cell fat grafts to the lateral pole of the left breast. The reconstructed breast look and feels soft like a normal breast. The post-radiation fibrosis of the skin, which was once thought of as a permanent and devastating effect of radiation, is completely reversed! We just used her own fat stem cells to regrow a new breast
Screen Shot 2018-11-24 at 7.38.35 am.png

Is fat grafting to breast a good option though? Most reviews of that procedure stated that the fat reabsorbed completely several months post-op. I have never seen a review of breasts fat transfer which results last for a long time

This is different. It is not just fg. If you read it and look at the photos the stem cells 'grew' her breast back where they cut away the cancer. Fat grafting doesn't do that!

Hi @viamala I haven't done my research yet into the longevity of breast fg. I am just trying to remain positive and counting down the days to see my surgeon. Each night I am tossing and turning, upset I have spent money and 22 years of my life going through 4 breast implants each with their faults. December 6 cannot come quick enough to see my surgeon. I looked up Fresh's fat transfer and may consider this next year if left with a flat chest post explant.

It is vital you keep the details of your breast implants so that years later when a problem is publicised you can check to see if your model is the one with increased risk of lymphoma, etc. I pulled my 2012 records and am feeling nauseous as it confirms I have the exact same model as the ones in the 2 ladies with lymphoma featured in the daily mail article ..textured Allergan silicone. I felt despair in 1999 when I watched the news and the announcement that trilucent implants were being withdrawn for cancer in rats just as mine ruptured that month after 3 years. Then hydrogel leaked after I had that put in. Then Pip was banned in 2012 for toxic materials used after I had them since 2002. And now I have these us fda approved textured allergans for over 6 years when they caused cancer after 3-4 years in the ladies in the article who also got them like me in 2012 after removal of pips! I don't know how ladies cope with the time bomb anxiety if they cannot afford explant. I am gambling with risk of cancer until my surgeon takes these out! 11 full days before I see my original surgeon. Then comes the long wait to the op date in the New Year and fear of a flat chest.

More cases of an unusual cancer linked to breast implants have been reported to the Food and Drug Administration, the agency said on Wednesday, 21 March 2018.

The case count rose in the past year, to 414 cases from 359, the agency said in an update on its website. The number of deaths it has recorded, nine, has not changed from one year ago; a professional society of plastic surgeons is now reporting 16 related deaths.

The F.D.A.’s figures include cases from the United States and other countries. The agency began publicly reporting on the problem in 2011, and some of the apparent rise in cases may be due to increased awareness and diagnosis.

The disease is not breast cancer, but is a malignancy of the immune system called breast implant-associated anaplastic large-cell lymphoma. When detected early, it can usually be cured by surgery alone, by removing the implant and the capsule of scar tissue that forms around it. But some women have needed more extensive treatment, with chemotherapy and radiation, and the disease can be fatal.
A major symptom is swelling around the implant, which has occurred from two to 28 years after the surgery, with a median of eight years. In women with no symptoms, there is no reason to remove implants or even to screen for the disease, the F.D.A. said.

The lymphoma is more likely to occur in women with implants that have a textured coating, as opposed to a smooth cover, the agency said.

Wow thanks @SheOnlyLooks25. Median 8 years! I'm at 6 years 9 months and more likely in implants with a textured coating, that's me too. Aargh. Get these out of me asap!!! I have had all sorts of health issues...profuse PR bleeding and had a colonoscopy but they couldn't find a cause, severe chronic heartburn since 2014 and going for gastroscopy on December 5, right hip disabling pain and memory loss which I thought was due to statin but maybe not? The problem is I never linked any of this to the implants as I had no idea about silicone breast implant illness! What if my body is reacting? Good that the disease is cured with removal of the implant and capsule. I have been looking at explant postop photos and it seems day 0 is the worst with ripples of sagging held up by surgical tape and no breast tissue post explant which slowly fills out by day 2 and it seems months 3-4 are when the breast starts to look normal again. I am hoping my surgeon trims off the excess sagging skin during explant.