BeautyHacker

The face dental experience

I have gained so much knowledge and information from others on this forum that I thought it’d only be right to share my experience.

I am typing this as I’m preparing to leave Seoul, I was here for a total of about 3 weeks and underwent eyelid surgery (for my right eye) at JK and V-line surgery at the face dental.

I came to Seoul alone and was skittish and frankly quite scared. But i wanted to fix the asymmetry in my right eye and my jaw. I always had insecurities about asymmetry that was compounded by comments from others that I only looked “pretty” from my left side.

I underwent my (right) eyelid surgery before the V line surgery at the face dental. Which resulted in many issues with changing the schedule with Dr. Lee. However, he was always very accommodating and understanding even though I gave the clinic so many last minute changes in my consultation timings.

The consultation with Dr Lee made me feel safe and assured that I was in good hands. He has a very warm and friendly personality, I also felt assured because I was able to contact him directly through kakaotalk instead of through a consultant.
I ended up keeping my zygoma bones due to Dr Lee’s recommendation that I did not need the surgery. Which I greatly appreciated as it showed me that he truly cares for his patients and not just the money.
The clinic has a homely feel, most of the nurses can speak basic English and Dr Lee is very fluent in English. So communication was okay.

The hardest part about the whole process was waking up after surgery.
It was so difficult to wake up from the GA, my head felt like it was spinning and I don’t even know how to describe the feeling in my throat.
If you’re considering getting this procedure please be mentally prepared for the discomfort and pain of being unable to drink water for 4 hours after the surgery.
It doesn’t sound like much, but it was the most torturous thing I have experienced.
Thankfully the nurses on the floor were so kind and attentive, they kept checking on me.
I felt much better about 3 hours in the recovery room and was even able to take the subway back to the hotel in the evening!

The swelling peaked at about 3/4 days after the surgery and I looked normal (just chubbier from the swelling) at about 1.5-2 weeks after the surgery.

I love that I was able to see Dr Lee about 5 times after the surgery. I had so many uncertainties and questions and it felt reassuring to be able to see him personally.

I’m not sure if I covered everything about my experience, please feel free to ask me any questions.

May be a weird question, but have they talked about how you should sleep? I know to stack a couple pillows to help deswell, but I am a side sleeper (and hands by my face/head as a pillow if that makes sense) and I worry that might affect my result post-op. I'm actively trying to get used to sleeping on my back as a precaution anyway, but there's just some nights where I just can't

The post op instruction was to sleep with your head elevated above your chest for at least the first week!
I just stacked the pillows up against the headboard of the bed! Pro tip: if you’re looking for a Airbnb/hotel make sure that the bed has a headboard or a couch. I would recommend a hotel if you’re going alone and an Airbnb only if you’re traveling with someone else.
I slept on my back but would sometimes wake up to find myself in a “slided” down position/ with my face leaning against the pillow. It was not painful though, I just felt more swollen? the next morning
Haha. I think it helps to place a weighted blanket / pillow on your tummy (for me at least) to keep yourself on your back.

That's a great suggestion about the weighted pillow- thank you!! With travelling.. let's just say I'm fully prepared to download Google maps beforehand and use Google translate Were you able to easily navigate yourself (if you did any touring etc?) You're very brave to travel by yourself! I can't imagine getting there and having to care for yourself post-op

You’re welcomee^^
Yes~ i was able to get to places using the subway quite easily.
I wouldnt rely too much on google maps! Especially if you’re gojng to go to less touristy areas. It has led me in completely wrong directions to random streets._. Maybe it was the formating of the names of the streets or smth?
Perhaps you could look into naver maps or kakao maps.
It was okay! I think I panicked in the first few days post op haha. But I am a very lucky girl(: I am just glad that everything turned out fine.
I think its important to be prepare for the mental stress as well, most people worry about the physical stress but the mental stress is there too . Worrying about the results, how people will look at you, the healing etc.
And espcially in the case of jaw surgery, the sagging that might follow as well.
Its good that you’ll have someone with you!

• 4 weeks later...
I am post 3 weeks from tfd and i went out walked a bit on 3rd day. And on 5th day I was walking for hours doing sight seeing. I was wearing a pollution mask though since I looked very swollen. Everyone wears it in seoul so I didn’t look odd.

hii i'm also interested in v line surgery. but my face is a bit square and i want an oval face with bit pointed chin. i notice people said tfd do natural results, but i would like to change my face shape and i wonder if they can

It went to tfd for vline. My face was super square and now it’s oval. How much Dr Lee cuts really depends on where your nerve line is located. If you have a high nerve line like me, he can cut a lot! To find out your nerve line, you can request for an X-ray or your jaw area by the home doctor.

However, if you go to clinics that does not care about your nerve line and only your aesthetic appeal, you could potentially end up with a disabled face... tooth death, inability to open your mouth, chronic facial pain. I have befriended people botched from other facial countouring plastic surgeons who suffer from those problems.

thanks for your information. if you face is an oval now do you find problem in sagging or skin excess? because i'm curious about that part too

My face is not sagging but i think it has to do with the fact that i am in my early 20s. However there is no perfect surgery and i made sure i would be okay with doing facial lifting if i do sag.

• 2 weeks later...
however if you got a chance of sagging would the dr lee tell you right? because i'm not 100% sure of v-line because i want to avoid skin sagging and lifting because i live in europe and it would become troublesome going often in korea for lifting

• 2 weeks later...
The v line surgery comes with a risk of sagging no matter who you are. Because you’re cutting away bone structure that supports your skin, muscles and fats on your face.
Even if someone does not sag immediately after surgery, that person would sag earlier/faster than without the surgery!
I know it sounds sad but this is something that comes with the V line surgery. Only go for the surgery if you have accepted the side effects~