BeautyHacker

Minimum age requirement in Korea?

Hi so I’m planning to get cosmetic surgery in Korea during August and I was wondering if ther was an age requirement? I know for facial surgery I’m old enough I think to get it with parental consent (I’m 16) but the thing is I really want the motiva breast implants too at banobagi clinic but idk if they won’t perform the surgery on me if I’m 16, the clinics say they decide based on morality and physically my body has already stopped developing so I don’t think there should be any problem if my parents consent? Does anyone know?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about Korea, but:
Because breasts can continue to develop until a woman reaches her late teens or early 20s, the FDA requires that women be at least 18 years old to get breast augmentation with saline-filled implants and at least 22 years old to receive silicone implants.

I would not trust a doctor that is willing to do breast augmentation on a developing 16 year old, regardless of parental consent.

Also, Motiva is not FDA approved. I know many people here have gotten Motiva and I am all for adults making educated decisions for their own body, but I think there's a greater chance that you will regret your decision at 16.

I wanted a boob job when I was 16 years old too so I totally understand where you're coming from. After 7 years of continuous research and contemplating what size/shape boobs I wanted, I decided to do it. And I'm glad I waited because my idea of beauty changed drastically in that time frame. My clothing preferences and style evolved too. You will thank yourself later if you spend some more time thinking about exactly what you want, and checking if you still want the same thing 6 months later, 1 year later, etc.

The motiva implants are KFDA approved.

I think that depends on what surgery you’re getting, in korea a lot of teens get cosmetic surgery before they’re even 18 like eyelid surgery but I’m specifically asking about breast implants which yes in America the age requirement is 18+ but in Korea it isn’t specified, although I’d assume most patients would be over 18 I’m wondering if they would perform it on me.

I know I won’t regret my decision because I’m doing this for myself, I’m Asian and planning to move to korea in the future anyway so I don’t think my standards would change very much. That part I’m not worried about at all I’ve been doing extensive research about cosmetic surgery in korea for about 2 years now and the only reason I’m asking is because I’m certain about my decision. Tbh I can’t find any reason they’d deny me other than morality. I doubt I’d grow anymore I’m already done with puberty and motiva isn’t fda approved yet in America but it is in Korea or else clinics wouldn’t even be using the implant in the first place.

You are 16. I know you feel like you know everything, I did too, but you really don’t. “I doubt I’d grow anymore” isn’t convincing any plastic surgeon to perform breast augmentation on you. Of course it’s approved in Korea otherwise it wouldn’t be so widely used, but I’m specifically talking about FDA approval which is more widely recognized and harder to obtain.

"I know you feel like you know everything." I know how this seems to you, the only factor being my age you obviously assume and place the same opinions on me as you do your past self. You don’t know anything about me, so please don’t make assumptions about my character or emotional maturity you can’t compare someone to another who happens to be the same age. Let me phrase this better, I’m not physically developing any further. Of course this isn’t going to persuade any doctor but I’m just wondering if any clinics do perform this surgery in this conetext and if anyone could answer the question, if not then I’ll wait until I’m of legal age but I’d advise not assuming things about someone over the Internet for if you met me in person you wouldn’t think the same thing. There are many tests done along with consultation at the clinic to determine if your body is suitable for the procedure. Frankly, I don’t even know why you answered in the first place when you don’t have experience having breast surgery in korea. I appreciate your advice but I wanted my question answered, not being lectured about my age and lack of judgement.

I have made no assumptions here, I am only speaking to how you’ve portrayed yourself. Thinking that what you want at 16 will be what you want later down the road is extremely naive, and you deflecting comments that aren’t validating your risky decision speaks to your lack of maturity. Trust me, meeting you in person would not stop me from advising against getting breast augmentation at 16. When you post something on a discussion forum, please don’t be surprised when you receive relevant comments that you may not want to hear. If you want a direct answer to your question, ask the doctors directly.

Ok so clearly you aren’t getting at what I’m trying to say. I didn’t mean to offend you in any way for you to be defensive, I was just stating that I was looking for an answer from someone who actually had the experience I was looking for, I wasn’t deflecting your advice, I’m very aware that what I’m asking is risky, even more so for my age but I wasn’t looking for validation, just a clear answer on age restrictions. I didn’t state that what I want now would align with my future preferences, just that I wouldn’t regret it. What I was saying about thinking otherwise in person, I was talking about how I look mature for my age so just based on first impressions you wouldn’t think I’m 16 unless I told you (people don’t usually believe I am) but of course if I told you it wouldn’t change your opinion, I was just implying that under different circumstances that perhaps it would have turned out differently. Again, I’m sorry if I’ve offended you in any way, I think it’s just hard for you to understand my intentions since it’s over the Internet and I’m sorry if I appeared to "lack maturity".
Thanks

You keep referring to the fact that she is sixteen. You do realize that being a legal adult has nothing to do with your physical or mental maturity?

I would understand your comments if she had come here and posted something like "Hi I'm sixteen and wanting to get plastic surgery in Korea so that I can look like Taeyeon and become a kpop idol" but she literally just asked for someone to provide a factual answer to a legitimate question.

You also refer to her as a "developing sixteen-year-old". You do realize everyone stops developing at a different age? I personally stopped developing at 14 (confirmed by multiple doctors) but some girls might not stop developing until 18-20. Unless you are a medical professional who has assessed this girl in person I think it's inappropriate for you to be making these bold statements about her emotional or physical development.

THANK YOU. I never meant for this question to cause heated arguments, I just wanted my question answered by someone with experience. Of course when you hear that someone is still a minor you're going to assume they have less experience and lack maturity compared to someone older but I didn't expect someone boldly stating I was naive and immature without even knowing me personally lol. Well, I tried handling her remarks in a calm and logical manner even though I got insulted without even provoking her but I just played it off as her being insecure *shrug*. To be honest though, her statements about me were so prejudiced and crass that I actually found it humorous.

What about the age 24 makes someone instantly eligible for breast implants?

Lol are you serious? Just because 16 year olds *can* be emotionally and physically developed, you think doctors should perform BA on them? The age requirements set by the FDA (18, 22) are of course not magic numbers when a person suddenly becomes mature/developed but it’s a safe threshold where the CHANCE of one being mentally and physically ready to make such a decision is deemed great enough.

Not sure why you think only medical professionals can assess mental maturity... I personally found parts of her responses immature and pointed out specifically where. To clarify, this was only in response to her own claims that she’s mature, it was not meant to imply that she’s not mentally ready for BA right now. That is absolutely up to professinals, so again, I urge her to talk to Banobagi directly to get the most accurate answer.