BeautyHacker

Rhino and Double Eyelid Surgery at UVOM (Detailed)

Hello, PF Plasties!

I just came back to the US from Seoul last week and wanted to share my journey (a term that will be overused in this post haha) on my first rhino and double eyelid surgery experience at UVOM with Dr Lee Jung Soo. It's been a long road and I'll show progress pics as I heal in the coming months. So far, I'm super thrilled with my results and thankful to everyone I've come across here on PF and the KakaoTalk chats (Mar/April 2019, PS 2019 Eyes & Nose).

Background: Aside from my wisdom teeth extraction at 20, I had never undergone any surgery. I wanted to be extremely meticulous in my research and find the right surgeon. Knowledge gives me comfort so I read countless reviews and medical journal articles specifically about Asian rhinoplasty and implants. I've had a complex about my ‘koala’ nose since I was a child and would always squish the tip to make it into my desired shape. I put off plastic surgery for a while because I wanted 1. to save money for it and 2. to wait for my facial features to grow in. As for eyes, I luckily have natural double eyelids (thanks, Mom & Dad) but one is more pronounced than the other. Symmetry was my goal.

Procedures: Rhinoplasty (nose elongation, hump removal, nostril correction for uneven nostrils, lateral osteotomy) and double eyelid surgery

Research: I initially sought out plastic surgeons in NY and LA on RealSelf. I wasn't too impressed with the results on Asian clients and felt they were too conservative for the rather exorbitant cost. Memes aside, Seoul seemed like a much more accessible alternative plus Korea was on the travel bucket list (and I even did a little side trip to Japan!). I booked my trip to Korea in January for April 2nd and decided that 4 months was adequate to research and consult online with clinics. It became something of a pastime for me to the point where my friends would say "Ugh, G's looking at noses again".

Clinics: In total, I consulted about 23 clinic and had a large spreadsheet going. The larger clinics (Banobagi, Grand, BK and ID) were all big contenders early on given their reviews and exposure on shows like Let Me In. However, after digging a little deeper on forums, I decided to go with smaller clinics. Clunky response times from some of the other clinics turned me off, along with blacklists, subpar results and the list gradually became smaller.

The day I landed, I ended up meeting with View, Faceline and UVOM. Wannabe was also a contender but I had a scheduling conflict. The day I landed, I ended up meeting with View, Faceline and UVOM f2f. View was at the top of my list to the point where I almost put a deposit down until I saw them f2f. They charged an exorbitant amount (2x more than the online consultation) and I felt super rushed. I felt like most of these large clinics had factory vibes and would push unwanted procedures on me (ex. midface augmentation for my 'protruding mouth').

Why UVOM: UVOM didn't come on my radar until about a week before I left on my trip and I'm glad it did. A few of their patients had great results and posted them on KKT chats. The results looked amazing but not fake and I liked how they had more Korean patients than foreigners. UVOM is meticulously detailed, both in their online consults and in person. The f2f consultation was lengthy (2 hours) but I felt like this was necessary. The nerd in me loved hearing about what would be done to the point where it felt like an anatomy lesson. Eunice and Choi (the consultant and English translator) were really warm and detailed in their answers to my questions (ex. silicone vs goretex). I also liked how even though I don't speak Korean, Eunice would look me in the eye when explaining vs looking at Choi all the time which would've made me feel like a subject. Then I met with the doctors. Dr Kang demonstrated different creases and I eventually picked a tapered one (the parallel option would've looked too Caucasian). I asked him about epi and he said my inner corners were too open and it wouldn't look natural on me. For rhino, Dr Lee pointed out things that other surgeons missed (ex. deviated septum, uneven nostrils). He also had a good bedside manner and was realistic about what he could do with my short nose and thin skin. He would make the angle between my lips and the tip of my nose within the 90-105 degree range since it was much more obtuse. I chose UVOM ultimately because I liked their aesthetic, attention to detail, Dr Lee and that they didn’t pressure me to have unnecessary surgeries. I've read countless times that I should go with a clinic that I vibed well with f2f and UVOM was that clinic. My surgery was scheduled for the next day after I paid my deposit.

Materials/Methods: PCL and septal cartilage for tip, ePTFE for bridge. I went with non-incisional double eyelid surgery since I wanted minimal scarring.

Right after the consultation, I had dinner with a group of girls who I affectionately dubbed the 'Plastic Fantastics' from a KKT chat. We were all set to have surgery within the next 2 days and discussed what led us to this point. After dinner, we stopped by a grocery store to grab food for the next few days, which I definitely recommend because the swelling and anesthesia are no joke.

Surgery: After fasting for 6+ hours, I went to UVOM in the morning. There were a few patients there and I filled out more paperwork. They did a CT scan and showed the deviated septum and how one side was a bit larger than the other. I met with Drs Lee and Kang one last time to go over the surgery and any last minute concerns. There was a bit of a delay to the start of my surgery so I waited in the recovery room in a heated bed until the surgeons were ready.

I put on the gown and took a few more last looks at le nose. Choi remarked on how calm I was before the surgery. Mental fortitude is key! I didn’t get nervous until the nurse arranged the scalpel and other tools on the surgical tray. I thought, “Oh. Those are going inside me.” Choi could sense my nervousness and explained what the nurse was doing. I took a few deep breaths before the anesthesia sunk in. I had a psychedelic dream about going through tunnels and felt some light tugging towards the end but no pain. Dr Lee said he was finished and I groggily woke up. Choi and one of the nurses helped me get to the recovery room. I had a painful sore throat from the anesthesia and Choi gave me some water while I drifted in and out of sleep. By that time, it was almost 11pm at night and Choi stayed with me (so thankful). I threw up bile in the bathroom from the anesthesia which was super unpleasant. Choi gave me the meds and was nice enough to get me a taxi and translated my hotel address to the driver. That night, I slept upright and didn’t get the best quality of sleep.

Day 1 Post Op: I felt super groggy and the painful sore throat was still there. The nose packing and drip pad meant I would be a mouth breather for the next few days. Excellent. I ate some breakfast downstairs and put on my disguise for the next few days: a baseball cap and black dust mask (my sister said I looked like a Ninja Turtle villain). I went back to UVOM for my deswelling treatment (light therapy) and a check up with Dr Lee. He said the surgery was very long (about 6 hours) and I bled a lot, probably due to my thin skin. He changed my dressings and I finally saw a glimpse of my new nose!

Despite all the swelling, my nose looked super snatched! The hump was gone and I finally had a tip! There was an incision on my columella covered by bandages.

On Days 2, 5 and 11, I went back for deswelling treatments and check ups. On Day 2, the awful nose packing was taken out. It was the strangest feeling ever, like wet boogers getting taken out. The nurse was a bit rough but super efficient. On Day 2 I started taking After Plus +, a combo of bromelain vitamins, arnica cream and ampoules for deswelling and it was worth every penny!

On Day 5, the cast finally came off and the stitches on my columella were removed. It felt a bit weird and the area was a bit dry. The stitches were covered by a bandage so it was difficult to apply the ointment there. The result was quite natural on the frontal view but my nose looked so great from the side (no more Koala nose)! Dr Lee did a great job with the nasal base added a good amount of height. I selfied the crap out of my nose on the bus ride to lunch. My eyes had also swelled down considerably and I loved how even they looked. I used Kristen Kreuk as my inspiration and love the interpretation.

Dr Lee was at a conference so my next appt wasn’t until Day 11 post op, when the stitches inside my nose were removed. I was given a plush toy to hold on to while the remaining stitches were removed. It was a bit dry but the nurse was able to pull them out. After, Dr Lee came by and looked at how it was healing. The scar on my columella was barely visible and the bruises were virtually gone. I thanked him for doing such a great job on my nose and for creating such a harmonious balance in my features.

Initially, I was nervous about doing plastic surgery abroad but my experience at UVOM really put me at ease. Dr Lee is an artist and sculpted a beautiful nose out of the short blunt one I had. The improved crease made my eyes look larger and somehow lifted my eyelashes on my left eye (the one with a smaller crease). UVOM may not give you packs of pumpkin juice or wash your hair on their salon floor, but they deliver beautiful results and have a minute attention to detail. I would definitely recommend UVOM for these procedures and look forward to the continuous deswelling of my nose.

I’ll keep you guys updated on my progress!

Here are some before and after pics:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow,your nose looks amazing:smile:)

Wow, are your lips natural? They are beautiful!
Wow

Haha thanks! I got 1cc of Juvederm in my lips after and some cheek filler at toxnfill.

My face got a bit swollen on the 14hr flight back home. Fillers + long haul flights aren’t the greatest combo haha

Unfortunately, I'm not going until December. I'm actually dreading my trip because I know it will be during peak season for all clinics and it will be snowing, too.

Aww but Korea looks beautiful in the winter. It'll be fun once you get there!

Thank you for your review. We really appreciate it. Did the doctor correct the nostril unevenness? Did he have to cut the alar or the floor of the nostril base (sill)? Your alar looked good before and there is probably no flare, so you probably didn’t really need to cut the alar.

The base of my alar gives me a triangle-ish nostril from frontal view and I want to make the alar look more oval but it doesn’t seem like a good idea to cut my alar since I don’t have a flare. So I’m thinking maybe the doctor can cut the base of my nostril instead.

Wow, you look amazing L.

I think it was the way it was stretched. He didn't cut my alars. They look more even on the frontal view. My nasal base looks way better than before.