BeautyHacker

How can I make my calves smaller?

Hi all,

i just check again about this Partial Neurectomy and it says below :

Calf reduction surgery which explore and cut off the nerve that control the MG (Medial Gastrocnemius) to induce the atrophy of medial gastrocnemius muscle, and thus reduce calf size. The circumference of the calf is reduced approximately 1 to 3.5 cm.
The advantage of this method:
  • The procedure is quick, simple and less invasive
  • Postoperative recovery time is short
The disadvantage of this method:
  • The location and calf size reduction is unpredictable
  • The risk of other nerves (LG or Sol) injury is high and can resulting in gait disturbance
  • Remained or recurred calf muscle hypertrophy
And finally, in order to compensate the lost function of medical gastrocnemius muscle, the lateral gastrocnemius and soleus muscle can become hypertrophy and cause bowing affect or uneven contour to the calf.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh honey you are so sweet!!!

yes, these are my natural calves. I had never thought of this surgery before, but I see all these amazing post op calves and I'm getting jealous :smile:

are there any exercises or less invasive methods perhaps? I just want a slight improvement!!! Maybe 32cm would be super cool but I'd be happy even with 32.5-33

thanks!!!

Hi Mininana

Really! Your calves need no surgery at all! I think its better that you dont go thru such a traumatic surgery just to lose 1 cm because your calves look nice! I think i would "kill" for such calves! Lol. :P

Cos if you read thru some of the posts, some of the people who went thru the calf reduction surgery and they achieved around 33cm or so n they are very happy with it. Im not even sure if i would be able to achieve 33.5cm calves after the surgery.

So keep those nice calves of yours n no surgery please! hahaha :P

aw!!! Thank you sweetie!! I'm going to try exercises in that case.
Hoping they do improve a little, I always envied those straight no muscle calves :biggrin:

It's been 3 weeks post op and I'm still swollen, but I definitely see a difference. I wore skinny jeans for the first time in my life this weekend over my stockings and very happy with how they look. I'm just worried about the scaring that's all. And I feel like my left leg is bigger than right which could be because of aspirations done to the left leg.
I went alone but a friend took care of me as it would be a bit hard to dress your own wounds everyday and carrying your luggage on the first week. I rented a room 15 mins cab ride to centre for $35/night. I've got my boobs done before and it was nothing compared to this recovery process. I guess it's more mentally disturbing, and you need to be very tough the first week post op. that or maybe I'm a just a lil bit of a wuss lol

I got mine done in Beijing with a Dr. Chen, who's affiliated with Peking University 3rd hospital i believe. It cost 31,000 RMB, so around $5000 USD (pretty expensive if you ask me). My measurements were around 39 for both leg, so we're in a similar boat. I was told that the more muscle you had to begin with, the more change you should expect.

I'm much better now. i went out on the second day after the surgery and walking a short distance to the grocery store was torture, so there's definitely down time. third day was slightly better and i went out shopping, but still very tiring and the limp was very noticeable. walking up and down stairs was really hard and lots of people stared. yesterday was even better than 3rd day but i was still limping. today, the limp is less noticeable.

the scar is about 2 cm. i'm not too worried, because i can just use makeup to cover it up until it fades.

Hi Princess 99998

thanks for sharing your experiences and appreciate it because seems like you are the first one i have read on this forum who went for partial neurectomy.

Can you provide the website of Dr Chen and did you ask him if the muscles would come back or there may be bowing of the calves etc in time to come? Did he say how many percentage of his patients experience the muscles coming back? because i read online n it says one fo the cons is there is a chance it may while for partial resection, there would not be. I have seen pictures of the bowing or the atrophy of the calves on the websites of Dr Park n Dr Jong n they look awful n require another surgery.

From what you describe i probably would prefer the downtime for neurectomy as i dont have many days to spare to stay for around 2 weeks in Korea or Taiwan. However i do not want to go thru any revision as calf reduction surgery seems like a very major n traumatic surgery as it is.

How many days did you say in China for the total surgery and did you have to visit Dr Chen a few times? How long did he say it would take you to recover before you can walk properly and also when could you see the results? Did he perform the operation in a hospital or in his clinic and was it high tech or run-down? Also did he give you GA or epidural via the spine?

So sorry for the many questions but im keen to explore this alternative. :P

Many thanks for your help!

Hello everyone,

I am pretty new in this forum and so glad to find you guys all experienced in calf reduction;)
I am also interested in doing this surgery but still need more info!
My most scaring mentality: Did anybody have trouble during the flight time from Seoul to her home country?:cool: Coz I live in Montreal and the flight duration from Seoul to Montreal is more than 14 hours!!:nogood:

Hi marshmallow,

I know that it is a long time passed from your surgery and maybe you don't check this forum anymore but I wanna try my chance. I just wanna confirm if every thing goes well with your calves. Do you have any problem with them. Do you mind if you send me some before and after pics? Although I don't have a full account yet!

Hi luvlie21,

I found that you and marshmallow were used to be active in this forum and among those who have done calf reduction not a very very long time before.
I wanna ask the same questions from you that I asked from marshmallow.
Everything is ok with your calves?
Are you happy with the results in terms of the shape and size?
Would you send me some pics?
I hope that at least one of you guys see my posts! I am gonna do this surgery but still need time to get use to this mentality!

Hello darlene27,

I am also thinking about doing this surgery but not decided yet.

According to my understanding from the posts in this forum, the girls who have done this say that there is no problem with some activities such as running, aerobics and...but if you are a professional athlete, it is not recommended nor by these girls neither by Dr.Park. But I don't really know if it is because of not making the calves bigger again or because you won't be able to do a lot feeling weak in your legs! But I found the second reason more probable!

Anyway, let's see their answers to your question. :cool:

Hi Princess 99998

thanks for sharing your experiences and appreciate it because seems like you are the first one i have read on this forum who went for partial neurectomy.

Can you provide the website of Dr Chen and did you ask him if the muscles would come back or there may be bowing of the calves etc in time to come? Did he say how many percentage of his patients experience the muscles coming back? because i read online n it says one fo the cons is there is a chance it may while for partial resection, there would not be. I have seen pictures of the bowing or the atrophy of the calves on the websites of Dr Park n Dr Jong n they look awful n require another surgery.

From what you describe i probably would prefer the downtime for neurectomy as i dont have many days to spare to stay for around 2 weeks in Korea or Taiwan. However i do not want to go thru any revision as calf reduction surgery seems like a very major n traumatic surgery as it is.

How many days did you say in China for the total surgery and did you have to visit Dr Chen a few times? How long did he say it would take you to recover before you can walk properly and also when could you see the results? Did he perform the operation in a hospital or in his clinic and was it high tech or run-down? Also did he give you GA or epidural via the spine?

So sorry for the many questions but im keen to explore this alternative. :P

Many thanks for your help!

The fact is by some kinds of work out, they even get more bulky. Jumping, running fast, work out with weights, and spinning fast make your calves work more and build more muscles.
However, Pilates is recommended to make the muscles of calves smaller but for me, it is not intuitive at all how come! Muscle in general shrinks if you loose more protein that you take from food. Or when it gets paralyzed and doesn't work any more. But how Pilates can make them smaller is a big question in my mind. I can't deny it though! . .