BeautyHacker

How can I make my calves smaller?

Day1 - Surgery Day

Reached the clinic at 9.40am today , and my surgery is scheduled at 10am.

After changing into the hospital gown and a final consultation with Dr Park, its time to prep for the surgery. The nurse led me to a cozy room, with 2 hospital bed and inserted the IV line onto my left wrist area. I lied on the comfy bed with the IV drip for roughly 30-40 mins, before walking into the surgery room. The surgery room was beautiful, with huge glass window and sparking white walls. The nurses helped me into a fatal position, before the friendly anaesthesiology inject me from my lower back. The injection was quick and it left a warm feeling in the injected area after the injection. I was then helped onto my back, where the 2 nurses clean and sterile my entire leg and feet. Word of warning to all the ladies who are planning to undergo this surgery, wear appropriate undergarments, because everyone in the room will see your underwear ! During this cleaning and sterilising procedure, my legs were starting to feel numb, which was great. I was then instructed to lay face down, and the nurse put a towel over my face. I soon fell asleep, but unfortunately woke up before the surgery ended. I could feel the doctor working on my right leg, but rest assured, you will not feel any pain. It was just a weird sensation. After Dr Park finished the surgery, he wrapped both my legs and the nurses roll me into the ward. At this time, I could feel that my right leg was less numb then my left, and there was a dull ache in my calves. It felt like I have ran 20 kilometres straight. The feeling was irritating but tolerable. After resting a while, one of the nurse asked me how I feeling and wanted me to walk to the toilet to pee before she was able to give me anything to drink. I was anticipating a sharp pain when I place my feet on the floor to stand, but there was none. However, i felt dizzy because of the general anaesthesia, and pain quickly shot up after a few steps, forcing me stop and rest on the sofa outside the toilet. The nurse gave me a shot of pain killer through the IV, and gave me 10mins to rest before we proceed back to walking to the toilet. In total, I was given 3 pain killer shots and was made to walk out from the ward to the reception desk 2 times. After a while, I could walk on my own without the nurse assistance, but I was gripping and holding on to the IV line stand for support while I walk. In the afternoon, I was discharged after given my meds and a check by Dr Park.

Right now, the right leg felt swollen and numb when I lay on the bed for too long, but there isn’t any pain right at this moment. I will continue to update my journey tomorrow, after my first follow-up tomorrow morning.

-Julia A

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Day 21.5 & 22 - Post-op, visit to the gym
That night, I slept over boyfriend's place. I reflect again on my recovery (that week and overall) and realize how sometimes day-to-day I don't feel any real quantifiable progress, but I have been sleeping over my bf's once a week since returning; there is definitely a clear and semi-drastic difference in how I am and how I feel each time. After upping my stretch game for five days during the work week, my limp has now gone down to only 30%. I don't need to hide under leggings and socks now because the bruises have faded and he's used to the bandages by now. Mornings still catch me off guard but everything else is so managable.
Next morning I return to the gym but knew I will only really stretch. My rubber shoes can fit me now but I can't tie the laces lol. I do modified stretching, bodyweight squats and core stuff for maybe 45mins then leave. Dr. Park's official advice is to resume exercise at 6 weeks, but I plan on using gym equipment for hard stretches every morning as soon as my shoes fit more comfortably.

Day 23 - Post-op
Not much to report that day except I was walking so much quicker in my platform shoes. I also rode the train to boyfriend, the first time since day 10 and it was so different lol. I did it alone, at a normal person's pace. Progress! No pain, just tightness. I finally get to say that lol some people have been reporting that since day 1 and I just can't imagine.

Day 24 & 25 - Post-op
I managed a routine now: whenever I rebandage after I shower, I first massage with argan oil. I've been watching out for any rippling as a sign that I need to try harder to aspirate but there is none so far. I am dreading trying again just because the poking is not pleasant. I don't mind needles in any other context but with aspirating, the having to poke in and out repeatedly to find right spot is horrible. Anyway, while I do look forward to going bandage-free, right now it feels uncomfortable NOT to be compressed. It feels like there is a tight lump floating in my calves and I instantly feel better when I rebandage. In about a month, summer will arrive. I don't think I'm ready to expose them naked, but I feel much better that my calves are not enormous anymore. I don't mind hiding behind pants, I've been doing that for years and years now lol. I don't get cramps anymore, and my heels don't dig into shoes anymore. Going downstairs improves incrementally. Rubber shoes now fit although the ankles are tight and can rub shoe.
I will reduce updates for now from daily to weekly but will be happy to respond to any questions!

Day2 - first night after surgery and first day post op

Last night after the surgery in the afternoon, I started experiencing a burning, needle pricking experience in my right leg. The intensity of the pain intensified throughout the night and make it difficult to get much sleep. I tried elevating my legs when I am in bed, but this only seem to worsen the swollen feeling in my feet, weird. After many attempts in trying to find a better position to sleep in, I have decided that sitting at the edge of my bed, with my feet touching the floors, while I lay sideways on the bed, is the only acceptable position that I was able to fall asleep in. But this position contributed to a ever more swollen feet that is so tight and painful the next morning. As amici mentioned in her post-op journey, there is really no way to get much sleep at all. Waking up every 2 hours and feeling impossible to fall asleep again afterwards. I took one of the pain killer med that Dr Park gave me so to cope with the burning sensation, but the pain still persist on.

when I woke up the next day, i was expecting excruciating pain from my legs, But there was none. The burning sensation on my right leg was gone, and my left leg feels perfectly normal. The only uncomfortableness that i felt was due to the tight wrapping, my heavily swollen feet and a deep soreness in the calves when I stand and walk. At this time, there is a persistent dull headache that won't go away, even with the head massage that my aunt gave me. I was also developing a fever and my spirits was just so down that it was frightening.

We had to travel down to Dr Park clinic for my first post op consultation in the afternoon. Where the gloomy Seoul weather, heavy downpour, crazy Seoul traffic, fever and most importantly my headache, makes this 15mins car ride felt like an eternity. I honestly thought that I was dying and my aunt was reallyq nervous and kept massaging my hands and head.

After arriving at the clinic, the pretty nurse unwrap the thick wrapping and replace it with a tight bandage. Dr Park gave me pills for the fever and my headache and explained to me that I should be lying down more. After I reached home, I googled and found that the headache was caused by the regional anaesthetic in the spinal cord which led to some fluid leaking. When standing or sitting down, this leaking will cause pressure and lead to my headache.

Called my parents and boyfriend that night and it really help improve my spirits. Started on the stretching exercise as instructed by Dr Park, and which left me panting and worsening my headache.

Hope everything will turn for a better tomorrow

- Julia

Day 3
Had a restful and long sleep last night. The weather here in Seoul is still gloomy and has been raining pretty much the entire day, much like how I am feeling inside. My headache is still here and doesn't seem to be going away any time sooner. Causing my poor appetitide and lousy mood.

On a more positive note, I have been doing the calf stretching exercise regularly and my walking really did improve, which is great. I have yet to venture out of the airbnb apartment yet, but plan to do so soon. Maybe it will help improve my mood.

Right now, there is no pain from my calves or my swollen feet. I just wish that this damn headache will go away.

- Julia

Hey Julia,

Your results look dramatic indeed and very happy for you that it is!

Hope your recovery journey is well as it could be. I am day 9 now post op and it gets better every day. Some days it felt like it got worse over this time but mood and mentality are really big determining factors on these for me.

Good luck!

Day 4

Looking back at what happened yesterday ( currently writing this in Day 5), I could honestly say that Day 4 was the worst I have felt in these short 4 days. I woke up feeling alright after a long sleep, and gave my mum a call to report my progress. The frequent stretching from Day3 has really paid off and I was able to stretch easier and walk better when I woke up, YAY!. Everything was as per usual until lunch. Where I have decided to take a small walk in the neighbourhood with my aunt, so to get some fresh air. Prior to leaving the house, I asked my aunt to get me a big umbrella to use as a cane, as Amici mentioned that it was helpful. So armed with the big umbrella on my right hand and my aunt holding me steady on the left, I walked out of the airbnb apartment with confidence and excitement. Maybe it was my overconfidence in my walking ability or that I wasn't dressed warm enough for the windy weather, I soon felt tired after 10mins of walking and we had to turn back to the house ( which is another 10 mins of walk) . I could feel my headache and nausea building up around then, my legs were also very sore and felt much like the aftermath of an intensity gymming session. After I reached home, I was immediately on bed rest for the rest of the day, but that did not help how sick and nausea I felt.
During my call with my boyfriend that night, I had to suppress my tears because I was afraid that he could hear me cry when I hear his voice. I didn't dare call my parents that night, in fear of making them more worried than they already are. After the call, I have decided to stick a finger down my throat and make myself puke. It worked and I vomited 3 times before I could stop. Well, this really helped stop the nauseaness that I was feeling since afternoon. I am not proud of having to force myself to throw up, but I was glad I did.

Mistakes that I have made today was to let my confidence get over my head and over-exerting myself too much too soon. Most importantly, dress warmly to protect yourself against the wind.

I have a second post op check up with Dr. PARK tomorrow ( Saturday ), and I am planning to layer a jumper over my tee-shirt and wear my thick jacket over them, coupled with 2 pairs of socks ! All in this 16 degree and windy Seoul temperature. :smile::smile::smile:

Sorry, I didn't managed to take any clear picture today, Will do so in tomorrow's update

- Julia

P.s Thank you princessAF and Dianna for your kind words and messages. I appreciate all your encouragement and kind words :smile:

Day 5

Today was just fantastic ! After having such a difficult time yesterday, my condition has finally taken a turn for a better today. My headache has subsided by 99% !!! I am so glad that it is gone, after being tormented by it for 3 days straight. The past 3 days were so unbearable and I could only eat standing up, or my headache will go out of control every time i sit and there goes all my appetitide. I am so relief that it's gone.

Went for my second post op check up today. The nurse was pleased with my stretching and taught me how to up my stretching game. The bruising on my right calf has spreaded to my right thigh the day before, and made my right thigh bigger. Dr Park and the nurse assured me that this is normal, which is great to hear. We took the train back to the apartment instead of taking the cab, and it was the longest 30mins walk I have ever taken. Throughout the journey, I was worried that my headache will come back and I will revert back to the sick and nausea condition like yesterday. Thank God, apart from being worn out from the walking and soreness in my calves, there was no other pain and discomforts.

Today afternoon, i took a look at the backview of my calves for the first time post op, and I was AMAZED and excited at how much smaller my calves look from the back. ( I will insert pictures of my before and a picture I took today)

This is the first good day after the surgery. Hopefully tomorrow will be great too !

- Julia

Day 6

It was difficult to stand today, where pain shoots up from the lower thigh of my right leg, every time i stand after lying/sitting for too long. I was also unable to keep my right leg ( The problematic leg ) straight when i stand, where my right knee will also bulge out in comparison to my left knee. The pain feels as if i am splitting apart 2 tightly wound muscle, but the pain only lingers for maybe 10 seconds before dying down and my body got used to the motion of standing up. This caused me to think and look back at my sleeping/ resting/ sitting position, where i will always bend my legs inwards every time. This habit of not keeping my legs straight, probably caused the pain when i stand. As my muscles are kept in a position that are bend for a long while before i straighten them when standing. After this realization and testing the theory out, i found out that the awful pain was greatly alleviated. Now i sleep, lay in bed, even sit, with my legs kept as straight as possible and never bending them.

The bruises that spread from my calves to my thighs are really painful too. I tried applying ice pack on them but it only intensified the pain afterwards. I am really glad that i have my big heating pad with me, which i place on my bed. Really helps a lot.

- Julia

Dear @Julia A it's so amazing how much of our experiences are the same. Maybe except the calf pain (which I had a substantial amount of even upon returning). But yes, the headache etc etc. Your results are so dramatic I'm so over the moon happy for you! Keep updating. And keep your spirits high. Remember how long you wanted this, and now it's yours, you just need to ride this recovery out with flying colors.

Day 7

Thank you amici ! I have read through your updates many times and they are really helpful in reassuring me and inspiring me to push forward with my own recovery !

Amici you are right, stepping out of the house to get some fresh air and exercise is really important. If i lay in bed the whole day and only stand up and walk when i need to do my stretching or to use the washroom, my calves feel tighter during the stretching and there is more pain. However, if i step out of the house to take a short walk around the neighbourhood and do my stretching afterwards, it is easier and my legs feel lighter.

Walking up any slope, even the gentle ones, is difficult and tiring. A walk up a small slope, which took me 1 minute before the surgery, now takes 5 minute. Leaving me lightly sweating and out of breath. But any form of walking is welcomed, just dont over it.

My thighs are starting to get smaller and less swollen which is great !
I need to clarify that the reason why my left calf looks smaller, straighter and less problematic than my right, is because Dr Park took out more from the right. As my right calf was originally bulkier and more muscular than the left. Hence there are more swelling, bruises and pain from my right.

- julia

Day 8 and 9

Had my first aspiration today and took out more in the left than the right. I had the worst cramp ever in my left ankle/ heel region. The pain felt like a burning sensation, combined with a stabbing pain that just keep coming at you without giving u any time to pace out the pain. All i could do was take the pain killer that Dr Park gave after the surgery, curled up in bed and pray that the pain will go away. I couldnt stop my tears from flowing and i felt so vulnerable and helpless at that moment..
After a while, i have decided that laying in bed wasnt going to help with pain. So i struggled to get out of bed and walked around the apartment slowly with my aunt's help and the umbrella. The effect of the pain killer slowly kicked in , and i applied an ice pack onto the left heel area to help numb the pain.

For the first time, I had an emotional talk with aunt in regards to why i decided to undergo such surgery, to voluntarily pay money to have someone cut out 70% of my calves muscle. I explained to her that i was bullied when i was younger because of my calves, how i felt restricted by them in terms of what i can wear, and how i was afriad to go on dates with guys just because i was worry that they will see my calves. I told her that i was sick of looking down at my legs and seeing how muscular they are, and how bothered i was with how my calf always touches each other without me even putting my feet together. Piecing outfits together was always an impossible task, because it is difficult to find an outfit where my calves doesnt look prominent and big. I am sick of all these, and i wanted a change.

On the other hand, i see some girls in this forum, who posted pictures of their calves. Their calves look perfectly fine and not bulky at all. Maybe they arent perfectly straight, or slim, but seriously i dont see any problem with many of them..

The only reason why I am writing my post op journey in this forum, is to hopefully encourage and give some hope to girls who REALLY have bulky, big and muscular calves like me. I am not promoting this surgery to people who really dont need it, and already have nice calves to begin with. This surgery has undeniably taken a huge toll on my physical and most importantly my mental health. It shouldnt be taken lightly, and the price which you have to pay is heavy and long term. For those who are still on the fence about this surgery, if you really have big and muscular calves and have been troubled by it for a very very long time, i encourage you to get through with this surgery. The pain and hardship that you will have to go through, is undeniable. But you will finally be able to have calves that are normal and non-muscular. Finally for the first time in my life, i have a CALVES GAP when i put my feet together. My legs also seem longer and no longer stubby looking.

For those who only seek to achieve a small change, and dont have much problem with their calves to begin first, i strongly urge you to think twice before considering such surgery. Your calves might not even be muscular, hence even after all the pain and money spent in getting this surgery, the changes might not be satisfying and big.

- Julia

UMMARIZING - post op to day 9

1. Really taken aback by how serious the swelling of my feet can get. Swollen feet makes walking slightly difficult, they are painful sometimes and please prepare shoes that are at least 2 size bigger. Elevate your legs if possible, especially just after the surgery. Avoid eating too much salt and drink plenty of water ( fluids also help with the post anaethesia headache ). It is painful when my feet swell so much, to the extend that they feel like they are going to rupture and burst anytime. PAINFUL.
2. Bruising. Bruises can spread from the calves to the knee and thigh areas. Dont be alarmed. For the most part, the bruises are generally harmless and non-painful. They look worst than they actually feel. However, because there will be substantial bruising at the lower thigh region, that area could get a little tender and sore when u sit/ lay in bed, and press against them. There was also one night where the bruises on my inner thighs got really painful, making it difficult to get comfortable in bed and sleep. Bring a reusable ice pack/gel and a heating pad to help with the pain and bruises

3. Cramps. Usally they happen in the morning, when i just woke up. I am not sure whether they are acutal full-blown cramps, but my calves felt in pain when i try to stand. To handle this problem, i will try to stand against the wall for support, and keep my feet together while i stretch upwards. After the pain subsided, and i am able to keep my legs and knees straight, i will proceed to the calf stretching exercise. Make sure to buy banana from the local korean convenient store, and eat one daily.

4. Post-anaethesia headache. This is the source of 90% of my discomfort and pain for the first 3 days after surgery. Try to get rest in bed, and avoid sitting as best as you can. Sitting will only aggrevate the headache. Drink plenty of water and caffeine, and pray to God. The headache will probably be gone spontaneously within the week. I will reccomend eating while standing/ walking around the house, and avoid eating while sitting. As you will possibly lose all appetitide when the headache kicks in from sitting. Try to hold back on the painkiller, as you already have to take alot of pills after the surgery. Instead, try lying down and rest in bed. Where for most of the time, the headache will magically disappear when you do so.

5. Walking. Before coming to korea, i was convinced that i will be crippled and unable to walk at all after the surgery. To my pleasant surprise, i was able to slowly hobble around. But support is still needed and important, especially for the first 2 days. Personally, i dont experience pain when i walk, unless my ankles or heels are acting up. However, i feel that my legs are heavier than they used to be, and i definitely walk much much slower. I have asked Dr Park how much walking i should be doing in my current recovery stage, and he told me that it is best to keep the walking below an hour, so to avoid getting the feet more swollen. The sole of my feet hurts too if i walk/ stand too long, without sitting down or resting. Walking up slopes is also much more difficult now, so avoid renting a place in seoul where you will need to climb a lot of stairs or slope to get to your place.

6. How satisfied i feel after the surgery. I am amazed by the change in the shape of my calves. As you might have seen in my before pic, where my calves muscles are big and bulging at the upper calves region. Now i have CALVES GAP even when i put my feet together. The backview of my calves also looks straighter and much slimmer. As for measurements wise, i am unsure and didnt bother with it, shape is more important ! My legs seem longer now and less stubby. In addition, my body figure looks more proportional, balanced and improved.

-Julia

Day 12

My day did not start off well. A burning sensation at the surface of my right calf woke me from my sleep. The pain eventually went away after i unwrapped my right bandage and allow the tender and irritated skin to "breathe" for a while. The second time i woke up in the middle of the night, was because of the pressure building up in my heavily swollen left feet. I unwrapped and re-adjusted my left bandage, and the pain in my left feet soon felt better.

Went for a check up in Dr Park clinic in the afternoon. He checked my stretching and told me that my stretching has improved ! Yay ! He also commented that i was walking better too. All thanks to my aunt, who is contantly monitoring how i walk and always reminding me not to drag my weaker feet and to walk properly with equal weight place on both feet.

After the quick check up, we went down to gangnam for some quick shopping. Its great to be able to walk around and shop, after being kept at home for the past 11 days. People will stare, just ignore them. Been out and about from noon till 5pm now. My legs and feet feel sore and heavy, but they did better than i expected. Throughout this time, i sneaked in many stretches in the train station, washroom and random places, and also tried to sit and rest when i have the chance.

This picture was taken when i was shopping for a new slipper. My feet are so swollen than i have trouble fitting in a size 39 shoes, when my original shoe size was 35.5 !

- julia

Day 13
Went to gangnam in the afternoon for around 3 hours today. My legs felt tired at the end of my trip, but i can definitely see inprovement in my walking ability, speed and endurance. This is a huge progress as compared to when i first stepped out of the airbnb for a short walk during day4, and feeling lethargic and nausea after 20mins of walking.

The swelling at the side of my thighs also went down quite a bit these 2 days! Yay to skinnier leg :smile::smile:

Yes, my feet ( in particular my left feet ) is still heavily swollen, and red from all my scratching. Sometimes, after i do my bandage and wrapping them as tight as i can, my feet will feel pain when its too tight. If the pain doesnt go away after a while, i will loosen the bandage a little.

My best friend and her bf are arriving in seoul tomorrow for the following weeks. So excited to do all the sightseeing and shopping ( i will try my best to walk and keep up ) with them. I have been walking much much more these 2 days. It has really put me in a good mood and helped with my walking.

( One of the pic is me wearing a knee high socks over my bandage. Hides my swollen swollen ugly feet. )
- Julia

Day 20

This week, i have been shopping and walking alot. For the first 2 weeks post op, i adhered strictly to dr park's order of not over walking, and keeping the walking to within 1 hour. Now, in my third week of post op, i feel like i am in really good shape. My walking speed has now reached around 70% of my pre op speed. After a whole afternoon of shopping along the streets of seoul, i was able to last a few hours when i do my stretches in the toilet as frequent as i can and sit to rest when i see a chair. Frequent tea break in the many coffee shops here also helps. After a day of shopping, my legs did not act up, or feel super sore. However, there will be tiny pinching sensation at my heels if i walk too much. My legs also feel heavier and my walking speed will start going down after walking for too long. Going up stairs is easier than going down, but they no longer trouble me as much.

The itching problem in my swollen feet and under my bandages, have subsided. My feet is still very swollen and thick. A tip on preparing footwear for the post op, is to buy shoes with thick and cushiony base, that is not too heavy and not too restricting on the thickness of your feet. Trust me, your feet will become very thick and swollen after the surgery. Footwear is really very important, a good and comfortable shoes give me at least an extra 45mins to 1 hours of walking before my legs start feeling tired. Another thing about footwear is that i have started wearing flats, slippers straight after my surgery, instead of wedges. Walking on wedges is easier i feel, but i get tired faster as compared to flats. I have wore wedges out one day, and when i do my stretches outside, my calves did not feel as stretched. My heels hurt more from wearing the wedges too, but that is probably because i underestimated the degree of post op swelling and the wedges i bought is not big enough.

Bruises wise, there are only some left at the inner sides of my thighs and my knees. But the back of my knee and lower thigh area is still a little dark. My friend told me that my surgical scars are not obvious, especially as the back areas are still a lil dark. I am not very bothered with my scars honestly.

From the picture collage, you can see how the swelling slowly went down in my thighs and calves :smile: i really do think walking around more helps with my swelling.

- julia