BeautyHacker

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol jas3n... if after having nose surgery makes you "worse" because you're more self-confident, feel/are prettier/more handsome, have a better social life, etc. then slapped the handcuffs on me, too, because I am just as guilty!:shame:

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the discussion about goretex vs silicone. I found the website of Dr. Samuel Lam, a US based doc who wrote a textbook about surgery on the Asian face, studied in Korea, and also has videos discussing asian rhinoplasty: YouTube - PLASTIC SURGERY: Asian Rhinoplasty Tutorial

He prefers gore-tex for the reasons already stated. Also, he says that with silicone, there is a risk of it slipping downwards due to weight, and it also looks transparent in the light!

In the video, Dr. Lam also had some interesting things to say about alar base (nostril) reduction. He says that the scar tends to last longer than the middle scar from open rhinoplasty alone. Also, to avoid that pinched look that XiaXue had from Dr. Martin in SG, you have to use a "Sheen flap" so that the vestibular tissue (tissue of inner nostril) is preserved. Otherwise, you get that weird cutoff look that Michael Jackson has.

Anyway, I think I've decided to go with Dr. Charles Lee in Beverly Hills, simply bc he has so many Asian patients. I have to ask him about using Gore-tex though. Also, I am considering Dr. Lam, but will have to cough up a $75 consultation fee. Anyway, I'll be doing surgery in March, so I'll let you guys know how it goes....!

Wgirl99, I'm in CA, so I was also considering Dr. Lee, but I have a couple concerns about him. Although he does specialize in Asians, he definitely prefers silicone over goretex (see his FAQs), so I'm not sure how much experience he has with the latter. I also think he uses L-shape implants instead of I-shape. I'm not really sure the difference between the two, but both Dr. Jung and Dr. Kim warn against L-shape implants, because of the possibility of the implant extruding. See eMedicine - Rhinoplasty, Asian : Article by Charles S Lee, MD in which Dr. Lee explains his approach in very detailed medical lingo. He's also VERY expensive ~$6K!

With Dr. Lam, he says on his website that "he has worked for the past 10 years primarily with the Caucasian or Western face" when asked if he specializes in only the Asian face. Although I like his approach way better than Dr. Lee, his inexperience with Asians makes me uncomfortable.

So, I'm still set on getting my nose done in Korea. Just my 2 cents - I don't really mean to discourage you from going to one of these docs. If I have my facts wrong, please let me know. Just be careful, and good luck with your surgery whomever you choose.

Hey hey.. oic.. if u have family in seoul, ya why not?! ofcos if u compare taiwan n korea, latter will be a beta choice.

the reason why i go taiwan is becos mine few fellow PS friends went korea for nose job at BK, language barrier is one big prob, and if u are a person that emphsize alot after sales service, guess u wouldnt expect from em, cos they seem to be super busy all the time..
I like taiwan cos i been there many times, language no prob.. the doc can speak good english as well, and the PS clinic i am going to go this time, the doc used to study n pratice in BK clinic n a few famous PS clinic in japan.. so i am just going to give him a try! :graucho:

will update u guys ok! be going on end march.

I can squeeze, rub my nose. But I can't push the tip up (do a piggy nose) To me it feels natural. When you touch it, it feels slightly harder than original nose.

:yes: Hey robinh! Thanks for your input--I really need ppl to discuss this stuff w/ since my nose job is a bit of a secret--family and friends would freak! Anyway, those concerns are really valid. Also, I felt weird bc his receptionist told me that Dr. Lee also doesn't do phone consultations, which is odd--I mean, it's your face, you should be able to speak to him on the phone :P

In terms of L vs I shaped implants, I found this website:
http://kyoritsu-biyo.com/eng/html/5.html

The site seems to think I shaped is better, because the tip and bridge remain separate, as in a natural nose. So you can push the tip around, supposedly.

Reenchan--Can I ask if you got an L shaped or an I shaped implant?

:wlae:

Thanks, ReenChan. Omg, Dawn's nose looks really plastic! The idea of extrusion really scares me. I guess the search for the best surgeon continues....

Robinh - Are you still considering BKClinic?

And, I know a bunch of you are planning a nose fieldtrip to Korea in November :jammin:, but is anyone up for going in March? I know it's super soon, but it's the perfect time for recovery b4 summer!... :yes:

Sorry, edit something here..
It's as hard as original nose. Maybe a bit more solid (like you can't move it side to side)

Wgirl99, yes, I'm still considering BKclinic. They were my #1 choice w/ Dreamclinic as my 2nd choice, but after hearing about how satisfied ReenChan is with Dr. Jung, I am reconsidering him! I did nix him originally b/c of what jas3n said in an earlier post - that his clinic is subpar, he's not with any PS associations, and he comes across as a bit too salesy. But ReenChan's glowing endorsement has got me thinking about him again. Also, Dr. Kim uses both goretex and silicone, but it's not clear to me which he has more experience with. He says that the implant type depends on the shape of your nose, but I want goretex no matter what shape my nose is, so I'm worried if he'll insist on silicone. Dr. Jung, on the other hand, will only use goretex regardless. Argh!! It's just so difficult to decide, given all the different factors to consider. :confused1:

I'm a male seeking rhinoplasty and possibly other surgery. So far from my research I've narrowed down my shortlist to 4 clinics:

Dr Chuang in taiwan (wishclinic) - Expert in bone shaving and nose and has been on tv alot over there. Great pre-op and post op support. He is also a student of Dr Kim (BK Clinic) so he can do Korean style rhino.

Dr Jung in korea - Now alot of people have recommended me to this guy saying he is one of the best people to goto for male rhinoplasty. He is known in korea as the godfather of noses so to speak... When I say im a male and I want to do rhino near enough everyone points me to Jung.

Dr Kim in BK Clinic - Although not great post-op still a very skillful surgeon and from what ive seen from people who have been to him they seem to be happy with what he did and he is very famous for giving females great noses, most celebs go here and I think the other 2 clinics Jelim and Dream.

Dr Park in OZ Clinic in korea - From the korean boards it seems that he is highly recommended also.

I've already had email consultations with Park and Kim now I'm talking with Jung and Chuang. I think my next plan of action is to go visit all the surgeries and have a face to face with each one before I decide on which surgeon to do my nose.

Wow, looking back at ReenChan's posts, Dr. Jung does sound great. I'm glad your new nose turned out so awesome, ReenChan! Also, if I remember from posts way back, he does speak good English, which would help in my case.

I just got an email from the counselor at Dr. Lee's in the US....I asked her about his use of Goretex and she said that most ppl choose silicone bc goretex produces more rigid and unnatural looks for the bridge(??) :s This is like contrary to what every other clinic is saying. Maybe the doc himself will clarify (sent him an email too), but it's weird...I'm beginning to think that doing it in the US might not be possible. Sigh.

I do speak Chinese, so the WishClinic option sounds interesting...
I wonder if going to Korea w/o knowing the language will be a big problem??

Uhmm.. I live in Canada and I'm currently going to U of T (like shoegirl). Our 1st semester classes are from Sept 11-Dec 8 and exams are written Dec 11-21. The day and time you write your exam is dependent on the day your professor schedules it. So we are not writing exams on all of these days.

2nd semester classes are from Jan 8- April 13 and exams can be scheduled anywhere between April 23-May11.

However, this is specifically the U of T schedule of dates.. other universities would obviously differ a bit, i.e my McMaster friends had to start 2nd semester a few days after the new year's, whereas I had like a week of rest xD haha and ohh, our semesters are called Fall and Winter! it just emphasizes how bloody cold it is right now :Push:

Oh wow, and you're 21? lol this makes me relax a bit as to when I should get this done. I imagine that I'd like to be fresh-faced and new around the time I have to go to law school :roflmfao: