BeautyHacker

Squashing the whole Airbnb host thing

Please do not because of one person. Many African Americans are going to Seoul for surgery and as I said before there is a huge community there already. I am here to chat if you like.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Kc_134 yes, eurasian beauty is totally right! Do not make your visit blown up just because of an a*!|!|hole. I am Asian and I have nothing against African Americans or any other races. We are all same, a piece of flesh and bone.
You’re so great as a fellow member, I like to talk to you so much and get an advice from you. Don’t be like this, you should consider about your trip again.

Im not sure if he's unauthorized or not...he's started a public website here:
www.rediscoveryhouse.com
But the whole system is kinda messed up. It's a stupid loophole that anyone could just swoop by and claim a fee like this. Shame on Korea's PS industry in general.

But @MissOrange what he said about the marketing costs doesn't make sense and shows his greed. By his logic, I should be getting the cut from the clinic because the clinic got more patients through my review. Tony didn't do jack. All he did was pretend to provide value by transporting and translating. Honestly the cost is took to feed this guy dinner and lunch...it's much cheaper to travel around with taxi and speak English to the Doctor by yourself lol.

It was clear he got confused and started panicking as he probably didn't expect me to figure out what he was doing.

He tried contacting me by the way "to talk things out", but I've blocked him. I've learned that it's best to completely cut off toxic people from my life without second thoughts.

He even increased his AirBNB prices T_T

Also, medical agents get as much as 20% off your surgery price but they are supposed to like drive you around for check-ups/sightseeing /airport pickup, etc and even provide you food if you had major surgeries. I tried to hire one but changed my mind after being more knowledgeable thru PF.

same here. esp since in Korea I feel like its an overall English-friendly country, I dont know if agency is the way to go. on top of that, most clinics offer most of these services anyway. I dont need the extra help if a lump sum of my surgery cost is gonna go straight into their pocket. thanks for letting us all know everyone!

I wouldn't necessarily say that Korea is English friendly as dependent on the area most do not speak English. But most clinics definitely, but it is certain that Koreans in general though not always proficient in English are certainly friendly and very willing to help you!

I see on this forum a lot of 1st timers worrying about going to Seoul. I have been there many times and really nothing to worry about as it is very safe and people are extremely nice. And if you're afraid of not being able to speak the language, I got a tip is to use Google Translate. You can pre-download language packages i.e. Korean to (your language), so you can use it while in Korea to help you navigate the city. Of course not sufficient for consults of course :smile:

• 4 weeks later...
Hi there @Ashly117
I found out about Tony from your and kkpoebee glowing review, also from airbnb glowing review as well, and decided to go with him.
It's a bit surprising and heart-breaking when I found out that Tony is just another broker, as I already gave him all my data, name, DOB, airline tix, photos, clinic preferences, procedures I'm interested in.
Do you mind to give me advice? Should I cancel Tony (I already paid for Tony room for 3 days via Airbnb, the rest will be paid by cash upon my arrival)? Is that really true that the price will increase by 20% (lit's so freakin' high T-T)?
However, since the date is approaching (less than a week), I'm really confuse to cancel him or not to (as he may already talked to all the clinic I'm interested in).
Really appreciate your advice, thank you.

If you did cancel, I would check the refund policy Tony has for his Airbnbs. Additionally, would you have another place to stay instead? Also, I would check with AirBnb about paying cash upon your arrival because I believe it may be against their policies for a host to do that since the'll evade the percentage taken out of their profit since that goes towards AirBnb for allowing them to host in the first place.

EDIT: I actually just checked. It is against AirBnb's policy for a host to receive payments outside of AirBnb's website because they won't be able to handle any issues related to off-site or cash payments since they're not liable for that. Since Tony is already requesting for you to make cash payments outside of the site, that already goes to show that he's being unethical because he's willing to use a third party site (AirBnb) to allow him to host his properties but he's not willing give the company the appropriate commission for doing so. If you did end up canceling, I would just lie and say you had an emergency and had to opt out of your trip to South Korea. However if you did end up staying at his place, when you go to write your review on his AirBnb site, I would leave no stone unturned and let his potential customers know that he's having you make off site payments to stay at his property. Tsk Tsk tony...

You have 2 different and clearcut options.

1. If you don’t feel comfortable staying at this AirBnB, cancel the reservation and eat the loss as a price for your piece of mind. The listing has a strict cancellation policy. Based on your post, it’s too late to get any refund per airbnb’s 7 day rule. This is one more worry you don’t need, so if it’s important to you to avoid this accomodation, cancel, book an new place, and focus on your surgery.

2. You can also keep your reservation and communicate with your host there whether you will use his services or not. Guides, middlemen, and brokers may be unpopular here on TPF, but lots of people think it’s worth the extra cost and chose to use them regardless, and it’s entirely a personal choice. It doesn’t sound like this place is unsafe. Since you can’t get your money back from AirBnB, it wouldn’t be odd or impractical at all if you decided to continue with your original plan - so long as you understand the medical tourism business and have appropriate expectations.

I was luckier that I saw these posts before committing to his condo. Now you, however, can still back out of your broker deal (unless you signed something). I am pretty sure he monitors PF which is his main marketing arm and especially this thread, so he knows who you are and having reservations about the stay. Since you already paid for 3 days and covered by airbnb rules and if you feel comfortable then stay for 3 days and in the meantime, send your inquiries to all the clinics via kakao introducing yourself and cosmetic concerns and tell them no one is representing you. The remaining days , since it was not through airBNB, you can just cancel.
I'm pretty sure, Tony the businessman , would not want a very angry tenant in his apartment and he will understand your change of heart.

I forgot to mention. If you have concrete proof that Tony wanted you to pay the rest of the fees in cash when you arrived, you can actually send screenshots of that conversation to AirBnb and they will most likely refund you the deposit/fee for the 3 nights stay at his property. There's nothing like the threat of exposing a host's intention to cheat Airbnb out of their commission.