BeautyHacker

Squashing the whole Airbnb host thing

Unless AirBNB has changed monumentally, I do not believe he can collect cash. I'd call them and let them know he's doing that. They don't even release money until you check in and all is well (last I used them). They could very well help you find another place to stay. Good luck.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, thank you all for your warm concern.

To be fair, about paying cash, it's not all his fault, I mean he offered 2 options (inside or outside airbnb), and I was the one that took cash outside option (due to my CC limit) which mean that's also my fault (Also I dont know about airbnb rules about this at that time - first time user). Now I know, and actually feel ashamed.

Now, I already cancelled him (and will get 50% refund 5-7days later) and make everything clear with the hospital that I want to visit.

Just really hope my consultation and if possible surgery going well :smile:

@eurasian, what cash transaction means is that the rest of her stay is 'under the table' . He will take his unit off Airbnb for the duration and tenant will just pay cold cash directly to him.
Regarding the deposit, Airbnb keeps the money until you check out and releases to the landlord (unless there are major complaints before money is released from both parties, e.g. pets destroyed the furnitures, toilet was not fixed by landlord, you know , stuff ).

@Charlotte123456 , if you are still looking for a place to stay, where I booked there seems to have another unit. No guarantees since I'm not going there till June-July

Charlotte, the fact that he even offered to have you pay OFF-SITE (UNDER THE TABLE) is already violating AirBnb's rules. It doesn't matter if you didn't understand AirBnb's policies, the fact that an AirBnb host offered that to you is all the more reason for you to send that conversation as proof of him being unethical since he's trying to cheat AirBnb out of their commission. I understand you already canceled him but I think you can actually get 100% of your refund if you contact the company and give them your conversation as proof. Also, you would do everyone and those oblivious to Tony's motives if you did contact AirBnb about this because they most likely will penalize him. Whether it is to revoke his privilege to be a host or put him on a suspension, you'll be incredibly helpful by having other people avoid falling for his schemes.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not sure..but I think if you do that he'll still find a way to contact your clinics and say he referred you so he gets his kickbacks and you end up getting a higher quote as a result.

I'm really worried that he won't be happy with me trying to do things myself. When I booked, I let him know what surgery I planned on getting, etc. and even asked him what clinics he recommends. However, I did not tell him what clinics I booked...
should I be worried? Would it worth it to cancel? It's a lot of money that I would lose

Did you pay your entire Airbnb fee through the website or did he ask for you to pay the rest in cash?

Girls, you can LITERALLY use this thread as proof to Airbnb when making a case to retract your payment from Airbnb. You can cite that he's done ILLEGAL brokering behind clients's backs. Take the link to this thread and give it to Airbnb.

Yeah.. if you did that then you definitely won't get all of your money refunded back. The only way that I could think of in which you can get 100% of it back is if you contact AirBnb and show them this thread and let them know you aren't comfortable staying with him or something. Because honestly you can just use a government approved medical translator and they can help you out instead of using Tony's services.

What's the refund policy for your stay -- there are 3 kinds. Was it strict,no refunds? It should be fine if you tell him you plan to do it yourself, there is no contract for that, just refused the other services like driving you around. Did he already asked for your date of birth and other pertinent info?

The policy is strict. He only asked what i was interested in, what clinics am i interested in and general info like that, but nothing personal about me such as my birthdate, etc. I am just worried that even if I refuse his services, he would be a little bitter and perhaps contact clinics behind my back and perhaps jeopardize things for me