BeautyHacker

Vline + Zygoma at EUDental

• Disclaimer: I’m only sharing a review of my experience, I can’t see the result yet for now so I can’t recommend anything yet, will keep the post as updated as I can
  • Main concern: asymmetry, protruding cheekbone, wide lower face
  • Procedure: Vline + Zygoma
  • Dr. Kim at EU Dental

PRE-OP:
  1. Consultation & decision: I went on a separate trip to Seoul 3 months before my surgery to consult at different clinics. EU was my top choice but for different reasons I ended up sending my deposit to another clinic, and then, for more different reasons, changed my mind again and switched back to EU - my top choice. It’s a long story.
  2. Why I chose EU: I’ve visited different maxillofacial clinics (I don’t go to Plastic surgery hospital) and their facilities and cleanliness was among the top tier. They offer 1 night stay at the clinic post op. Many of their staffs can speak fluent English, which is something very important to me as I was going alone. Even for consultation, there was a group chat of 3, me and 2 other consultants who can answer my questions in office hours and after office hours. There was also a lot of Korean patients waiting on the day I consulted. And most importantly, I felt like I clicked with Dr. Kim.

OPERATION DAY: The process was quite simple, I came 2 hours before my surgery time (10:30AM), changed, signed paperworks, met with Dr. Kim again and went into operation room. I breathed in 2 times and then I can’t remember anything else.

POST-OP

12 hours post-op (it’s midnight but I’ve been sleeping since the afternoon so I am not so sleepy anymore T_T):

Waking up from anesthesia at 1PM, it took me a few minutes to realize where I am. My worst fears did not happen, phewww: the fear of feeling pain but not being able to let the dr know under anesthesia & the fear of not waking up from anesthesia LOL.

I was walked back to my room. I was able to text my family immediately. I was a bit sleepy and thirsty, but to be honest it was a lot better than what I expected.

My post-op expectation and experience:

1. Nausea => yes, but it was mild
  2. Vomiting => no, I wanted to but was able to hold it back
  3. Crying => no LOL thanks myself
  4. Pain => not much and it was bearable for me. It was more of a discomfort. I expected that it’d feel like someone broke my face (which is the reality) lol, but not really. The ice pack helped a lot too. Not sure if this is because I’m still under painkillers but I honestly expected worse. (==> I asked the nurse, I was not under painkillers)
  5. Swollen face => yes, it get more swollen every hours. I thought my headband was being moved, but turned out it’s just my face getting more swollen like a balloon, making it feels like it’s popping out of the headband.
  6. Not being able to drink => no, I could drink from the cup as soon as I was allowed to.
  7. Painful throat => no, it was a bit sore only, no pain.
  8. Not being able to talk => to my surprise, no. I could talk when I call my family 4-5 hours post op. I’m not sure if I should be doing it though, other forum members did tell me I shouldn’t move my face. I’ll ask my doctor tomorrow.
  9. Not being able to laugh => yes. I bet it’d hurt. I wanted to laugh at myself when I see my balloon face in the mirror, but couldn’t.
  10. Spill/cough out blood => no. I haven’t spilled out anything since I got up from the surgery, but I do have dry blood inside my nose, but maybe it stopped itself?
  11. Swallowing blood => yes, but very little and only 3-4 times throughout the entire night. I think it was blood from my nose.
The main (& unexpected) discomfort for me was my neck and my headache. My neck felt like I’ve been working on my computer for 8 hours straight - I can’t find the right word to describe it - but it feels tiring. The headache was the worst thing but it went away with the nausea so I think it’s a side effect of anesthesia for me.

20 hours post-op (next day morning - discharge day) (is it Day 1?):
I drank a lot of water and went to the bathroom a few times during the night. I’m less nauseous now and can constantly change my ice packs by myself. I think I’m ready to leave the clinic in a few hours.
I think it’s important to be able to stay overnight after going through a big surgery with 3+ hours under GA. I think I took the anesthesia sickness very well yesterday after waking up (ie. no vomiting or crying or panicking), but I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be able to go back to the hotel 2 hours after the surgery on my own. It’s better safe than sorry. If you go into this alone, pay to stay if they don’t offer. I rang the bell a lot to ask for the simplest stuffs in the first 6-8 hours yesterday, like dim the lights or change my ice packs or get me water, etc.
I met with dr Kim to disinfect my mouth. Then I was taken to have the deswelling laser treatment and took a cab back to my hotel.
I unpacked and was able to work on my laptop for a few hours when I got back to my hotel room, then I walked out for 1 hr, came back in the evening, cooked and ate my soup (BTW, my lips weren’t numb - I could feel it when I ate the soup), then showered and washed my hair by myself that night. I’m surprised that I’m feeling like this. The last time I went thru GA for lipo, I was like a zombie for the next 2 days. This time is much better and I’m not sure why. I followed Dr. Sinatra’s Power Healing program pre-op, leaving the link here in case someone might want to have a look at it: https://www.drsinatra.com/maximizing-the-surgery-recovery-process. I took Vitamin C, milk thistle, CoQ10 and zinc before surgery as he wrote. Plan to continue taking Vit C, Vit B6, Fish oil starting 3 days post op.

Day 2 (today):
I was much less swollen last night, but Day 2 morning, I’m swollen even more - like the first night all over again. It was expected anyway. I kept icing my face a lot, hopefully it’ll go down. EU let me come to do deswelling laser everyday for 20 minutes each day starting the first day, which is nice. I put on my compression bandage almost 24 hours a day because I was instructed that it might help with swelling. However, today I was told that I should put it on and take it off sometimes because it might be too tight and make me swell more. I’m totally not sure of the science behind it, but either way is fine for me because it doesn’t feel that tight and I can breathe normally. I wear it when I go out and shopping today. I think from Day 2 until 1 - 2 week, there wouldn’t be anything more to share as things will mostly remain the same.

Note: So far, I've had a positive experience with the clinic of my choice. As I said, the result is not visible yet so I can't say anything for now. But I felt like the surgeon and anesthesiologist did a good job because I'm feeling good and healthy even 1-2 day post op. I also didn't allow them to use any of my photos, and I was afraid it may change their attitude, but it did not. All 3 consultants have been extremely nice and helpful even before I arrive to Korea and it still didn't change after I've paid in full and have finished my surgery. I'll wait until 1, 3 and 6 months post op to share how I feel about my results. Right now, my mom keep telling me that she can already see it looks good now, but all I can see is a swollen balloon face LOL.

Not surgery related but I wanted to share: My hotel is 20 mins from the clinic (not in Gangnam area), but I'm LOVING it!!! They have the stove top and kitchen utensils, which allow me to cook my soup. They also have a large fridge with freezer, I put all my ice packs, jelly masks in there along with damp towels, making it possible for me to ice my face almost whenever I want to! I can share the hotel name if anyone is interested. I'm still staying here so it's better not share it publicly. hehe.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[​IMG]
[​IMG]
I bought this mask at a pharmacy, I find it very useful. (ahhh i can't insert pictures, but it looks like this: https://images.app.goo.gl/tXdhcawcxcLHdz34A) It's called face mask hot & cold soothing gel for the face

[​IMG]
Chicken ginseng soup I've been eating along with nutrition drinks and smoothie + protein blend. Tastes ok (https://www.tradekorea.com/product/detail/P605079/Harim-Corporation-(Ginseng-Chicken-Soup).html)

1 week update:
I'll have my stitch (outside near my ear) removed tomorrow, and will leave Korea the day after. I'll have to stitch out (inside) in my country.
- Face swelling: My face is less swollen now, it just looks like I got chubby, not like a balloon like a few days before. The swelling got down from day 5, day 2-4 are worst swelling. Don't be surprised if you look okay at the end of day 1 thinking you're lucky but then BAM day 2 you wake up looking like a floating balloon :smile:
- Lip swelling: This is unexpected for me, but my lips are HUGE. I look like a duck because of the swelling, and I think it's A LOT more than other people. If it's not swollen, I can be pretty confident with the current swelling situation of my face (I've been THAT chubby before LOL). I'm not sure why my lips are more swollen, but I don't think anyone can answer that either as each person reacts differently. Just sharing it here so you can be prepared.
- I stopped icing after day 3. It was recommended by EUDental that icing only helps for the 1st few days. There are many who have shared that they ice a lot for 1-2 first weeks and it helped, however, I just decided to follow my doctor.
- Diet: I can't drink the nutritional drink as I find it too sweet for me. I've been living by chicken soup, fruit smoothie with protein powder, chopped noodle (to swallow like a soup LOL). I think having something hot each day makes me feel less hungry, so don't just drink the nutritional drinks. Get something hot for breakfast/lunch to keep you energized.
- (Edited) Oops, forgot the most important part: my face shape. The chin is the most obvious to see at this moment as my swelling has not reached my chin yet (or skipped it). My chin is sliiiiiiightly smaller just like I wanted, enough to make a difference, but not enough for people to know that I went thru a surgery. I can't wait to see how my jaw line and cheekbone turn out.

1. First 2 week update & swelling situation

• Day 0: 10:30 went into surgery room, got out & texted my family at 13:30. No pain, no vomiting, a bit nauseous, slight discomfort because neck felt tired and a little headache for a few hours. No drainage tube so also no throat pain. Drank water from a cup at 17:00. At night, was able to go to the bathroom & change my ice packs on my own. Sleep in 90 degree position for the first night in hospital ward. Nurse came in several time at night to check on me. Swelling: increase every hour, at night it was 7/10 (10 is my peak swelling as I observe). Bruising: none (the undereye tape might have covered the undereye bruises so I couldn’t see)
  • Day 1: 09:00 nurse removed chin tape and IV infusion on the wrist; Dr. Kim disinfected my mouth. Got my prescribed drugs, a laser deswelling treatment and got discharged. Back to my hotel: unpacked, worked on my laptop for a few hours, walked around the neighborhood for 1 hour, got back, showered and washed my hair. Swelling: decrease every hour, at night after shower it was 2/10 (I looked close to normal, thought I got lucky). Bruising: none (same reason - the tape was still on)
  • Day 2: Iced my face the entire morning. Walked for 2 hours in the afternoon. Went to laser deswelling treatment. Showered and washed my hair at night. Swelling: 8/10 (I was shocked looking in the mirror in the morning). Bruising: none
  • Day 3: Same activity with day 2. Removed face tape & under eye tape in the shower. Also last day of using ice packs. Peak swelling: 10/10. Yellow bruising around the eye: 10/10
  • Day 4: Same activity, just more walking as I stopped using ice packs after 3 days as instructed by EU. Swelling: 10/10
  • Day 5: Same activity. Swelling: 9/10. Bruising: 10/10
  • Day 6: Swelling starts to go down and I could see the difference in the morning and afternoon. At night I’d say it was 6/10. Bruising: 9/10
  • Day 7: Dr. Kim removed my outside incision, saw my before and after xray and CT scan. Asked doctor if it’s ok to fly out the day after. He said it was ok so day 7 was my last day in Korea (at first I planned to stay 12 days). I walked A LOT that day because I had a lot of things I wanted to buy. Swelling at night was 5/10. Bruising: 8/10
  • Day 8: Flying home day. The flight was 5-hour long, early morning flight. I was a bit afraid that it’d be painful but I didn’t feel any pain or discomfort on air. I actually slept before the plane took off and woke up 30 mins before it landed. However, I felt very tired that night. Swelling: 5/10. Bruising: 7/10
  • Day 9: From day 9 onward I walk very little. 1km each day instead of 7-8km like when in Seoul. Swelling 5/10. Bruising: 5/10
  • Day 10: Swelling 4/10. Bruising: 4/10
  • Day 11 & 12: Swelling 3/10. Bruising: 2/10
  • Day 13: Went to a local OMS clinic for stitching out. They also checked my swelling and my senses and said that I’m recovering well and said the incisions are done very nicely and neat. The bone results needed to be seen on xray but from an outside look they also think it was a job well done.
  • Day 14: Swelling is still 3/10. From now until 1 month I think it’ll be a slower progress.

2. Diet

• For the first 2 weeks (almost), I only eat liquid food as instructed by EU for zygoma patients. I can’t drink nutritional drink as it’s too sweet, so I drink juices, milk, smoothie with BCAA powder, chicken soup, noodles (non spicy, cut it small and swallow it like a soup).
  • From day 12, I started to eat. I could eat japchae (korean glass noodle), pho (vietnamese rice noodle), steamed rice rolls, spaghetti… It was a bit hard at first, felt like mouth muscles are very tight. But the food is the motivation so I just ate it anyway.
  • I lost 1 kg in 2 weeks, yay

3. Numbness

I can’t see my final result yet as I’m still swelling, but I have to give this credit to Dr. Kim: I don’t feel numb anywhere on my face. Many people shared that their lips or chin was numb for the first weeks/months, and I was prepared for it. However, from day 1, my lips could feel how warm the soup were, or when something in the soup is on my lips. Same thing for my jaw and chin. This is the only obvious result that I can see and give credit to Dr. Kim. I also think I recovered pretty quickly and I’m not sure if it’s thanks to Dr. Kim or the anesthesiologist or my physical strength, or any other factors, so I can’t say for sure. But the numbness that I don’t feel at all is certainly his work.

4. Face shape

My jaw and cheek is still very swollen, but I can see my new chin shape. Also, my chin was deviated before, so my lips are a little bit asymmetrical (left side of the lip always lower than right side). It’s more symmetrical now. Like normally if I take selfie and there’s a grid, my lip left and right side won’t be on the same line. Now it is.