BeautyHacker

How can I make my calves smaller?

I went to check out the Grand Surgery website n im so tempted to go to them. But I don't understand if they are doing muscle or nerve ablation or are they doing selective neurectomy? Does anyone know and could share?

Cos the way they describe in the website about doing the calf reduction surgery seems so much less invasive than the partial resection surgery done by both Dr Park & Dr Jong?

Is anyone interested to go to them too? ;)

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi lil_tiga

How much did you pay and was it a nerve or muscle ablation surgery or selective neurectomy? How many cm did you lose on each calf n how long did it take for you to see the results?

Im so excited after hearing from you that you had a non-surgical calf reduction procedure as Im so scared n worried of the partial resection surgery done by Dr Park n Dr Jong cos of the long recovery period etc.

I have pm you.

Hope to hear from you soonest n many thanks for your kind assistance ;)

Cheers

Hi there so sorry about the late response. The operation Dr Liu does is different to the one that Dr Park performs. Dr Liu performed a "selective neurectomy"- its non invasive unlike the partial gastronemius resection performed by Dr Park. In saying that, I think Dr Liu also performs the resection (cuts out the muscle surgically) although I opted for neurectomy (cuts a nerve) and 3 months later i am more than satisfied, I couldn't recommend the neurectomy procedure!

Hi Black Caviar

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Im so excited to learn that your surgery was a success. I have been very worried about partial resection due to the long periods of recovery plus I have to spend around 2 weeks in Korea or Taiwan.

But aren't you worried the muscles may come back or the Soleil might compensate n the muscles become bowed out?

cheers.

For those of you considering any kind of calf reduction surgery, please weigh the risks and results of each method. I looked into all the different ways and decided in the end that the partial gastrocnemius resection method by Dr. Park was the best way to go.

The other methods - nerve ablation and selective neurectomy - seemed like the easier way with faster recovery times/less pain/etc. but they also have a high chance of recurrence, meaning that the probability of your calf muscle growing back is high. I didn't want to go through those methods and in the end risk ending up with more or less what I started up with so I decided to go through the most invasive way.

For me, recovery was relatively quick and it's pretty easy to "hide" from friends/family so you can recover while still meeting up with people or going out. I think Sinnech was a big help in recovering fast so definitely buy that before getting this surgery done.

The pain wasn't the most difficult I've ever experienced but the first day is pretty tough. Days 2 and 3 are also uncomfortable because it hurts to get up every single time but by day 4 I was feeling great. After that, I could walk around and shop a lot but definitely had to take frequent breaks or sit down whenever my legs felt "heavy" and in pain. After about 10-14 days you can resume work and relatively light walks - you definitely don't have to be holed up in your hotel room/home. Just move around carefully and gingerly and you will be able to go out to dinner/dates with your friends. I was able to hide this pretty well and didn't stay at home all that much during my recovery.

So even though recovery is long, it's not the type where you can't go to work or have to stay at home during the process. It is a longer ongoing recovery but it's really not that bad because you can still go out and seem normal in front of friends - just can't exercise for a while.

Also, just make sure you do the stretches pretty regularly - I wasn't that diligent after the first 2 weeks but I'm sure it would have helped me more.

Hi everyone!

I'm at 3 months post op now...

Size:
I have measured my calves last night (right after i take off bandages) and I am surprisingly shocked about the size.

Left: 30cm
right: 29cm

Recap of my calf measurement:

Before Surgery: left (35cm) right (36.5cm)
2nd month post op: left (33cm) right (32cm)

They are really small now, but I know they will grow bigger once the muscles have filled in. I compress my calves with bandages every night and every day when I don't wear skirts (most of the time).

Allergies
I have eczema on my calves and they were super itchy. I have been scratching them to the point I've got lots of rashes and created more scars :cursing:. They are a lot better after I applied medication provided by a doctor.

Appearance
The scars behind my knees are still visible and there are still little bruising marks behind the knees. I really wonder when they will disappear. My feet and calves are still swollen but they are not that noticeable unless I analyze your calves and feet closely.

This is a picture I have taken around couple days ago with compression stockings.My calves look pretty small.
http://s17.postimg.org/ue81u3rnj/20131026_221937_1.jpg

Here is a picture I have taken around 2 hours later. Sorry, it's not really a good picture comparison, but you can see they grew bigger.
http://s17.postimg.org/uss7w1m7z/20131027_003235_1.jpg

Physical
I can run, jump and walk normally now. I cannot sprint at a fast pace yet. I have been training myself by speed walking non-stop for 25 minutes everyday. There were times when I do get cramps when I speed walk for 25 minutes. This morning I can speed walk for 25 minutes with no cramps, which shows that my training did improve my calf strength. I went to a party last weekend, I danced and jumped (after intaking alcohol) for the whole night and my calves were fine. I totally forgot about my calves that night.

Stiffness
My calves are still stiff. The frequency of me wearing heels is around 1-2 hours per week or less. There are events that I might need to go in the weekends where I do need to wear heels. After wearing them for a whole night, my calves feel a lot more stiff starting the next day. I do feel the muscles are growing out from time to time, which explains why my calves are still stiff. I stretch around 3 times a day. But they are usually very long stretches, especially when I stand during a train ride. (stair calf stretch) I have been lazy with my stretches but it is quite tough to keep this up especially for this long. Therefore, I will increase my walking time.

Knees
I have weak knees to begin with. They were quite painful especially during the first few months. I've been taking glucosamine and now they are fine and I have stopped taking them.

Pain
I do feel a slight heel pain when I stand for around 45 minutes during my train ride everyday after work.

Thoughts

I still do not have regrets. The happiest moment is when I go shopping for dresses/skirts/shorts. The moment when I finally look good in them. It never happened to me before and my dream came true! I just really hope the stiffness,scars, bruises, calf weakness,nerve pains will all be GONE soon!

Thx skim3!
I don't know if I will be ready for snowboarding yet. But I will give it a try at a baby hill and see.
Glad I can help you girls!

I'm not pro plastic surgery or anything and if there is a more natural method I'd love to know..but I heard non-incisional calf surgery is ok (I think they do it in Seoul Clinic, Wonjin) I don't know how it works though really.... I have largish calves too because of tight leg muscles..but I am kinda scared of getting the surgery myself in case something goes wrong and I can't walk T-T

Hi BabyAngel11,

I am Asian too and was so happy to find this forum!

I have tried Botox injection and liposuction . Botox Injection is expensive while Liposuction made my calf looks lumpy and more masculine now .

Did you get any further info re this ? http://tw.m.wretch.yahoo.com/blog/lavenir20088/25202292?
Is this method same as muscle ablation whereby doctor will have less control on the result and there is possible of recurrence ?

I am worried on the partial muscle resection recovery too but it seems that DR Park offers the safest and most effective way for now ...really wish to have the gut to go for it .

Hi Harrowzeknees & Joojoo2704 ,

I am so happy to have found this forum and has started to email Dr.Park to know if i am a good candidate for partial muscle resection surgery .

I wish to have a nice calf asap but really need accompany for the moral support during recovery .

Have you decided when would you wish to go for the surgery ? Dec 2013 or Jan works for me and i would tag along with you girls ..

Hi sszz!

I really like to go there with another girl ( much better that taking my husband that will get more expensive to buy a ticket, hotel...plus he works full time) but my plant is not fixed yet!
I preferred to go in January but I had forgotten the ticket price drops in February! You can contact me at
[email protected] if you want.

Hi sszz

Oh im glad to hear from you that you might want to opt for this Neurectomy ;)

Like you I have done Botox jabs n liposuction on my calves years ago. I regretted doing lipo on my calves cos now its kind of lumpy n uneven n saggy. And worse is they are still as large if not bigger.

Im also trying to find a non-invasive Calf Reduction surgery. I wrote to Grand surgery n they think I might not be very suitable as a candidate :sad: cos although my calves are very bulky n huge, I think they are looking for those more protruding muscles in order to see more results. They did highlight to me that it may not be a lot of difference for me. Im glad they are truthful n not just about earning $. But if I can have like a 2cm reduction via this neurectomy I think I am happy with that as its better than none. But of course, I might not be able to achieve 2 cm loss in circumference too :sad:

Do you know who does this surgery in Korea & Taiwan besides Grand & Wonjin? I think I may prefer Korea & Taiwan cos im going to travel from Asia n States is kind of a bit far for me.

Im thinking of doing it in Jan.

could anyone share any further information or results about this neurectomy?

Cheers.

Hi Rachellereis

What is the website address of SMPS Korea? And is it in Seoul?

I have sent you an email. Do you work for them or ??

Hear from you soon.

Cheers.