BeautyHacker

How can I make my calves smaller?

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Day 22

Went for my third aspiration today afternoon. Dr park only drew from my left leg. To my dismay, i thought that this would be my last aspiration, but it appears that there are still some fluids left in the right calf. I am returning back to singapore next monday afternoon. So i have to come back to the clinic on saturday, and hopefully it will be my last aspiration then ! I dread the idea of having to find a doctor or nurse to help me with my aspiration when i head back home.

Dr park also measured my circumference for the first time post op today. He measured my original circumference to be 38 (L) and 39 (R) cm pre op, and now, they are 33 (L) and 32 (R) cm. A whopping 5 and 7 cm decrease! During the pre-op consultation, i never dare ask dr. Park how much of a decrease in cm i can expect, because i am afraid to let my hopes up high. After the aspiration, he instructed me to tie my bandage real tight from now on, so to see further decrease. It is really painful to have the bandage really tight! My feet will turn into a scary shade of dark reddish brown and it feels like the circulation to my feet are completedly cut off. It is also painful !

Btw girls, if you are interested to have this surgery, please prepare some bandages for the wrapping and the bandage tape before the surgery. The clinic will not provide the bandages, which you have to take off every time you shower. There are plenty of pharmacy place ( in seoul, you cannot get them from drugstores like olive young, only from pharmacy shops ) around where you can purchase them. The price of the bandages varies a lot, some place it is 3000 won, some place 2500 won etc. The cheapest i found is a small pharmacy shop in hongdae, 1000 won per small size bandage. Stock up on the bandages when u find cheap ones. I change into a new set of bandages on both legs every other day, so they run out really quick.

Pain wise, standing still for more than a minute or more, is worse than walking. Sometimes, my right heel will suddenly turn numb and there is a slight stinging pain. Walking and stretching will help "distract" that feeling and it goes away after a while.

The picture of my unwrapped legs are taken 2 days ago before the aspiration today.

- Julia

Only two ways botox short-term or long-term block the active nerves around the calf's areas.

haven't visited this site in years, but came back to report my beautiful calves to hopefully be of help to others. I am 5'3 and always have been about 108 lbs with 38mm calves. I am extremely athletic and was a state gymnastics champion in high school.

You (since u are looking at my post) can all relate: avoided shorts, skirts, dresses. dreaded swimwear... So I started researching about ways to reduce my calves. for 2-3 years, I read everything related to calf reduction including medical journals, blogs, text books, etc. Thereafter, I went to Seoul on a business trip and met with 3 doctors who specialize in this procedure and after much deliberation and second consults, I chose Dr. Park from OZ.

Result? Since 10 years ago, I've been wearing nothing but short skirts and dresses and have been absolutely thrilled. I have lost no power in my legs as I still hike several hours at a time and bike all day long. all that exercise has not compensated the other muscles as some claim. absolutely no lingering pain, nothing.. I have been 32/33 since the surgery and am thrilled. They have not grown since the op.

I just want to help all those beautiful athletic ladies who worked so hard to build their bodies and are left with bulky calves. I hear your pain; let me know if I can help: [email protected]

I don't work for him, but if you decide to consult with him, just tell him "sexy legs" from the blog sent you. I am hoping to get a discount on another procedure.

Super long time lurker here!

Your legs look really great, Julia! It makes me super excited to have mine done. I’m 5’2 and my calves are thicker than my thighs. It’s so hard to wear straight leg jeans and pants.

I was super excited as I had saved up almost enough for this surgery with Dr. Jong but due to family matters, my savings were given up. I’m saving up again though, and aiming for end of 2019 if anyone else is interested as well.

Here are my before and after photos per ur request - from 38 to 32/33. Since the operation, I have not gained back the bulk despite my active lifestyle.

I have benefited so much from this safe operation that I want to tell the whole world.

Day 25

Hi sexy legs ! thanks for coming back onto this forum. I was just re-reading your post op updates from the previous pages! your legs look so beautiful and natural in the pic :smile:

Ellen! thanks for the compliment ! I am sorry you had to give up your hard earned savings! but i am sure you will be able to attain your saving goals in 2019 !

speaking about costs, the surgery costed me 7,200,000 won ( after the 10% cash discount ), plane ticket was around $600 singapore dollars ( USD$450 ), my airbnb apartment which is a 2 room apartment about 10-15mins drive away ( taxi fare is less than 5000 won to the clinic ) from the clinic is around USD90/ night. I feel that the cost of living in korea is relatively lower than expected. Eating out in a normal korean eatery place cost less than 10,000 won if you are not too fussy about the food. Grocery and fruits are cheap here too, which is great if you/ your companion are planning to cook. Taxi are also pretty inexpensive.

Apartment wise, actually i dont really think it is necessary to stay that close to the clinic. Because after the surgery, you only have to go for post op check ups the day after the surgery, 4th days post op, and then subsequently once every week for the aspiration, if i remember correctly. The post ops check ups are really quick, only about 20mins, and you are free to go. Perhaps for girls who are considering this surgery, you can widen your selection of apartments/hotels, and not be restricted to having to select from those that are super near :smile:

I have planned a 28days stay here in seoul for this surgery, because i wanted to have Dr park and his nurse do my aspirations ( once every week ). Staying for nearly 4 weeks has been great, i was able to meet Dr Park every week, and consult him directly about any questions i have.

For anyone who is concern with the incision scar, i have attached pictures of the back of my legs. You can also see that the dark bruises at the back of legs have faded a lot ! previously i have asked Dr park how long does it takes for the bruises and swelling be gone. He told that on average, bruises takes 1 months ( which is very accurate, at least for my case ) and swelling takes 7 months to be gone. I take bromelain every night for the bruising/swelling, but didn't managed to find arnica pills in singapore, oh wells.

- Julia

@Julia A thank you for all of your contributions to this blog!!! You’re the only one that posted with so much details and photos. You’re the real MVP!!! Please continued to keep us updated on your healing progress. Your result is so good I can’t wait to see when its completely healed. Thank you so much you are so very much appreciated and have a speedy recovery!!❤️

@Bambu you are too kind :P:smile:. We all help each other in this forum, just like how i read and use amici and princess updates and pictures for inspiration before i had my surgery. You mentioned that you are planning for your surgery with dr park soon right? I hope you all the best. You are in good hands with dr park. Him and his team have been good and kind to me.
Mandarin Chinese is actually my mother tongue and i speak it fluently, my dad also have reliable and close friends in taipei. Hence, he originally wanted me to go to taiwan to have this surgery instead of Korea, as he was also very concern with the political tension between north and south Korea. Taipei would have been the logical choice, as i speak 0 korean and had only been to korea once when i was younger. i was even planning to try communicate in japanese, if english fails :yucky:, as japan and korea is near and some korean do learn japanese ! But dr park's english is great! So no communication barrier at all. I was actually unaware of the difference between dr park and dr jong techniques at the time of planning for the surgery. I picked dr park because of his experience with the surgery and because Korea is the capital of beauty and plastic surgery here in Asia. Many Singaporeans opt to head to seoul to have plastic surgeries done, despite malaysia and thailand being just a stone's throw away and much much cheaper.

-Julia

Day 26

i want to summarise the various discomfort and ways of dealing with them, which i have tried and worked for me :smile:. I will separate the discomforts i faced according to weeks.

week 1:
1. post anaesthesia headache
--> This was during the first 3 days after surgery. Its down to luck i guess, some people get them, while others dont. Keep yourself hydrated and have some caffeine. Lie down instead of sitting, and the headache will go down when u lie down to rest. It will be gone spontaneously within the first week.
2. Fever --> Developed fever the day after surgery. Went away after a day. Let the doctor know and he will give you meds for it.
3. Nausea
4. Swollen feet -->My feet start swelling the night after the surgery. Try elevating or keep them on the chair/ bed when you sit or lie down. Swollen feet can get real painful if you keep putting your feet on the ground for a long time, during the first few days after the surgery. Dr park told me that you can massage the feet to help improve circulation. My aunt actually bought ginger, slice them and boiled them. She then let me soak my swollen feet in the boiled ginger water, which is very comfortable. This is a traditional Chinese technique she said.
5. Swelling in my thighs too--> make my legs look fatter than pre op.
5. Bruises start developing. They look scary and makes the region a little sore and tender to touch. Generally harmless, however some bruises are painful. So prepare heat or ice pack.
6. Deep soreness in the calves when stand/ walk
7. Pure pain during stretching during the first and second week of post op. Now in Day 26, i dont really feel anything when i stretch. You can up your stretching game slowly by stepping further away from the wall and do the belly to wall stretch.
8. You get easily tired and out of breath, even for just a short short walk. Like you just ran a full marathon.
9. Walking up any slope = dont even think about it. After the third week, i am able to walk up slopes much easier and faster.
10. Having to sleep only on my back and not being able to shift and change your position when you sleep. I actually got back aches and pain from sleeping only on my back. This is tricky even for me, as i mainly sleep on my back even before the surgery! I think it not being able to toss and turn that is tricky.
11. Apart from back aches from sleeping on my back, my back is a little sore from the spinal anaesthesia. Lasted for a few days.
12. Poor appetite during the first week post op. Mainly due to headaches, nausea and needing to take so much medications every day for the first week post op ( we are given 5 pills to take after EVERY meal, so its 15 pills a day plus the vitamins and bromelain.. )
13. Mild depression. stems from being kept at home, loneliness, home sickness, worrying that i will never recover again etc.. Mood is also heavily affected by the weather.

Week 2:
1. Muscle cramps
--> mainly in the morning. Painful during
2. Nerve Pain --> i had some nerve pain during the first week, but the frequency of occurence is much much higher during the second week for me. Often, its a burning sensation, sometimes it is a burning sensation + a stabbing high intensity pain. Usually at my right leg , ankle and frequently in my heel region. Now is week4, i didnt experience nerve pain. But lets hope it remains this way! Fingers crossed. Nerve pain is the most painful for me throughout this whole process. Try applying ice packs or take the strong pain killer Dr gave.
3. Pinching feeling in my heels when i walk/ stand too long. Not as pain as nerve pain or cramps. Bearable but irritating. I see it as a signal for me to sit and rest.
4. Itchiness under the bandages and swollen feet. Prepare thick and good calamine lotion before the surgery, I had hives before, which is way worse and calamine lotion really helped. Get the viscous and thick kind, the more watery ones is not as good i feel. The itchiness mostly died down at week4.

Week 3 - Now :
From week 3 onwards i didnt really experience any new form of discomfort or pain. Mainly the continuation of the previous conditions.

day 26 updates:
went for my fourth and final check up at Dr park clinic today afternoon. I was SO HAPPY when Dr told me that there are no more fluid left in my left calves! this means that i no longer have to worry about doing aspiration when i return to Singapore !!! SO happy its crazy. Dr Park also gave me the stocking before i left. He say that the stockings can be worn if i am wearing skirts, but bandage is still the way to go He also wanted me to update him my conditions and measurements every month. Before i left i asked him several questions, which i think some of you girls will be interested in too.
Q1: After i return home, if there are days when i do too much walking, will fluid still build up and do i have to aspire myself?
This question is very important, because a girl wrote here in the forum that she had her surgery down in taiwan, and there were a lot of fluid build up in her legs after she returned home and did long hours of walking one day. Her doctor instructed her do aspiration ASAP, and i was worried that i will face the same problem as her. Dr Park assured me that i will not have to do any more aspiration, and even if i walked too long, there will just be swelling but there is no need to do aspiration.
Q2: i plan to start yoga class when i return home, as my new form of exercise, How long do i have to wait before i can do yoga?
Dr park said that yoga is very good for the post op healing, and that i can start when i get home.
Q3: There is a small small lump at the inner side of my right calf, which i can feel it when i massage my legs. Is it normal ?
Dr Park said that it is normal and the small lump muscle will eventually smooth out over time.

*I just realised that i have never shared a side view pic before.

- Julia

Day 30

Hi all. This is my 1 month post op mark! Yay! I am currently back in beautiful Singapore, so glad to be home. I have forgotten to post my day 28 update on my flight back home, will do so probably later.

Went to the office today. I chose to wear the compression stocking instead of my bandages so to avoid having to answer any questions. The stocking is pretty difficult to get on at first, but it is comfortable to wear. The bandage is definitely tighter than the stocking. In the office, i tried to walk as normaly as possible and was careful in hiding my slight limp. No one seem to suspect anything which was great.

I am unsure whether is it because singapore is just too damn hot and humid or what, but it is really uncomfortable to sleep with the bandages at night. I kept waking up because of pain from how the bandage wrapped around my calves. And i kept having to unwrap my bandages to give the irritated skin a breather and alleviate the pain. In the end, i got so annoyed that i slept without my bandages this 2 nights since i got back. I will try sleeping with my compression stocking tonight, hopefully there will be no problem.

Pain wise, i didnt experience any intense pain throughout the day. There will be times when my calves feel like they are having a minor minor cramp. However the feeling goes away quickly.

* In the picture collages, the last pic on day 30 is me wearing the compression stocking.

- Julia