BeautyHacker

How can I make my calves smaller?

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the exact same legs as my father.. and i have always been like that, there is nothing I can do..... I do exercice, but I avoid jumping, lifting weights, doing stairs... My calves are 16”, i don’t fit in any skinny jeans and i don’t wear shorts since a couple of years, i can’t not stand anymore comments on my muscles..

Girl if I was you I would just have it done. To me it looks like you need a bit taken off the inside and if it is the gastronomic muscle from what I have read it would just need to be stretched after the operation. I am not saying it is the gastronomic muscle as I am not a doctor. If a doctor told me I needed to have the soleus muscle reduced I would not do it as I would not risk not being able to walk properly. I got mine done after I went to quite a famous lipo Dr in UK said to me that the rugby team would be proud of my legs. He said it was muscle not fat and from then I was looking to have them reduced.

Hi Camber!
I saw a video from the National geographic on the web of Dr.Park doing cal for muscle resection, I saw the big window you were talking about ;)!
- you said your life is back to normal, you run normally? Could you do 5-10km? Jump normally? Could you play beach volley-ball? Are you tired earlier than before? I am ready to give up some fonctionnality to have a normal life and wear shorts pants, but I want to have a good idea of what to expect....
- do you think I will be able to work 12 days after the surgery? (Job is a mix of sitting, standing and walking, 6 to 12h). At this moment, I can only take 2 weeks, including flights...
Thank you so much for answering my questions!

Hi Girl
I think you will probably be back to normal within a few months but maybe when you return to work it will be a bit of a struggle to stand for too long. Elevate your legs when you get home and wear your compression stockings or the bandages at all times for the first 2 or 3 months or as long as needed to reduce swelling.
The first two weeks are 'dark' I would say - weird, you are sore, you have to keep going to the clinic to have the aspiration done and your calves stretched. The nurse will push you into the wall to stretch your calves but it is better to feel the pain than not to stretch and then not be able to walk later on.
Also do the aspiration if you need to do it.
I can walk normally now jump, run do everything as I did before and had completely forgot I had the operation within 3 or 4 months.
Any other questions just ask.

Hi Girl! Where will you be travelling from and when are you looking to go to Dr Park to get the surgery done? I’m planning to go before the year ends and it would be great to have someone to go with!

Than you for answering, sincerely. I am afraid, but ready!

( Around 5 months post op )

Hi all, it has been about 5 months since the op ( my surgery was May 15 2018 ). Things have been alright. My right calf ( which dr park took out more as it was originally bulkier ) looks pretty straight even though it has been 5 month now. But my left calf is quite shapely and not as straight, probably because dr didn’t take out as many from there. I have stopped bandaging my right legs ( the straighter one) a month ago and it still looks alright. Currently I am still bandaging my left calf.

Pain wise, I realised that the pain or stiffness I felt sometimes was not due to my calves but because of how tightly I tied the bandages, which made walking painful. I went for a holiday in Hong Kong maybe 2.5months post op and there were tons of walking to do. The tight bandage made it really painful to walk so i went bandage free during my holiday there and was able to do a whole day of shopping with no problem. Since coming back I have never had any nerve pain or other pain. My legs felt fine and normal too, no losing of feelings or numbness etc.

Exercise wise: I have started going back to my post op exercising regime and every thing is as per normal too. Previously I have tried jogging maybe 3 months post op, and my calf felt weaker so I didn’t continue and switched to other form of exercise.

Regret/satisfied: I will say go for it. Even though my leg calf is more shapely than my right, they still look way better than before my surgery. I am no longer conscious about the size of my calves anymore and have grew used to wearing my bandage out in public in shorts.

I feel completely normal and my leg strength have returned to pre op level too. I have also started driving maybe 1.5 month again too.

The photo below was taken yesterday.

P.s the slippers I am wearing are from adidas. The base is soooo cushiony that it made walking so comfortable and easy. I just came back from a trip to Bangkok and had no problem shopping for 3 consecutive days. Highly highly recommend for post op !

- julia

Hi girl, I will say that day 12 is maybe a little rush, I think you will be quite uncomfortable at work too. At week2, your walking might still be slow and limping, if you don't mind your colleagues noticing maybe it will be alright. At 3 months post-op, I still couldn't jump as high as pre-op, it was more like a hop. But now at 5 months post op, everything is normal. For walking Stamina, if I had tied my bandages very very tightly, it will be uncomfortable walking for too long and even worse walking up the stairs. It think it has to do with poor blood circulation and the calves being too confined by the bandages, and less to do with my actual leg strength.

For ladies who are planning to have this surgery done, I will suggest that it will be better to have a more realistic expectation before going in for the surgery. As it is very hard to achieve stick thin legs from an originally chucky calves, after the surgery and the recovery. However a normal and decent calves size is definitely attainable. Of course, this will differ between people and original calves size, or maybe a second surgery if you are up for it.

I booked the surgery!! October 19th, I am staying 10 nights after the surgery and I will go back to work on day 14, it was the best I could do. I wish everything will go well. Thank to everyone who answered me and helped me make my decision. I will keep you posted!