BeautyHacker

My rhinoplasty revision experience in Seoul

Hi forumers,

I want to give back by posting my experience (although it's in progress--I still have my cast on!). Part of the reason I found 101 and Dr. Paik was due to others on this board who were helpful enough to share their own experience. From there, I did my own research, and then consulted in-person in addition to having email consults/inquiries prior to that.

The email consults did give me helpful information and also provided a starting point depending on the response, but meeting the doctors in-person is more helpful of course--they can see and touch your nose and look into it as well.

I felt in my heart before leaving that I would go with Dr. Paik from 101 Plastic Surgery Clinic, but I had time before my appointment (appointments with him should be made ahead of time--he gets booked quickly) so I also visited other doctors/clinics while awaiting my appt. day and time with Dr. Paik.

So while waiting for my appt. with Dr. Paik I also visited:
JW
GNG
Dream
MVP
VIP
Marble
Top Class
I think that's all of them!
:smile:
At Trend I would have needed an interpreter, and I was unable to arrange it in time so I never visited there.
One agency (via email) said they felt they couldn't help me much, but I visited them anyway in person and was told they could help me. So, I advise you to visit all the clinics you are interested in in-person.

I was impressed to varying degrees with all the doctors at these clinics. I didn't dislike any of them and the decor of the clinic doesn't matter to me as long as it's clean and organized, which they all were.

I won't bore you with the details of each doctor's estimation of what my nose needed, since we are each individuals and our noses and tissues are all different in addition to what needs correcting. Re: pricing, at 101, no negotiating is necessary as they don't employ consultants--I only spoke with Dr. Paik and his sweet English interpreter. I have read from others that they give the same prices to foreigners as locals.

I was seeking was as much improvement as my nose would allow. I had a pretty messed-up nose. I've mentioned before, I had rib on my radix/bridge that looked bizarre and too high, very crooked nostril openings (I am tall so they may have been more obvious in my case perhaps), and other unattractive assymetries as well. I was in a head-on car crash decades ago, which started my rhinoplasty journey--it led from a formerly fine-looking nose, to a quite bizarre-looking one that bothered me-- but I tried not to think about it as much as possible, as life goes on--I had to work, finish school, raise my child, and other issues that took precedence over my nose....

Finally, I decided to try and get a normal-looking nose again for myself. The rib had been in there for many years....it was always crooked on one of the edges, and by now, every edge showed clearly, to my dismay.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, ultimately, I went with Dr. Paik--the consult with him pretty much sealed the deal. :smile:He showed me before and after's of other patients with similar issues to mine he had addressed, and additionally, he shared how he had addressed them. He took his time patiently explaining these things, and he spoke good English which was helpful in understanding him. I was there with a family member, and we both felt Dr. Paik to be sincere and very capable. It just felt right.

I had IV/sedation and all went smoothly. I had open rhinoplasty.

I can see with my cast yet on, that my nostril openings (maybe there's a technical word for that I am not sure what it is) look symmetrical now--I'm pretty amazed. My family member said that he could see that during re-tapings, my bridge looked normal, nice and smooth. :smile:

My hair was washed 2 days ago at the clinic, and each time I am at the clinic, there are at least several people there in various stages of recovery from rhinoplasty. Dr. Paik only does one rhinoplasty a day, which I liked as well.

The staff are all professional, efficient, and kind. The clinic is in the Appgujeong-Rodeo area, but the clinic itself is unpretentious and comfortable, not unlike Dr. Paik himself.

I hope this helps someone in their own revision rhinoplasty journey.

Hello @catelet thank you for sharing your journey! I hope you recovering well . sending you healing vibes! I just checked their website but it looked pretty simplified, would you happen to have their kakao/email? If you do could you share with me?
Tbh this is the first time i heard about 101. It's nice to have more options for my research!

Today was wonderful for two reasons: I had another hair wash at the clinic, and.....my cast was removed along with the stitches! I was a bit apprehensive to look at my nose after my past bad experiences, but I had nothing to fear--although my nose is quite swollen, I can honestly say that I love it! :smile: It is so wonderful not to see the rib graft edges (the graft was removed), and my nose looks so much more symmetrical and also more feminine. :heart:

The rib graft removal left a dented area, and so I had dermis placed on the bridge due to that. Dr. Paik and I had discussed that possibility before the surgery, so that was no surprise. I'd also read a lot about dermis from Kcouture's posts, and I was very comfortable with that choice if it was needed in my case.

Also, I had ear cartilage used for a tip graft. I am wearing something in my ear (although the stitches were removed today) due to that which I believe helps the ear holds its shape while healing. The doctor showed me how to remove and clean it, and how to put it back.

Before the surgery, Dr. Paik takes the time to go over your pictures (which he took himself), and discuss your desired changes. He drew on my picture until we both agreed on the proposed changes. This is the same procedure that I read from another patient of Dr. Paik's on this forum. He was meticulous and makes sure you're both on the same page before surgery.

I will go back to see the doctor one more time before leaving SK. I will be a bit sad to leave, as I have really enjoyed my stay here. I'm here with a family member, and we have visited two palaces, the War Museum, the Lotte World Tower and Sky Seoul (wow--don't miss that one!) and much more on top of shopping of course! My family member has gone hiking. It's a beautiful place and the people here are largely very kind. Every time we have even looked lost, someone stops to offer assistance, for example. Also, it's so easy to take a train wherever you need to go, or a bus. We stayed in Dongdaemun actually and enjoyed being one stop from a large supermarket called HomePlus. We took cabs to the clinic after surgery. You can catch a cab almost anywhere, easily--they are very reasonable.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask here or message me and I'll try my best to help.

Wishing everyone the best in their nose journey! :heart: And thank you to everyone who has posted about their own stories---every one of them helped me in one way or another.

I forgot to add that I have seen many lovely results on noses done with rib grafts (such as MissOrange's lovely result by Dr. Ion in London). However, that was not the case for me--I never needed that much augmentation to begin with, so it was overkill from the start.I Just wanted to clarify that.

PS--I am caucasion.

I'm glad everything went smoothly. God bless you and get some much needed rest.

Thanks My Catelet for writing such a sincere experience. Your English is so good I should have asked you to edit my reviews haha

I can testify she is a real patient and that we bumped into each other while I was with my friends consulting for Dr I Soki myself. She asked me if dr Paik was good. And was so worried about finding a good surgeon for her revision for this trip in Korea.

I am glad it all went well and lucky to have met you in person and we kept in touch.
Usually, people chat from purse and then potentially meet one day in korea...hihihi

Happy recovery and don't go back to Korea miss Catelet without us next time if there is a next time ;)

It is funny to know our drs are friends and go out together too ^^

There is this new brand that has been launched this year Klavuu in Myeondong but can order online they had the most amazing mask right now. You can check it out ;) omg we bought 80 of them

I am so glad we met too--what were the chances of meeting in SK by accident?! :P

x

There will be a next time -- I hope to see you again soon!!!!!