BeautyHacker

Zygoma/jaw reduction changes

Has anyone had zygoma/jaw reduction and find that not only they had skin laxity but the look of their eyes has changed? Meaning, my eyes used to be framed by my cheekbones and gave an allure to them...after reduction, it looks sad and an illusion of being pulled down?
I can't wear false lashes anymore because it just seems empty and off.

I hate to say this but I'm pretty devasted I did this. I feel like I'll be spending the rest of my life trying to find ways to tighten my skin and get the look to my eyes back. Honestly, every surgeon has their aesthetics and techniques but none are 100% sure and confident how things will turn out-
A lot has to do with luck-but most importantly, sometimes staying natural is the way to go.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surgery is a huge gamble, there's a 50/50 chance you don't like the effects. Always stop and think long and hard before going through surgery. But don't despair a lot of Korean celebrities look great after zygoma reduction because they do a facelift afterwards. Check out bongqiuqiu a Singaporean blogger who has pictures of her zygoma reduction & facelift before and after on her blog. I read somewhere doctors can't push the cheekbones back out, so another option is for doctors to place cheekbone implants.

The funny thing is, even if I get a lift, it won't be long lasting due to the lost of support. Possible making my face look more flat. Implants has a chance for migration, infection and looking chipmunk like and unnatural. If you notice, most these girls who get zygoma reduction, always look better before surgery.
This surgery only looks good in photos but not in real life.
Surgeons really need to be honest about skin laxity and the changes in the eyes.
There was an article of some Korean clinics that were caught using photoshopped photos or allegedly, hiring models (who never had surgery at the clinic) Used to promote the clinic. Some of these places hire agency to write up glowing reviews. If you want plastic surgery, you really need to ask advice from somebody who doesn't have any monetary interests. I hope my experience help anyone whose thinking about zygoma and jaw. For someone whose been through it--it's really not worth the changes...but you never know until you actually do it :/

If anyone can recommend a reputable and skilled surgeon for a facelift or fat transfer to the cheeks please let me know. I guess I have to take risks--I know facelift will cause some scarring and possible hair lost so I don't know if an endoscopic midface or cheek lift will work? If anyone has gone through this please shed some insight. Thank you...

I agree Madamebutterfly, we should all be careful with facial contouring since once the bone is gone. There's no way to get it back. Most surgeons recommend zygoma reduction with V-line just to get more money. Unless your cheekbone is protruding way past the side of your face. You probably don't need zygoma reduction. But take heart, face lifts with a good doctor should last ten years. Check out this amazing smaslift post's pictures. #

Facelift may help with the soft tissue but it actually makes the face looking flatter because there's no upper face contour. You might need to replace it with fat grafting at the same time. I went from attractive to being an invisible freak with this surgery.

I consulted with a few surgeons. Some said it's not worth pushing the bone back out and some tells me it's possible. I don't know what to believe. I had one surgeon go as far as wanting to do a coronal incision across the head and pull my face down and reposition the bones and pull my muscle up at the same time. That sounds so invasive and barbaric to me. I don't think it's hit that point where I would do something like that

Oh no that's too complex, a facelift would last ten years and should pull up & tighten your muscles, tissue and skin for that Korean celebrity look. But where did you get your zygoma reduction? Have you contacted them and told them you're not satisfied and see if they'll give a revision?

I don't know if you saw my Ct scan in another thread--my cheekbones have diff shapes but I never noticed it that much until I had this surgery. In hindsight I should've be just reduced the more prom cheekbone or just left it alone. I enclosed my Ct scan so you can better understand. You can see the left cheekbones (circled in red) is a few mm lower--but even a few mm makes such a difference. When I pull my skin up its more obvious that the bone sits lower.

Your Ct scans look quite good actually, it doesn't seemed botched at all. If anything all your red circle seems to indicate is slightly more bone than the other side. But it'll hardly be noticeable with your soft tissue over it. Can you post a picture, with your eyes blocked out? Then we might see the issue you're describing better. It is hard for anyone to give an opinion without seeing a face image.

Yes skin covers the skull but when you have fat, skin and muscle shifting downwards causing changes to your eyes bc the skin is falls down without the arch support--There's shadow, hallowness, skin laxity and assymetry that you can't see from a Ct scan. If you have a certain scale of face--reducing width will elonagate it. Hope that helps.

So it's not a botched job from the surgeon you went too. You aren't angry or upset at him. And none of us can give advice just based on the CT scans. All it shows is slight asymmetry. Everyone has asymmetry in our faces, the only way we can comment or give you advice is to see a picture of the zygoma reduction results.

I have pain in my jaw and 2 gaps in my cheekbone that I need to fill with bone graft from my hip bone but revision is expensive which I don't have at his time and my bone healing is poor.

Ct scan and in person is def diff. I'm here to hear about other experiences on how they fix their issues.. notice I never mention surgeon/clinic. Keeping my post on how to fix some of these issues and gaining insight. Not everyone wants to broadcast their face on PF. Thank you:smile:

Again, you can post the same CT scans in ten different posts and no one has commented because they can't comment on slight asymmetry (which everyone has). Also, stop begging to see other people's pictures. They probably want to keep their face private too. You're welcome.

I never beg anyone for their photo. I ask one member if they were willing to share--if not, that's cool because I respect their privacy.

Again, Ct scan is very different then in person. Thats ok if no one can give advice based on my Ct scan--but it was worth the try. It's good to learn from people who has been through the same thing.