BeautyHacker

Zygoma/jaw reduction changes

If you're looking to build the bone back out, there's a clinic called H Plastic Surgery (with website called 3D Fit) in South Korea. Dr. Baek Jung Hwan uses his tech to 3D print a model of the part of your skull you wish to augment and then uses bone cement materials or PMMA to make a custom implant that fits exactly onto your bone. You can watch some of his cases on his Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6d8i9WwIkm161ueFyVU2PA/videos

This is for if you want your bone structure back. From some of the videos, with a pre-surgery CT scan he can mold a custom bone cement implant that will resemble your old bone structure very closely.

From my research (I'm looking to consult with him in July/August to fix some repercussions from corrective jaw surgery), the soft tissue changes won't be as predictable though. Especially in the cheek bone area. Just because you add the bone back, doesn't mean any sagging will be lifted. It might, but there's no guarantee. Because an implant will push the soft tissue and skin laterally, not upwards.

Soft tissue changes might have to be dealt with fat grafting or a cheeklift of some sort.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dr. Baek Jung Hwan also does hydroxyapatite cheekbone implants for patients with non union. The material is supposed to promote bone growth. If you don't want to augment the shape, then I think he can mold one onto your 3D printed cheekbone model without adding much projection at all.

But because 3D printing is expensive, I assume his procedures would also be expensive.

I don't have a consultation planned with him just yet, but if you are interested I can help you know more about it when the time comes. It is a bit harder because the clinic has like virtually no international marketing and I don't even think there's a translator there.

• 1 month later...
I'm sorry about what you're going through. I had jaw reduction too and it was unsuccessful. Please don't waste your time talking to people that doesn't know what they're talking about and shows no respect and empathy. You don't have to post your face pic here. I'm not a professional, but I've viewed a lot of CT scans while doing research. I do see your left zygoma is lower, and yes, a few mm definitely makes a noticeable difference. I don't mean to hurt your feelings, but the location of your osteotomy is different on both sides, the osteotomy on the left side is too far outward, and the gap is very wide. If you are ever going under the knife again, I think you should bring your zygoma gap closer. Please don't do bone grafting, it has the highest rate of bone resorption.

there is actually a gap between the front cheek fractures on both sides. They didn’t secure the front bones well. This is why the gap is formed, which is from bone resorption. This explains why your face has the droopy effect.
The back wasn’t secured well enough either and luckily bone resorption hasn’t occurred yet.
Sorry if this makes you feel bad, it’s better to point it out to you so you won’t be fooled by those doctors... if they say it looks fine, I’m sure they just find excuses to not admit their fault.

i understand why they removed partial of the front bone. But the right technique is to secure them closely still with pins, not with a gap like that. If it was done right, the cheek would still be reduced and the skin would actually be pulled upward, thus making your skin tighter.

Unfortunately, my surgeon wasn't honest about his skills and has left me to fiend for myself. I won't get deep into details but there's an underlying corruption to all of this.

At this point I'm not 100% certain how I'll be able to fix this or who to trust for revision. I pray that I'll be able to get my confidence back and go on with life.

I’m sorry this happened to you and I don’t know that much korean to research more into this topic. Like they mentioned above, it seems like Dr. Baek from H clinic does more revisions. Just YouTube him and you’ll see many videos about fixing poor cheekbone/ jaw reduction procedures.

@Madambutterfly89 , I'm sorry this happened to you. Have you considered fixing the zygoma with titanium screws so there is no gap, and full face fat graft first before bone grafting? Facial fat can lift sagging skin. And also SMAS facelift. I have read of people's experience doing these procedures to correct sagging after bone reduction surgeries, and it seems successful.
Bone grafting seems like a gamble, as others have said , it can push the skin and soft tissue laterally instead of upwards, and it ended not helping the sagging at all. It might be best to consider bone augmentation as a last resort.

Please don't feel discouraged by some rude comments here. They have not experienced what you went through and therefore don't have the right to judge

Hi pear.

In order to fix my gap, I would need bone graft. Unless, I reduce my cheekbones even more to close the gap-which would be aesthetically unpleasing and further the sagging. I should've never had the surgery when my surgeon requested I take X-rays rather then a full face Ct scan. I honestly don't feel like he even looked at them but operated blindly. The cut in my cheekbones are uneven and he almost hit my nerve along my jaw. There was just no surgical planning and care going into it. He winged it and it shows.

Oh sorry I had not considered that aspect when making the suggestion. It looks like bone grafting is the way to go then. I wish you the best of luck for your revision