BeautyHacker

Zygoma/jaw reduction changes

Please don’t do it. I regret it everyday :sad: my cheekbones wasn’t even protruding - I had lost weight so my temples and cheeks looked hollow. I made the drastic decision to go under the knife and it was the biggest mistake of my life. I should have just got a fat graft. I now spend all of my time researching how to undo this mess. It’s consumed me. I hope someone can learn from my terrible mistake.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will PM you the clinic I went to. They were completely unethical and pushed surgeries that I did not need.

I understand your pain so well. This is exactly what I've been going through for over a year. For all the girls out there, please be careful with zygoma reduction or any bone reduction surgery. It's not worth the risks. There's sagging, nerve damage, so much more they dont tell you. It doesn't just take 6 months to recover but YEARS. You have to be sure 100% you'll like the outcome because it's impossible to reverse.

Yeah I'm leaning against zygoma now - I just wanted to fix asymmetry and reduce one cheekbone to be the same size as the other. I do have actually really prominent cheekbones (I'm ethnically 100% Korean so we're talking big lol, think of those before pics of Korean patients that a lot of these clinics use). I've seen some pics from people here who got cheekbones reduced where they already have really small cheekbones to start with. But it sounds like the risk might not be worth it after all.

I really do want to get at least my mandibles reduced though. They're really big and square and stand out both sideways and frontal view. I'm going to be as diligent as possible with consultations and err on the side of conservatism. Honestly, I'm willing to deal with some sagging via nonsurgical treatments afterwards because I've wanted this surgery for over 10 years now and I've already done botox multiple times to reduce the masseter muscle.

Do you think it's possible if I do all my research very carefully and pick a surgeon that is reputable with a conservative approach, that I could have a good result? I'm getting worried, especially since I am planning to go alone. There is a certain amount of risk one can't avoid, but I'm wondering if the nature of FC surgeries is just fundamentally destined for bad long-term consequences or if it's a matter of a small minority of botched jobs, with the vast majority turning out well?

Please believe me when I tell you, just avoid ALL FC surgeries. I wish someone had told me this before I went to Korea. Your bone structure upholds your soft tissues, skin and muscles. You need them to be a certain size to hold your face in place and prevent the tissues from drooping faster than they would through aging. There's too many risks...of things the doctors won't even tell you about. Its' such a shady business. I have spoken to many, many girls who regret FC surgeries, especially zygoma reduction. Once you cut the bone, it's gone. Your tissues will scar too and that's going to accelerate aging too because scarred tissues aren't as elastic and won't have the same collagen as before. I'm not anti-PS. I've done FC myself and am suffering the ramifications of it since day 1. My face will never be the same and I have to deal with the consequences on a daily basis. I'm too traumatized to fix things because I could make it worst. There's no going back once you do it. And, if you're trying to be conservative, then it wouldn't make sense to alter your face for a minor change anyways.

Tread carefully...I think all types of other surgeries, such as nose jobs, breast implants...those are manageable if they go wrong. You can redo. But, once the bone is gone from FC , it's gone forever. There's no turning back and there's a 50/50 likelihood you won't like the outcome. So don't take that risk unless you're deformed or ridiculously asymmetric. Don't make the mistakes I made. It literally ruined my life.

It’s interesting that we have so many people starting new threads sharing about their ‘successful’ FC experiences with so and so Clinic, but none is affirming his/her wonderful surgery result here? Hmm...

I’m 3 years post-op and I considered my surgeries fairly successful. Even under the hands of the most experienced surgeon, bone reduction surgeries carry a lot of risks. My eyes are ok, there‘s not much sagging and I like my new face shape. Even then, I do have one flat area near my jawline where the bone was taken out, and my lower lip and chin remain numb till this day.

I belong to the category where I don’t need bone reduction surgery but went ahead to get it anyway. So far I’ve not really heard of a 100% successful case. Most need fats graft or thread lifts after FC, or have varying degree of numbness. There are other side effects which the rest have mentioned in this thread. That said, it’s your face, your decision to make. Good luck!

Thank you, it's really good to hear that despite a few side effects, you're overall happy with the results and find the risk was personally worth it. That's kind of where it's coming down to for me, I'm obviously still going to do my due diligence with consultations: background checking clinics, doctors, etc. but there's still a certain amount of significant risk that I'm willing to accept.

This isn't something trivial that I'm doing on a whim, I've wanted this surgery since I was around 15 or so (I'm in my mid-twenties now) and it hasn't wavered despite all the growth I've attained in terms of self esteem and confidence.

I will definitely aim for a conservative approach, maybe even just the mandible reduction (no vline) and definitely not doing cheekbones now at all.

With the numbness, does it get in the way during your day to day life (like eating or talking)? Also, how numb is it? Is it like 0 sensation in the lower lip and chin (like a local anesthetic almost or a numbing cream) or is it more like slightly dulled ability to feel in that area?

Thank you!

Sunnydahye (love her lots!) does have noticeable sagging from FC:
[​IMG]
Not the best screenshots but when she's moving live in action, it's a lot more clear. She's young but already with this sagging, it's a wild reminder that time will never stops ticking. Aka, the side effects will only get wilder. Please be very careful. I haven't had any FC procedures myself but I've seen way too many negative results. Sometimes it's even positive until years later when the sagging shows up. I mean check this out from just a couple weeks back. From everything I've learned, sagging will 100% occur with FC procedures, it's just the severity and timing of it that is unpredictable.

That being said, I get ya. I'm the type to take some risks too if it would potentially means an amazing result. Just make sure to read up a lot about this topic before you make any big decisions. Best of luck :smile:

It feels like having cotton permanently stuffed in your mouth at the chin. There’s a constant ‘stuffed’ pressure, 24/7. I can’t speak as well as I used to, but it’s hardly noticeable, so it’s fine for me. However, I imagine it could be serious for someone whose profession involves a lot of talking e.g. teacher, public speaker, etc. . There’s still sensation in my lower lip and chin, but dulled, sometimes I couldn’t tell when soup has trickled down or rice stuck on my chin. I don’t like scale... it’s too subjective... No problem chewing or swallowing though.

If you google the anatomy of the face, you can see so many facial nerves - big and small, and you’ll appreciate how dangerous jaw reduction/vline is. Not saying everyone will get side effects, but they are very real and very common. I do agree SK PS often downplay the risks.

Hmm... I recently shared my successful FC exp too, but I’m only 1 month post op and haven’t seen any negative side effects yet but it’s way too early to come in threads like this to affirm anything. People sharing here are years post op.

For the last question, I think it’s up to you to decide. I recently did mine despite all the warnings, but because I was very certain about my problem. Almost half or 2/3 of the botched/unhappy cases are of people who didn’t need it/have false expectation about it. I don’t know if I’ll regret in 2-3 years, but for now, looking at my own photos the night pre op, I felt like it was a right choice.
So if you still want to do it, just do your research carefully, understand if you really need, understand the risks, and maybe expect the best but be prepared for the worst :smile:. I always think of PS as an improvement for my current face, not a change of face. Some of my friends are disappointed simply because they don’t come out of the surgery looking like someone else they wanted, and I don’t think it’s the right mindset to do plastic surgery.

• 1 month later...
Thanks for this thread, and everyone for sharing your experiences. I did rhino 5 years back, and at that time I thought I'd never do PS again - but here I am again now looking into FC procedures.

I'm similar to o_0h in that I have wide cheekbones and a wide jaw. The wide jaw has been helped with botox over the years. At first, I was only researching mandible reductions because I too like my cheekbones. But after sending my pictures for consultation I started to feel like maybe I need a zygoma reduction too. Will try to get the opinion of a local surgeon before I continue researching further.

And my fingers are crossed for MadameButterfly and for soyamilk!