BeautyHacker

My Two Jaw Surgery and V-line at ID Hospital

Hello I'm baaaack!

I just want to check in and update you guys. I am now 10 days post op. I had my two jaw surgery and V-line at ID Hospital July 5 with Dr. Lee Seok Jae.

Pre Surgery day:
So, I was informed not to eat and drink anything after midnight. I took my last meal around 5pm, and instead of eating something very very delicious like it will be my last meal I opt to eat something healthy like fish and vegetables (choose white meat instead of fatty red meat). I avoided anything oily and fatty. I have read an article that it is best to avoid that type of food before surgery because it will be good for recovery. I stopped drinking water at 10pm. I made sure I have my protein shake, water, juice, yogurt drinks, and pumpkin juice ready for me for after surgery.

Surgery day:
My surgery time is 10am but I have to be there at 9am because the doctor will meet me again before the surgery which was nice. We went over the surgery plan one last time and he asked me if I have any more questions or concerns he asked if I was nervous and he just made me feel that everything will be ok. He said the first night will be tough but it will get better. In my case, he had to tie my teeth because my bone was thin and for my safety, he suggested to not do no-tie surgery for me which I was ok with. The translator was there the whole time and they guided me on what to do. I changed my clothes and I was ready for surgery. When I walked into the surgery room there were at least 3 nurses or surgical assistant as far as i can remember and the anesthesiologist. I didn't feel nervous or scared because they look so prepared and they were gentle with me and probably because I already trust my doctor (I think it is so important to build that trust and relationship between the patient and doctor). I laid down and then the next thing I know is I hear the nurse's voice waking me up hehe. All done! I think it took 3-4 hours

Post-Op:
I was transferred to the ward and the nurses were so prompt and efficient in changing my ice pack and whenever I hit the call light button they were there right away. The doctor came to visit me just to check how I was doing and he again explained what to expect especially the first night. He wasn't kidding. The first night was tough. I can't drink any liquid because I still have a drainage tube in my mouth. I also have an airway tube in my nose. It was hard to breathe because of the bleedy nose and secretions in my mouth. the nurses were there to clean and change the gauze in my nose and mouth and kept me clean. They also suctioned the secretions to help me with my breathing. I was scared because I have no one with me but when I called the nurse and held her hand I told her to please stay with me for a moment because I was scared and she did. I asked her to not close my door and for some reason, I was really hot and I asked the nurses to change the temperature so many times (I felt like I was very needy but they were nice). To my surprise they brought a fan inside my room which i really appreciate because it shows how much they care and they just wanted me to be comfortable. My advice would be to focus on your BREATHING. it is so important to do right after the surgery. The next day they removed the tube in my nose and the doctor removed the drainage tube in my mouth. After that everything felt so much better. They continued to monitor me until I can walk on my own. I was good at changing my ice pack and walking around the ward. I also washed my mouth every hour or two.
To my surprise: they brought a deswelling treatment light and mask and I got treatment twice during my stay in my room. (i didn't expect that which was nice).
Discharge day: The doctor came in to check me before discharge and then the nurse explained where to get my prescriptions. They also gave me a care packet with skincare and mask that will help for deswelling. they gave me my compression band and extra ice pack to take home. The nurse was so cute she said I did so well and as she said goodbye to me she hugged me and walked me to the elevator.

At the hotel:
I made sure that i follow the routine that i have been doing in the hospital when i was back in my hotel. I set alarm for all my medications and I made sure that I drink water, pumpkin juice, and a protein shake. Every time I drink something I made sure to wash and gargle my mouth right way. This is very important if you want to heal properly and recover well take these steps seriously. I think after two days I had to go back for a deswelling treatment and then doctors check up and then treatment again.

I am on my 10th day right now as I'm writing this and I have some photos to share my progress.
I wanted to share my experience with you guys and my journey because I know how it feels to look for credible reviews and to have someone to answer your questions or just to find something that can help you get an idea of the process. Overall, I am so happy because they definitely exceeded my expectations. (Thanks to the bad reviews or negative comments) I didn't expect so much I was happy with my doctor and he definitely gained my trust and everything else was a plus! I was so grateful for the way the nurses cared for me and the staff, it was a complete package!!! Ahhh I can't express how happy I am and I can say that this is one of the best decisions I have made in my life. SOOO WORTH IT!!! I can't wait to see the end result. I can already tell the difference and sometimes I just wake up andIi can't believe my bite is fixed and i look much better. Still swollen but its a process. hehehe Im still washing my mouth every 2 hours and everytime i drink something. This week my stitches will be removed. :smile: Il try to go back here and update you guys when i can. I hope this helps.

This is from Day of Surgery to 10th-day post-op.
IMG_4180.JPG IMG_4061.JPG Here is a picture of me before the surgery. Excuse my swollen cheeks hehe this photo was taken 8 day post-op.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,
I went by myself. After surgery I stayed in the hospital for two nights and the nurses there were really nice and very professional I'm a nursing student so I love observing them. They took care of me pretty well they are prompt to check on you whenever you needed them. Honestly, on the second day i can move on my own. Initially, I was going to use docfinder korea but I decided to just do it on my own I got cheaper quote hehe. I'm happy with my decision and so so happy with my results. hehehe that hospital is a one stop shop everything is in that building. for my surgery i had to wear wafer (like a retainer) so i had to go to their dental floor. They provide complete test prior to surgery. Just yesterday I went to their beautyplex are for fillers. I will share my filler experience too maybe il post pictures here too. What surgeries are you planning to get done?

I have facial asymmetry and a crossbite. I need double jaw surgery. I contacted a couple clinics but I read so many bad reviews on all of them, so then I decided to contact Seoul National University Dental Hospital (SNUDH) and Yonsei Severance Dental Hospital but both hospital jaw surgery process takes so long: SNUDH said 6 weeks after consultation and Severance said 6 months. I was getting ready to book my tickets for an appointment at SNUDH but they stopped emailing me for some reason... and Severance seemed to not want me as a patient because they quoted me 6 months to 1 year and other people on this forum got quoted 6 weeks. My facial asymmetry is not that bad... it's really only visible in photos... so I'm in no rush i guess. I was also in contact with Medictel (a medical tourism company) because I'm afraid of traveling alone in Seoul and plus I wanted a tour and i like the services they provide.

Ohh sorry to hear that. Well, I can only speak on what I have experienced and I am happy to share what I know based on what I've been through. Looking for a place for this surgery is challenging and overall overwhelming. I didn't just wake up one day and decided I'm going to do this surgery. It took me years to finally go through with it. I went with Dr. Lee Seok Jae at ID Hospital and I highly recommend him he is a maxillofacial surgeon. I know ID Hospital specializes in bone structures and facial contouring but literally, that hospital has everything you need. I am on my third week postop from two jaw and vline. What i told my doctor is to make sure my vline is not too "V" i want it to look natural and that is what exactly he gave me. I will insert my photos 13 days after surgery. my cheeks are still swollen but definitely better compared to last week hehe. 3ECEA937-AA40-4797-BC82-6E3297AD167F.jpg 8mhQKFhJRueV8pRlNyVwAA.jpg

Your results are really great! I will now consider ID for a consultation. Medictel also told me that they are known for double jaw surgery, but again I was worried of the negative comments. If you don't mind, can I ask you a couple questions:
Did you have the "no-tie double jaw surgery" and the "surgery-first orthognathic surgery"?
Will you need braces after this surgery?
A couple of people on purseforum had mentioned that the surgery-first approach has left them with their bottom teeth showing more than their upper teeth... what is your experience, is your bottom or top teeth showing more? how is you smile?
Thank you

Hello,

Ahhh thank you so much! I am sooo happy too! It just gets better everyday. and Ofcourse!! just ask anything and i will try to answer it the best i can, based on what i have learned and experienced. It’s true ID is known for face contouring and two jaw, and I know exactly how you feel!!!! So, i was really decided on doing this surgery this year because I’m a nursing student and I am graduating soon. I have this month to spare before i will get busy again for school. When i finally decided to go with ID, i watched almost all the videos, read all the reviews i could possibly read (Overwhelming), plus engaging with others who is planning to have a surgery and also reached out to whoever i can speak to that had the same surgery at ID. You can see a lot of negativity around this surgery in general, but the truth is when i did my research you will notice that those negative comments where outdated and there is a lot of competition here that you almost always see someone badmouthing big hospitals. So, i did more research and found an article from NCBI (National Center for Biotechnology Information) a part of United States National Library of Medicine. Credible and is a good resource when it comes to medical stuff. I use it in school when i we do evidence based researches. Two jaw is a common procedure that’s been around for many years and is done all over the world i just think korea is really the best place to go. I felt comfortable with ID and especially my doctor because when i did my research I have learned that doctor’s there really puts time and effort to advanced their knowledge and skills and they even published a book to share all the knowledge about it and they perform symposiums to teach about all of this stuff. To answer your question about no tie or tie, In my case my doctor had to tie because of my bone. my bone is thin than its a safe approach to do tie for me. I had braces before but braces never fixed my bite and trust me i had a couple orthodontist in US and did braces twice and in my mind I just want them to recommend surgery but in US unless your case is really bad thats the only time the insurance will cover surgery. I have to do braces after because i have gaps in my teeth. Dr. Lee also fixed the positioning of my upper teeth mine was slightly slanted upward before and he fixed that too. Before i had edge to edge bite now the upper teeth is in front and lower at the back. So, the doctor will analyze your case but i think if they can do no tie for you it will be their first approach. I love my smile!!! I still have elastics in my mouth right now but i can already tell the difference il post a picture which you can see the difference if you look at my lips and chin and the way i smile but im a bit swollen still i just had my surgery 3 weeks ago hehe.

Two jaw surgery like any other surgeries has risk factors. That is why it is important to know your overall health condition. They will perform blood test, CT, XRAY, cardiogram. It is also important to prepare for your surgery like when I know il have my surgery soon I started eating healthy, stopped your birth control at least a week or two prior your surgery, let the doctors know if you are taking any medications. Those are important.

This will explain how we should analyze each cases regarding two jaw as the author said "This erroneous negative perception of orthognathic surgery was established due to the many media reports of serious complications, such as mortality. To correct and improve the public awareness for orthognathic surgery, it is important to meticulously analyze such cases."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5104877/

Also, Surgery First approach is performed because "It has been shown that during healing process after orthognathic surgery, there is an increase in blood flow above the presurgical levels which facilitates the healing process and stimulates bone turnover that can potentially speed up orthodontic tooth movement.[13,14] Treatment time as short as 7 months have been reported in the literature.[9] Bypassing presurgical orthodontics results in an overall shortened treatment time up to 1–1.5 years or less"
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4314839/

HOPE THIS HELPS!!! :smile:

Thanks so much for answering my questions! Yes your smile is a lot nicer! I like how your chin is shorter now and looks more unified with the rest of your jaw lol.
That's so funny I'm kinda in the same situation.. I'm a nursing student here in the US too.. I live in NY.. Unfortunately for me though I started looking into getting my surgery in Korea too late for me to get the surgery before school starts in September. I really wish I could get it but I don't know how soon ID would be able to make an appointment for me... we'll see. How was the travel for you? It would take me 14 hours to get there... yeeeesh.. I hate flying.

This is exactly the result I'm looking for. You look amazing! I will be waiting for your new updates and thanks for sharing such a detailed review. :heart:

Yesss! I got vline with my two jaw and asked the doctor to make it

Yesss! I got vline with my two jaw and asked the doctor to make it natural because I don't like it too pointy. Im really happy with the results Dr. Lee Seok Jae gave me. Why don't you message them and ask they are very helpful. They will provide answers to all your questions. Then you can atleast plan ahead. I've messaged them a couple times before I finally got the time and then I messaged them again. If you have anymore questions im just here. I would love to follow your journey too!

ohhh yay! I'm so excited for you. I remember how I felt when I finally scheduled my consultation and I had to book my flight to Korea. It was the best feeling and I felt like dreaming because I can't believe its happening. lol.

Thank you! I'm getting there, I can't wait for my cheeks to get smaller hehe.