BeautyHacker

My Two Jaw Surgery and V-line at ID Hospital

waaaa you are nursing student too! You will definitely enjoy the whole journey lol. I remember my first night I remember just watching my vitals and whenever my O2 stat goes down to 95% I would focus on breathing again i want it to go back up to 99% lol. It's amazing to watch the nurses there, they are always moving and charting. The night shift nurses would always look for something to do it doesn't matter if it's cleaning, organizing, prepping. I'm like wow they are so hardworking they don't just sit around and wait for a patient to press the call light. They inspired me to be like that someday. lol How far along are you now in the program?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm an LPN nurse now and we stay busy just like that lol. I have one more year and I can't wait to be finished. I say to myself if i can't get the surgery this summer... it will be a nice graduation gift for myself next summer lol :smile:

awww! maybe cuz I’ve been to a place and observed some people are not like that. I love watching nurses and surgeons the way they care because i’m learning hehehe. There you go!!! thats a good plan! i’m planning to come back next year for BA lol maybe. we’ll see. I’ve convinced myself that that will be my graduation gift lol! we graduate almost the same time!!!! were almost there! yaay! i can’t wait!

aww cool! after all that hard work in school it'll rewarding to give yourself a gift.
That'd be so cool if we would meet while in Seoul.. I was looking around travel medical tourism companies and they even offer group traveling lol! :biggrin: that's good for a chicken like me lol.. my family really is against me getting double jaw surgery.. so they don't want to come with me.. but i bet if i plan it for next summer my plans will be more organized and maybe someone will be available to come along with me. Im still pushing for this summer though lol

How long does it take for cheeks to get smaller btw? Are there any recommendations on how to speed it up?

well, it really depends some people deswell quick some don’t. But recommendation is to continue warm compress and walk.

Hello everyone!

It's been exactly 25 days post-surgery. I can now easily change my elastic bands and swelling has gone down quite a bit. Sensation around my cheeks, chin, and jaw area are starting to come back. I am still on a soft food diet but I can eat better and I can talk now even with my wafer and elastic bands. Also, i just wanted to share that being on a plane will be a little bit challenging, at least for me, I only ate the soft scrambled eggs and mashed potato and I had to give away or just waste the rest of the food :sad: Everytime I ate something I would go to the restroom to brush my teeth and make sure I have a clean mouth since my flight was 12-13 hours. It's so important to keep your mouth clean! So, it depends if you are sitting next to the window or aisle, you might have to let the person next to you know that you will have to get up a couple of times. hehe. I'll have my dental appointment next week to start my braces and the last set of external screws will be finally removed. Yaay! I'm so excited. Here are my pics :smile: Some of the people that I met on the group chat and here on PF would send me messages for questions and guidance on what I did and my experience. I am so happy to be able to help and share my experience. I am so happy to meet people going through the same situation or people that would like to know how to prepare for this surgery. If you have any questions I am happy to help just ask away and il try to get back as soon as I can hehe. Facetune_26-07-2019-12-47-43.jpg fullsizeoutput_44b4.jpeg

Hey. Can i ask how long did you wear elastic band and if it was 24hr?

Hello there!

I was wearing a smaller band for two weeks (that is when i can't eat and speak because i can't open my mouth) and then my last appointment with my doctor before leaving Korea, he changed it to a bigger band so I can open my mouth more, I'm able to speak. They showed me how to remove and replace the band. I can remove it when I eat and then I have to make sure that I replace the band at night. I will wear it until I get my braces next week. I usually change the band at night and in the morning and when I eat. Hope this helps!

Hi thanks for answer. I do not understand exactly what you mean :sad: so you still wear it 24h with break for eating or just at night? From when you started to wear it only at night?

Hello,

So when I had my surgery my teeth had to be tied. There were 8 external screws on my gums. When my drainage tube was removed the wires were changed to a tight elastic band so I'm not able to open my mouth. After two weeks the elastic band was replaced with a bigger elastic band/looser elastic band so I was able to open my mouth and talk. They showed me how to replace the elastic bands because I can remove it every time I eat and I have to change it every night. Here is a picture of what it looks like. rPnuPxjPRhedEhyd47abaw.jpg

Hi NalieD!

I just want to give you an update about my smile. You asked before how's my smile after surgery. It's almost a month after my surgery, and my smile with teeth showing is much better now! :smile: It was difficult to smile with my teeth showing after surgery because of the incision I was afraid to stretch my mouth too much hehe. but here is my smile with my teeth showing. Also, my last set of external screws will be removed in a couple of days and I will start my braces. :smile:7FD7F5CC-8C06-434C-B74D-F76E0E602763.jpg

Hellooo there!

No not at all, I didn’t feel pain but the first night was really uncomfortable because of the airway tube in my nose and the drainage. The nurses were really helpful they were constantly changing my ice pack and making sure i was comfortable. After surgery you feel really cold then i felt really hot after so i asked the nurse to change the temperature they were so nice to me they gave me a fan lol. I was really grateful for how they took care of me It really made difference. I would recommend to focus on your breathing because its tough at first and then you will learn to adjust. The second day they removed the drainage and airway tube and everything felt better after that. When are you having your surgery? Im excited for you! Its all worth it! Im so much happier. :smile: