BeautyHacker

Genioplasty US or Korea?

Hi Guys,

I figured I'd introduce myself. I'm 34 years old Asian woman. I only found out about my weak chin 2 years ago from an orthodontist who suggested jaw surgery. I was going for it so I started braces. Man it was unbearable and my smiling lines are deeper, my temple area sucken. So I had it taken out after one month, and started researching for a good surgeon to do genioplasty. 

I figured this is a safe place for me to include doc's name. I'm in Canada, so I interviewed a few doctors and decided on Dr. Wittenberg from Vancouver, he is a maxillofacial surgeon as well as a plastic surgeon. I however canceled my surgery (lost my deposit) because I found out on one RealSelf review, the patient had really negative experience, and then connected with over five patients who had some problems. I also found out about the multiple lawsuits against him (I'm not sure if that's usual among plastic surgeons, please enlighten me). That scared the shit out of me, and I don't know if this is biased, but when I start REALLY reading in between the lines of his review, a lot of them seemed fake to me, please enlighten me on this about Realself reviews. 

I was so overwhelmed and don't know who I can trust where I can go do my research and was beyond happy to find this forum.  

Now I'm back on researching again. I found a New York Oral and maxillofacial surgeon by the name of Dr. Manjid Jamali, he seemed to have great reviews on RealSelf, but I don't know how much I can trust those reviews any more. I go by if the reviewer has pictures and had multiple posts, I'd trust it more but if the post was the only one the reviewer had then I question it. Also, Dr. Jamali's reviews on yelp and zocdoc are most about wisdom teeth removal, so I'm not sure again. 

I found out The Face Dental on RealSelf and Purseforum, Dr. Lee didn't claim his RealSelf profile, does it then mean he wasn't marketing on it at least, which is a good thing? 

I'm Asian I don't know if it makes a difference to find a doctor who does a lot of Genioplasty on Asian, or it is essentially by a universal proportion. I can't wait to find out more and learn more from this wonderful, safe, honest forum, and I'm sure it will also benefit others who were looking for similar procedures. 

Cheers!

• Like 2

Welcome to Beauty Hacker, and we all hope to help each other get good information.

I've come across some information on Dr. Wittenberg he seems qualified and competent to perform a genioplasty. In terms of being Asian vs Caucasian, a surgeon like Wittenberg would have a range of diverse patients by practicing in Vancouver, so would New York's Jamali. In terms of proportions, any qualified surgeon with an eye for facial aesthetics will know the right proportions for a genioplasty, which is one of the more straight forward facial contouring procedures. 

There are a lot of benefits to getting treatment at home or closer to home instead of going abroad. The standards of care and legal systems afforded to you by North America will be more easy to navigate.

Let's hope you never have to do this, but would you rather sue a Canadian / US surgeon or a Korean surgeon? 

I would say its best to go with your guy, but when it comes to legitimacy of reviews you have to use your discretion, even on RealSelf. 

Korean sales and marketing staff are notorious for posting fake reviews on RealSelf and purse forum, the latter was once the home to many of us experienced surgery veterans. But now purse forum is an untrustworthy source for plastic surgery information. And that's why many of us came together to make a forum that blocks Korean registrations entirely (Beauty Hacker).

Usually smaller maxillofacial clinics such as Dr Lee (Face Dental) and Dr Yoon (EverM) have authentic reviews from real people, they are not really the type of clinics who play these sort of review marketing games, but with that said, you might have to be weary of clinics who might also do smear campaigns against smaller and authentically reviewed clinics out of jealously. But don't worry, none of that mess will happen here. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kino, Thank you so much for your reply. Yes, the Korean marketing scams really scared me away for many many years. I started revisiting it out of desperation for finding a solid doctor. I am in that phase where I'm over alerted and everything seems fishy for me. I would love to read more REAL reviews here. I think it's "korean" focused here but I hope it's ok for me to bring up North American surgeons as well. In terms of techniques, is it fair to say North America has the most advanced training? But maybe Korean surgeons have more advantage in terms of volumn and experiences.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...