BeautyHacker

My experience with DocfinderKorea and Banobaji

Would you say that DocfinderKorea is worth it? I heard that hiring these kinds of services with translators will intentionally inflate your prices to get commissions.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before I decide on DF, I actually asked for quotations directly from the clinics. There're very little price difference between the clinics and DF. That's why I engage DF. When I met Chloe face to face, I still get at least 10% discount from the clinic. Shin even helps to bargain and make sure that she's not over charging. I don't think with DF the prices are inflated, but I can't say for the rest of the translators. I think DF is worth it because of other value added services like transport, advice, follow-up with clinics. I'm not sure if I can say this, but seeing me still light-headed from the anesthesia, Shin offered to pay for my medicine at the pharmacy!

In short, yes, it's worth using legit facilitators. But I don't know about docfinder, I can't vouch for them because I don't know what kind of operation they're running. Technically they're an indirect competitor to my startup, but they're more of a traditional agency, and I'm more of an online platform, like RealSelf meets Uber of Korean plastic surgery.

When you use illegal brokers, who usually pose as freelance translators, that's when your price gets inflated. They ask for over 30% sometimes 500%.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgOq2R_swfo

Example:

Let's say your nose looks like the photo below, also known as a hook nose, and you never had rhinoplasty before. It's bit of an involved procedure: open rhinoplasty + osteotomy (bone cutting) + septoplasty + tip plasty.

[​IMG]

According to the Korean Ministry of Health, the average international patient price will be between:

$3,600 (low end) ~ $5,500 (high end)

If you can afford the range above, then using a licensed medical tour facilitator, assuming they are ethical and legit, will not, and should not change the price.

Meaning, if you email Clinic X, and they say $3,800, and then you go through a facilitator, it should still be $3,800. If you go direct, you might be able bargain it down more.

A facilitator or agency can actually bargain for you because they can work with your budget, have relationships and direct lines of contact that patients don't have.

A lot of patients and clinics like working with legit facilitators because they're easier to deal with. That's why clinics pay referral and commission fees to them because the clinic is essentially outsourcing and offloading all that admin work and back and forth communication they would have to do with the patients to the agency instead. This is called patient case management in the medical field.

-----

Your time and peace of mind is worth something, a lot actually.

What a lot of people forget, and I know I did when I first began my PS journey, is that your time and peace of mind is worth something, a lot actually.

I've seen people spend 1+ year, hours a day, obsessing and digging through forum threads, using google translate, stressing out, compiling complex research, spreadsheets, doing a lot of back and forth (I did this too), struggling to get appointments, etc... They come out here and now have to consult and haggle, figure out how to get out and about in Seoul, and they still pay the normal prices. When all is said and done, a lot of them are not satisfied and didn't get the results they wanted. A lot of this is due to miscommunication and mismanaged expectations.

Doing the math

Let's say from beginning to end, you spent: 300 hours dealing with all of the above.

Let's place a value on your your time of $5 per hour (I'm being conservative, I hope it's worth a lot more): $5 X 300 = $1,500.

Direct:

Quoted Treatment Price = $3,800 (Avg =$3,600 ~ $5,500)

Now let's say you pay $3,500 if you go direct and do all of the above research and stress, and also bargain.

$3,800 (treatment) + $1,500 (time & effort) - $300 (discount from bargaining) = $4,800

Facilitator

Quoted Treatment Price = $3,800 (Avg =$3,600 ~ $5,500)

Let's say the facilitator brings the price down to $3,500 and reduces your planning and researching to 20 hours.

$3800 (treatment) + $100 (time & effort) - $300 (discount from facilitator) = $3,600.

The Total Cost

If you don't factor all that time and effort. You technically paid the same = $3,500.

If you factor it in, then you saved $1,200 and also gained a bunch of extra value, maybe that value is worth $500.

Value and extras: you have a local expert helping you, you get priority appointments, you just message one person to manage or change your whole schedule, and they're like a supportive rent a friend to keep you company, check in on you, and ask if there is anything you need, and can help you get it.

Tips if people want to use a facilitator.

- Make sure they're licensed and legit
- Tell them your goals and budget, and which clinics you want, or what they recommend.
- Be reasonable, if you're looking for bargain basement floor prices, you'll get what you pay for.
- Don't double book, meaning don't do direct first and then flip flop to a facilitator or vice versa. It makes things confusing for all parties.
- It's a red flag if the prices are above the average ranges.
- If they discredit a clinic you were leaning towards, tell them to explain why. I had a patient want a procedure at Sky, he went direct and was quoted an amazing to good to be true deal. He asked for us to show him alternatives, the prices were doubled. When he asked why and if we're playing favorites, or overcharging we showed him average prices and also shared these two articles about the clinic he wanted, which might explain why their prices are so low: Sky 1 | Sky 2 (Who knows we probably saved him from a more costly mistake)

If this is all true, then why aren't more people on here using facilitators?

Some people just don't know and assume it costs more or didn't do the math. Also, just like shady and crooked hospitals/doctors, there are also shady facilitators. One bad egg can ruin the reputation of other good ones. For purseforum it was freelance translators in the 2012~2014 years, and homestay operators.

Also a lot of people on forums become hooked to that stressful research process I described above, and actually crave it. It makes them feel a sense empowerment and escape, like an addiction. They enjoy being in groups with anonymous strangers, helping others on chatting apps and online communities to plan their procedures. It's like a pastime or hobby, like collecting stamps and sharing it with the group and earning kudos and points for finding a hidden gem, so it makes them feel good. If that sounds strange, you have to remember it's plastic surgery, and it tends to be emotional and attract people with a wide range of emotions.

If this describes you, then using a facilitator is probably not your thing. You're more of a cosmetic surgery community enthusiast and not a traditional medical tourist who just wants to get treated and move on with their life. I'm an enthusiast who wants to help medical tourists who don't have the time, energy or interest to be an enthusiast, if that makes sense.

My DocfinderKorea agent is coming to pick me up later to remove the cast for my rhinoplasty ... hope everything is alright! I kinda like the shape and tip in cast now but I've read that the swelling will make the nose appear more bulbous and bigger and the tip will be slightly upturned but it will drop a little over time. But what if I like the tip now and do let want it drop!! Anybody knows roughly how much will the tip drop in its final stage?

Hooray! I’ve survived the first week of my rhinoplasty with no infection! I’ve had my splint and outer stitches of my nose removed at Banobagi 5 days post operation in Seoul. I must say that recovery is easier than I thought. I’m expecting a totally blocked nose that is 300% worse than the worst flu I’ve ever had and swelling so bad that there’ll be purple-red bulges around my eyes. I’m not one of those ladies where there’s zero bruising, but I have minimal bleeding and I can breathe quite comfortably through my nose just a day after surgery. Here’re what it’s like 7 days ensuing my rhinoplasty.

Day 1 – Visible swelling especially under the eyes. Shin from DocfinderKorea has arranged for me to go back to Banobagi to clean my nose and remove the dressing in my ear. There’s a little stinging, resembling that of an ant’s bite, but it’s not painful.

Day 2 – Swelling around my eyes at its worse although I can breath and eat quite normally.

Day 3 & 4 – The bruises have subsided to a greenish yellowish hue under my eyes and they’re not so puffy anymore.

Day 5 – Splint removal! April from DocfinderKorea has brought me to Banobagi. April used to be the consultant of Banobagi and she seems to know everyone when we’re there! I feel that I’ve quite a lot of attention because of DocfinderKorea. Chole (Banobagi’s consultant) remembers me by name, Stella (from Banobagi’s) recognizes me and give me lots of advice. The people at DocfinderKorea and Banobagi are simply fantastic.

Shin has actually offered to bring me to a salon to my hair and to go to the supermarket, but I’m here with my family so I’m fine. DocfinderKorea will most probably accede to most of your requests.

Coming back to the splint removal, the nurse has commented that my nose is really clean LOL. I’m a certified good and conscientious patient! I also get to see Dr Lee and he has said that my nose is literally in a good shape. Hooray!

Day 6 & 7 – Initially, I’m worried that my nose will become bigger and and more swollen after the splint is removed, but there’s no evidence of increased swelling. The greenish hue under my eyes is dissipating very slowly but I don’t think it’s the Tyndall’s effect from the fillers’ injection in my tear trough. (Yeah! I got that done too.) Here’s a pic at Day 7 with light make-up and minimal foundation – none on the nose!

Overall, I think my surgery is a success but I have to wait for the final result. Typically, the nose will continue to heal for 6 to 12 months and the tip of the nose will be the last to settle into its final shape.

For now, I’m happy with my raised nose bridge, lengthened columella, and the side profile of my nose (it’s slightly upturn now but Dr Lee has mentioned that the tip will go down a little in time). The only thing I’m not sure is my bulbous and round nose. Let’s hope that my nose will become more defined when the swelling goes down. Fingers crossed!

In retrospect, December is the peak period and it’s better to do plastic surgery in Seoul during other times of the year i.e. February. I’m fortunate to have engaged DocfinderKorea and have ample attention from Dr Lee and good aftercare from Banobagi’s staff. Shin even sends me several messages asking how am I after I return to Singapore. Thanks Shin for your impeccable service and taking such good care of me in Korea!

Hey Valerina!!
Just read your past, and wow i must say Banobagi did such a good job on the rhinoplasty surgery, hope you have a great recovery ahead!!
Just wondering, how long did you wait for DF to respond on feedbacks from the clinics??

Thanks! Either I'm getting used to my nose or I think the swelling has gone down more and I thought that my bridge is not as high as the first week. But ok lah.

I waited for 1-2 weeks for DF to respond. That's because DF will need to also wait for all the clinics to respond. So if you're going to Korea, it's good to contact DF at least 1-2 months in advance.

are they speak Eng well?

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Valenrina!! I'm considering Banobagi as my top pick for my nose. Your nose looks super good and how you described the process of everything seemed easy. I think I'll also do it with DocFinderKorea as well just to have a piece of mind. How did you go about scheduling the consultation/surgery day? Should I do it months prior to when I want to do it or can I fly there first and then schedule?

• 5 weeks later...
If you go with DocFinderKorea, you can just tell them your preferred dates for consultation and surgery and they will help you book with Banobagi.

If you have a lot of time in Korea, you can book a date for consultation in advance and decide on your surgery date later when you are in Korea. If you have time, you can also visit other clinics before finally deciding where you want to do your surgery. DocfinderKorea will help you with the visiting. Generally, try to arrange it a couple of weeks to 1 month in advance to make sure you get to see the doctor you want, especially during the peak season.

If you do not have a lot of time in Korea like me (I was only there for 8 days), and you know exactly what you are going to do and which doctor to choose, you can book both the consultation and surgery in advance. Once you book a date for surgery, you have to pay a deposit (I think about 10%, can't remember lol but not a big sum).

Thanks a lot for sharing Valenrina, your results look great. So docfinderkorea will also help you visit other clinics? Or only clinics off their list?

DFK can suggest a list of clinics for you, but ultimately you have to decide which are the clinics you want to visit and the one to do your surgery. DFK will help you to arrange visits to the clinics of your choice. So if you have anything in mind, just let them know. :smile:

Thanks for getting back to me, good info :smile: I've been talking to Jennifer from dfk, but also interested in Cinderella, Item, The Line and Plus Aesthetic clinics, so we'll see how it goes.