BeautyHacker

Wearing eye glasses after rhinoplasty

After nose surgery it's recommended to not wear eye or sun glasses for up to 6 weeks. This depends if you had an osteotomy and bridge work done.

This is because of the pressure that glasses can have on the nose in terms of their nose pads and the frame touching or resting on your nose bridge. This can be inconvenient if you need your glasses to actually see, read and or work.

Common solutions for this problem are taping the glasses to your forehead or buying special head band.

Taping

Special Head Band

• Like 2

On 10/11/2018 at 9:47 PM, honeyjello said:

Would wearing contact lenses be ok then?

What about if we just do tip work like tip plasty? Can we still wear glasses or sunglasses?

It depends on if the tip plasty effected your bridge at all, in the case of an alar plasty it should be fine, but best to ask your surgeon if it will be OK.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just to do an update, I got rhino a few days ago. My prescription is -9.50. On the day of surgery, I was able to wear my contacts up until I laid down on the operating table. After surgery, my eyes were not immediately swollen, but I didn't feel comfortable putting contact lens back in. My husband was able to guide me into a taxi back to our Airbnb, and I just went back to sleep. The next day, my eyes blew UP. I wore my glasses the whole day and used the tape method. LIFE-SAVER. I look like a cross between Alfalfa and Harry Potter and my husband can't help by laugh every time he sees me but it works — my glasses don't touch my (silicone implant) bridge at all and I can see fine. 

It's now almost 4 days post-op and the swelling around my eyes have gone down considerably, so I feel comfortable wearing contact lens again. However, at home I use the tape method, and I believe I will have to do this at least for the next 4 weeks. Hopefully my experience helps others who are interested in rhinoplasty but worried about getting lasik first. (I'm actually not a good candidate for lasik.)

• Like 2