BeautyHacker

How can I make my calves smaller?

I hear that if you sacrifice a male friend, you'll get the perfect body.... or at least a break from hearing about it! :nuts:

Seriously, Pilates tones and stretches (as does the out-of-date but very good still Callanetics program) and aside from that - they're your LEGS - not a wobbly gut or a double chin - they carry you about this beautiful planet.

So, accept them, and other people need to deal already!
<rant mode off :graucho: >

Cx

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the same problem. I have been on the treadmill and lifting weights this year and my calves actually increased in size.:shrugs:

So, I consulted my friend who was an olympic and pro sports team trainer and he showed me some stretching excercises. He said that it is mostly genetic but I should stretch the muscles before I work out so that they are elongated rather than allowing them to be compacted. I am not much of a tomboy so I still wear skirts all the time. The men seem to comment favorably so I guess it isn't all that bad. Maybe your calves aren't as bad as you think? We are our own worst critics.;)

:lol::lol::lol:

I agree with the ladies who suggested Pilates. Also, try to limit any impact cardio, such as running. Make sure you stretch, stretch, stretch after working out to help elongate your muscles :smile:

I have really big calves genetically even though practcing ballet for over 10 years did not help..! Anyway, I got over it and I make fun of it now...! But, I heard you can do liposuction...

I had lunch with a physician and my trainer friend again today. The physician said long distance running will make them smaller, but sprinting will make them bigger. I'm going to challenge their theory for the next month. I've been walking with the incline and lifting weights. This month I will run instead and I'll get back to you. Wish me luck:smile:

• 2 months later...
It depends. Are they larger due to fat or muscle. If the former, cardio will help the most. Whether it be pilates, swimming, eliptical trainer, even running. Repetitive activities like running and biking don't typically enlarge the muscle, so running should be fine. Also, you can't target fat loss, so calf raises or exercises that focus on the calves will do no more...aside from the normal cardio workout you'd get from it.
Even if they're a bit too musclely cardio will help, but not as much. It might just be a genetics thing.
Oh, and as a guy, I find it attractive when a girl has muscular calves. Don't know if that helps with your worries or not ;)

That is scary.

I have the same problem. My calves are muscular and I hate it. People always ask me how many miles I jog a day. I tell them I never measured the distance from my house to the mailbox. :P I hate running/jogging. I wish they weren't so muscular. =(((

yup. i heard it works too! it stops the muscles from growing. that's all. but i'm still afraid to do it.

• 1 month later...
i read this article in W that said that there are no surgeries for calves.. i really hate my calves too but i don't think its worth going under the knife.. i remember the article saying something about you can't get lipo in taht area because most of the time it is muscle

i would be too scared to consider something that extreme cause if something goes wrong in any type of procedure its a really really big risk you are taking cause your calf muscles are essential to walking (duh right)

but i've seen and heard there are lots of ways to wear skirts and shorts that can make your calves less noticable.. you can actually alter boots to make them bigger.. or wear loose leg warmers.. i'd definitely stay away from fitted boots (even if you can find one that fits you) or fitted leg warmers.. but i am def going to try pilates now.. thanks!

stretching and also using sauna wraps to cure bloating

but what my korean friends do.. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS BTW is they use pan rollers to roll their calves at night and also they pinch each other's calf muscle to make it smaller

Don't ask me why... I went on a trip with them and that's what they do at night...

for me stretching really helps and my friend who does yoga have developed some long lean muscles...

I was a swimmer during my puberty years and I'm naturally the tall lean type so I don't really have this problem

but if you are still during your developing years do swim, its a great way to sculpt your body