BeautyHacker

How can I make my calves smaller?

Ladies,
I've been following for a while, and stopped looking into procedure because my husband talked me out of it, and yet here I am back. I know I am going to do it. I am 26 and the longer we wait the harder for the body to recover. Surgery with dr. Park seems like ideal option but long recovery and expensive traveling got to me to look more.

I was so surprised to see this! http://pacificaesthetic.com/calf-reduction-beverly-hills/

Dr. Perry Liu with one of the reduction methods Calf Reduction Partial Muscle Resections , that's what Dr. Park does.

Did it became available in US? Did FDA authorized it? I emailed him just now and let you all know right away...

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Black Caviar,

I just found out about Dr. Liu and wrote him an email but haven't heard anything yet. Do you know anything about him performing calf muscle resections like what Dr. Park does? Because it listed under his options on the website for calf reductions and even specifically mentioned, Beverly Hills office.

Thank you!

Hi Everyone!

Sorry, I've been quite busy and didn't have time to post on the thread. I will try to be as descriptive as possible and provide some 'tips'.

(Approx.) 2 months post op:

My calves are getting less stiff day by day. Unfortunately, I have been wearing heels from time to time, so that delays my recovery, hence, makes my calves feeling more stiff. The stiffness is pretty frustrating, especially when you have to experience it for a longgg time and you have to keep stretching everyday for months. You really have to be patient about this whole slow recovery progress.

I believe adapting your LONG recovery with your life style is the hardest part. You have to put a lot more time everyday to take care of your calves, such as stretching, wrap bandages, massage calves, wear compression stockings, put healing scar cream,..etc.

Restricting yourself by not wearing heels is another really hard task for me as a heels lover. I tried not to wear heels, but unfortunately, I've got a lot of weddings to attend. I have no problems wearing heels, but my calves were really stiff the next few days.

Stretching is a Pain!!!! (not physically, but headache wise) I have to always worry about stretching times everyday. I tried to find some methods to make my life easier when doing stretches. I have been exploring other calf stretching exercises which I have researched online. I stretch whenever I am standing or sitting. Whenever I wait for the train, I will do some stretching on stairways (my fav stretch so far). I will lean forward towards the counter (another stretch) whenever I do cooking or applying skin care. I will elevate and extend my legs on a stand at work and do some stretching from time to time. I will stretch when I watch TV. Basically, I will try to grab any opportunity that allows me to do stretches throughout the day instead of finding a special time to do stretching. Yoga really helps for stretching. Unfortunately, I am feeling lazy to attend yoga classes.

The compression stockings are super tight and it takes a while to put them on. But, on the other hand, they make my legs look extremely thin. I brought three stockings from Dr. Park. I brought a pair of black thigh high open toe stockings, black pantyhoes, and beige thigh high closed toe stockings. I regretted buying the beige pair, because they do not match my skin care. I plan to buy more online, because I know I will be wearing them for a while. Any suggestions where I can order? I've seen a couple from Amazon. But I don't know if they are good or not.

Wrapping bandages every night is another annoying progress I have to go through. I need to make sure I wrap my bandages nice and perfect, because if I don't I will experience ecezma again. I don't even know how long the bandages will last. Anyone know where to buy new ones?

I went to a massage therapy a week ago and my calves feel AMAZING. I felt like my calves were extremely light and I feel 0 stiffness. It felt so good to the point I wanted to dance on the streets when I finished enjoying the massage. Unfortunately, the stiffness goes back the next morning. I am definately going back for another massage.

There are still some swelling around my ankles and calves, but they are not that noticeable anymore. The massage therapist advice me to lift my leg while keeping it straight and move them from side to side & up and down when lying down on bed. This will improve the circulation of the legs and will reduce swelling.

Both calves are around 32cm now. There's a little bit of insymmetry since my left calf looks bigger than my right calf. The empty spaces are still not filled out yet. Overall, I am pretty statisfied on how my calves look so far. I feel extremely happy when I tried on dresses, pencil skirts, skirts.. etc. This positive boost sure allows me to think positively during this long recovery process. So whenever I feel down about this whole surgery, I will just go shopping and try on new skirts. I'm just really happy that I can pull these dresses and skirts off. Before, I always look bad in them because of those big calves. I'm glad I did this surgery around end of summer since it looks quite weird to wear stockings during summer. No one noticed I had surgery when I show my calves with stockings on, they just think I've lost weight. But on the other hand, my close friends (who knew about the surgery) all said my calves look really good now compare to before.The scar is still visible at the back of my knees.

I can run now!!! I only need to run to catch the train/bus for work. Therefore, I do not know how long I can run for. I can definately run and walk normally now, although I do feel the area around the knees are still weak. I can do cardio aerobics no problem! I have been doing them one hour daily. I still cannot walk perfectly. If my walking is carefully examined, you can see that the area around my knees are quite weak.

The sharp pains are 90% gone. They come by rarely though. I do not remember the last time I have experienced it, probably 1-2 weeks ago. Hopefully, they will be gone soon. My calves still feel itchy, but it is a mild.

Hopefully I can regain my strength back.

Correction from my previous post:

I sometimes feel sharp pain when around the ball of my ankle when I do some deeper leg stretching exercises.

A lot of my muscles are filled in the empty spaces.therefore my calves no longer feel weird when I take off the bandages.

Hi ffxlulu!

I am soooooo happy to hear that your recovery is going on very well. Take care of yourself so you can regain your normal status very soon.

OMG! I had never seen it (partial muscle resection) before among the options given by Dr.Liu! Please let us know if Dr.Liu does that whenever you receive his answer back! Thanks!

Hi ffxlulu
Thank u for updating your experience. It give me more encourage to go for the surgery :x
Abt compression stockings, you can buy them on eBay :smile:
If you dont mind, can you share photos abt your calves now?

Hi Black Caviar :smile:

I actually just recently went in for a consultation with Dr. Liu. Really great experience with him and his team. If you don't mind, would you be able to get in touch with me through my email [email protected]?

Ffxlulu! Thanks for responding! So happy to hear that it's going well. You can get Juzo stockings as well. If they are really tight it's probably the 30mmhg support stockings. You can buy them on line.

hi gondolarez,

curious what is the double skinny op?

-linney

Hi gondolarez!

It is so bad to hear that you are not satisfied with your surgery result but would you let us know why you are not satisfied with it if you don't mind?:smile:

I actually posted under the thread OZ pictures so I'll just copy and paste my post from there! Extra information cox I realised my post isn't very detailed, but I did a nerve ablation surgery before in 2007? 2008? and it was actually really good, but over time, it somehow reconnected and it went back to its normal shape, but I guess it was still smaller than before.

(BTW, I changed the date because I realisesed I did the operation on December 2009, not 2010 as I stated in the other thread!)

Hi guys, I did my calf surgery at OZ in 2009, and at first, I really loved the results and I started wearing shorts and skirts but in 2011, I decided to pick up sports again since Dr. Park promised that the muscles that were removed will never grow back again. Well, the good news is, they never did grow back.

The bad news is, my right calf muscle was pretty big and long to begin with, like it occupied 2/3 of my lower leg. My left calf muscle was about 1/2. He said he couldn't excise the bottom part of my right calf muscle, just the top part, but no worries because the bottom part will naturally become smaller. And like I said, I picked up sports again, and now my right leg looks deformed. Right in the middle of my lower leg, a muscle pops out. I've gone back to wearing jeans :sad:

I've been trying to weigh my options but I really don't want to give up the sport that I love doing. Maybe when I'm older, when I finish school and start work, I know I would have to stop training, but right now, I want to enjoy my university life as much as I can. I don't want to do another revision surgery, or go to another place to cut my nerve etc. (I actually did that prior to my surgery at OZ and the nerves amazingly reconnected!)

If anyone has the same case as me, where their calf muscles are longer than most people and plans to continue an active lifestyle, I wouldn't recommend this surgery. In fact, the nerve ablation surgery produced a much better result, albeit a temporary one. But that's just my experience! :smile:

TBH, I can't remember much about that because I went down to a clinic which was talking about that operation before I decided on Dr. Park, so that was like in September 2009? Gosh time flies O_O Anyway, I remember it's a combination of nerve ablation surgery and something else. The procedure may have been improved since so many years have already passed! I can't remember the name of the clinic I went to, but I did some research and I found some of the famous calf surgery clinics here. I have yet to go down and talk to them about it because I'm still contemplating on when I want to do a revisional surgery.

I don't feel ready to give up my active lifestyle yet! And my sports club senior who's like 50+ and is a plastic surgeon told me that even if I choose a surgery that lets me recover in a short period of time, ex. nerve ablation, I wouldn't be able to play sports as well as I do now... and I'm kind of playing it competitively right now so.... ^^;;

Here are some of the clinics I found and I think there is an English version of the site.

http://www.soyoclinic.com/customer/bna/view.jsp?reqPageNo=1&no=38&searchHospitalFK=0&stype&sval

http://www.dreamsclinic.com/special/special1.asp?idx=contents&view=02_01

http://www.leeneclinic.com/special/calves.php?NVKWD=%EC%A2%85%EC%95%84%EB%A6%AC+%EA%B7%BC%EC%9C%A1%EC%A0%88%EC%A0%9C%EC%88%A0&NVADKWD=%EC%A2%85%EC%95%84%EB%A6%AC%EA%B7%BC%EC%9C%A1%EC%A0%88%EC%A0%9C%EC%88%A0&NVAR=PL&NVADID=193276813+0va0003PJwLe8cy000pD

http://www.ykme.co.kr/calf_center/calf_plastic/calf_plastic2.php

http://www.channel-leg.co.kr/index.php?sender=B